PDA

View Full Version : Sound popping on S3

Saturn
09-06-2011, 01:37 AM
I have an original S3 TiVo (model 648) and its got a bit of a strange problem. It seems to have trouble converting audio to PCM from Dolby Digital. It mostly works but intermittently pops terribly.

I've heard it from the analog audio out as well as HDMI to my TV (which negotiates 2-channel PCM.) It happens during the startup THX movie, so it isn't the recordings.

This isn't a huge problem, as I've had the box connected to a receiver for its entire life, it is just annoying that I HAVE to have it connected to a receiver. As far as I know it has always had this problem. Unfortunately I didn't discover it until long after the warranty had expired.

I'm guessing either there's a bad chip on it or a bad solder connection. The problem is, I don't have a clue WHICH chip actually does the down conversion to start poking at it. Nor would I know if its even possible to get a replacement chip...

The box has a lifetime sub on it, so I don't want to screw it up too badly but I'm not afraid to poke at it with a soldering iron if I know where to poke.

Ideas?

Omikron
09-06-2011, 01:09 PM
You could just move the lifetime sub to another 648 box by swapping the hard disks and the crypto chip...

Saturn
09-07-2011, 03:16 PM
I assume the crypto chip isn't socketed...

I could probably call TiVo and have them fix it (read: send me a refurb) for $150 or whatever they're charging these days.

Saturn
09-07-2011, 03:17 PM
Anyone know of a diagram of the 648 with the chips described? Used to be all sorts of stuff like that on the S1 and S2s.