PDA

View Full Version : What chip contains the service number?

Tiros
07-09-2011, 01:04 PM
My Series4 has very low signal strength on both tuners. Started after a nearby lightening strike. Everything else works fine, I can get a picture if I amplify the signal a good bit, but even with the amp, the levels are still only in the 30~40 range.

I plan on buying a new Series4, and trying to repair the damage to the analog section with parts from the new unit. But perhaps it would be better if I could just replace the digital IC, that contains my lifetime sub information. I was thinking if remove the IC from the damaged Tivo, and transplant that into the new one I could retain my service number and subscription status.

Would that work?
What chip would that be?
Are there any other components that would be involved?
Would the old HDD work in the new unit, once I transplant the device?

Thanks for any adivice or tips on this situation.

unitron
07-12-2011, 10:01 AM
My Series4 has very low signal strength on both tuners. Started after a nearby lightening strike. Everything else works fine, I can get a picture if I amplify the signal a good bit, but even with the amp, the levels are still only in the 30~40 range.

I plan on buying a new Series4, and trying to repair the damage to the analog section with parts from the new unit. But perhaps it would be better if I could just replace the digital IC, that contains my lifetime sub information. I was thinking if remove the IC from the damaged Tivo, and transplant that into the new one I could retain my service number and subscription status.

Would that work?
What chip would that be?
Are there any other components that would be involved?
Would the old HDD work in the new unit, once I transplant the device?

Thanks for any adivice or tips on this situation.

On the Series 2, and, I think, the first Series 3 (the TCD648xxx), it was an Atmel chip, referred to around here as the "crypto chip" (I did a successful transplant on a Series 2 dual tuner to rescue 2TB worth of recordings), but I think somebody said that starting with the Series 3 HD and HD XL, the crypto chip was built into some other chip that would be about 100 times harder to swap. Tried to find the particular post but couldn't. You could try searching through all of Omikron's posts.

Omikron
07-13-2011, 02:06 AM
TiVo began storing the TSN on the CPU beginning with the TiVo HD, so the only way to to move TSN's between units is with an IR rework station and BGA reballing kit.

unitron
10-26-2011, 08:09 AM
TiVo began storing the TSN on the CPU beginning with the TiVo HD, so the only way to to move TSN's between units is with an IR rework station and BGA reballing kit.

So basically if you need to move a TSN on an HD or newer, you're balled?:D