PDA

View Full Version : TiVo considers hardware a "necessary evil"

wundernaut
08-18-2011, 01:24 AM
TiVo has just confirmed something we long suspected. On the July 30 edition of C-SPAN's "The Communicators", Matthew Zinn, Sr. VP and General Counsel at TiVo said "Well, TiVo's a software company. We make hardware mainly as a necessary evil. We don't make money on hardware. We don't really like making hardware." See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfQiKrJPRtQ&list=PL488946669A5E518E at about 1:50 in.

Explains a lot, eh?

stevel
08-18-2011, 07:37 PM
Not news - TiVo has been saying that for more than 10 years.

michaelmouse
09-16-2011, 11:06 AM
I don't keep up with this site on a regular basis, here today via the birthday congrats you sent. This is probably not news but was to me a couple of months ago. I use directv, since 1998 and a samsung 4040 tivo since about 2005. I probably found my repair help here a year or so ago[power supply]. My interest, since my unit has and will fail again is a new tivo but with directv. I followed the supposed announcements of the upcoming new directv tivo anxiously. Recently I called tivo about an issue and thought to ask the c.s. rep about the new directv tivo. He sounded like he new what he was talking about. He said directv has everything they need from tivo to do whatever they will do. I take that as they aren't going to do anything, it's all a sham to keep us as customers [directv]. So I am looking for internet sources of programming to replace directv along with whatever hardware. Haven't really got into it yet. Comments? Suggestions? Thanks Mickey