PDA

View Full Version : linux can't read my tivo hard drive

svenn
09-27-2011, 07:15 PM
I recently received my PROM mod (Omikron) and have spent the past 3 weeks reading ......(buechel, ray, lrhorer, and many many others) ...to the point I am beyond confused. However, my main problem right now is "seeing" the Tivo hard drive while in Linux. I installed Debian Squeeze on an older stand alone PC and am using a Bytecc usb/sata/ide adapter to connect the Tivo drive to the usb port on the debian PC. The drive does not show up. If I place a usb thumbdrive in the same external port, I am able to read and copy files to the PC, so the ports work fine. If I go to >Applications>System Tools>Disk Utility, I can see the Tivo hard drive listed under "Peripheral Devices". When I click on the drive, the dialog box indicates "Device: /dev/sdb" and "Partitioning: Not Partitioned". The hard drive is a WDC WD10 EVDS 1tb A/V drive, which was a replacement for the original 160gb drive - done last year. Putting this drive back in the Tivo = perfect performance (record, delete, etc).

If I use the Bytecc adapter to connect another hard drive to my Windows PC, it works fine - so I know the adapter is not defective.

I tried using PCLinuxOS and Ubuntu, with the same result - can't read the Tivo drive (PCLinuxOS indicated the partition was corrupt and offered to format it - obviously I didn't do that).

I can't believe there is anything wrong with the 1tb Tivo hard drive, because I backed it up today (using winmfs) and also mad a complete copy onto another identical drive using mfscopy (the copied drive also works perfectly when placed into the Tivo).

This has been a very difficult struggle for me, being a complete novice regarding linux, but not being able to even "see" the Tivo drive is a bit crushing.

Any help will be appreciated.

Jamie
09-27-2011, 11:00 PM
Is linux not seeing the drive at all, or just not able to read the partition table? Did you use tivopart r (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?34501-Mounting-TiVo-HD-with-Linux-2.6&) to inform linux of the tivo partition table?

svenn
09-27-2011, 11:21 PM
Is linux not seeing the drive at all, or just not able to read the partition table? Did you use tivopart r (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?34501-Mounting-TiVo-HD-with-Linux-2.6&) to inform linux of the tivo partition table?

Thank you for the reply. I believe linux "is aware" of the drive because I was able to get the "no partition" info under "Disk Utility". Therefore, I guess the more accurate conclusion (as you allude to) is that linux is unable to read the partition. To answer your 2nd question, no, I did not use tivopart r. I was not aware of tivopart or how to use it. I am trying to read the associated threads you linked to in order to understand what tivopart is. As I stated in my OP, I know very little about linux. In the past 3-4 weeks, I have been reading posts in this forum and have purchased 3 linux references. I find it difficult to navigate this forum with such a poor foundation in linux, but I am trying to figure this out. I do appreciate the help. The distros I have tried (Linux Mint, Ubuntu, Debian Squeeze and PCLinuxOS, all "instantly recognized" any usb thumbdrive whenever they were plugged in - I assumed (...I know :)) that plugging in a usb adapter for the tivo hard drive was equivalent.

OK - back on point. I read through the thread on tivopart, but honestly am not sure how to use it. Any other suggestions are obviously appreciated. In my defense, I have been using windows for a long time and I am somewhat of an old dude. Just need my tivo....and this remote control....

Jamie
09-28-2011, 12:25 PM
Get the tivopart distribution from the referenced threads.
Be sure to read the README.tivopart. Your main focus should be on the "revalidate" option, which is all you really need to accomplish your goal. Tivopart is a more general tool, and the revalidate option is only one part of it.
Recompile from source, if necessary. This should only be needed if the provided x86 binaries won't run on your distribution. It is statically linked, so it may just work. Works for me on Fedore Core 14.
Make sure that the directory containing tivopart.x86 is on your PATH.
Plug in your tivo disk and identify the device name (e.g. /dev/sdX, where X is some letter).
Run tivopart.x86 r /dev/sdX. This reads the tivo partition table and informs the linux kernel of all the tivo partitions.
The tivo partitions should now be recognized by the linux kernel and should be available for use. For example, you can mount the tivo var partition on mount point /mnt via: mount /dev/sdX9 /mnt where /dev/sdX is the device name for the tivo disk identify in the previous step.

The other option, rather than using tivopart, is to use a linux kernel that has been modified to recognize the tivo partitions automatically. This is the old school approach. It is more work if you are trying to work with a standard linux distribution, unless compiling kernels is in your repertoire. Custom iso disks specifically designed for tivo hacking usually use this approach.

Clear as mud?

svenn
09-28-2011, 01:26 PM
jamie -
Not as muddy as before, thnks. I tried running the command, but I get "permission denied". I had copied the tivopart folder to my home folder on the debian PC. Using superuser terminal, I typed path command (PATH=$PATH:/home/svenn/tivopart/bin) and then typed "tivopart.x86 r /dev/sdb". How do I fix the "permission denied"? Maybe I am better off using a custom iso disk, as you mentioned. I have been operating on the assumption (i know...:)) that I needed a full Linux install. Can you point me to a CD ISO that is appropriate for my TiVoHD (software version 11.0k)? Thank you again for your help. After many days of reading in circles and becoming discouraged, I feel very optimistic right now. svenn

svenn
09-28-2011, 04:43 PM
jamie -
Not as muddy as before, thnks. I tried running the command, but I get "permission denied". I had copied the tivopart folder to my home folder on the debian PC. Using superuser terminal, I typed path command (PATH=$PATH:/home/svenn/tivopart/bin) and then typed "tivopart.x86 r /dev/sdb". How do I fix the "permission denied"? Maybe I am better off using a custom iso disk, as you mentioned. I have been operating on the assumption (i know...:)) that I needed a full Linux install. Can you point me to a CD ISO that is appropriate for my TiVoHD (software version 11.0k)? Thank you again for your help. After many days of reading in circles and becoming discouraged, I feel very optimistic right now. svenn

Jamie - thanks for your help. I have given up on the full blown Linux install and will use the MFSLive Linux Boot CD ver 1.4. I tried it and was able to identify the active partition on my tivo drive (partition 6) and have copied "busybox.replace_initrd.x86" and "null-linuxrc.img.gz" to a thumbdrive, in preparation for modifying kernel. The final step for me seems to be patching the tivo_app file and disabling the CCI byte. I found several references to psxboy's tivo_app patch for version 11.0k, but could not find a download link anywhere. I did find (and downloaded) "RemoveCpiAll.tcl" but am not sure if this should be used on my version (11.0k) or if it is the same as a tivo_app patch. I am a bit stuck at the moment, but feel that progress is being made.

drcos
09-28-2011, 07:17 PM
I believe RemoveCpiAll.tcl is not version specific. But do NOT use RemoveCpiAll.tcl until you have patched your TivoApp with ignoredrmsig1 and ignoredrmsig2. See this thread (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?60103-Removing-CopyProtectionInfo-from-S3-TivoHD-Recordings/page2), especially posts 25 and 35.
Please backup your drive before you do, so you can always go back and try again.

svenn
09-28-2011, 07:56 PM
I believe RemoveCpiAll.tcl is not version specific. But do NOT use RemoveCpiAll.tcl until you have patched your TivoApp with ignoredrmsig1 and ignoredrmsig2. See this thread (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?60103-Removing-CopyProtectionInfo-from-S3-TivoHD-Recordings/page2), especially posts 25 and 35.
Please backup your drive before you do, so you can always go back and try again.

drcos - thank you for your response. The reference I alluded to in my post # 6, is in fact, Post # 35 (ScanMan) that you linked me to. That is also the post that I had problems with. ScanMan states,

"...What you need to do is patch your tivoapp for the appropriate software version so it will ignore the DRM signatures (and hence not delete the invalid recordings), as well as the noencryption patch. psxboy has posted the patches for 11.0j in this thread and for 11.0k (ignoredrm) in that thread. After you have tivoapp patched, then run tivo4mevo's RemoveCpiAll.tcl script."

The problem I had was I think the words "this" (in this thread..) and "that (in that thread..) were supposed to be links, but do not function that way for me (clicking had no effect). I did a forum search for "psxboy's 11.0k patch" and could not find anything. Maybe there used to be links in that thread that are no longer working.

Again, thank you for your help. If there is a working link somewhere to psxboy's 11.0k tivoapp patch, I would love a heads up. Thanks again.

ScanMan
09-28-2011, 10:43 PM
Here is the post with all the tivoapp patches for 11.0k: http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?64081-11.0k-starting-to-roll-out&p=310041#post310041

svenn
09-30-2011, 04:23 PM
Here is the post with all the tivoapp patches for 11.0k: http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?64081-11.0k-starting-to-roll-out&p=310041#post310041

Thank you, ScanMan. I have run into yet another roadblock. I consider myself a reasonably patient person, but...this has really become a long process (numbering in the weeks). My current problem involves accessing my thumbdrive. In a stand alone PC, I boot with the latest MFSLive Linux Boot CD (Ver 1.4). I then connect my TiVO drive (using sata-usb adapter) to a usb port. MFSLive recognizes the drive as "sda" and I can check the partition map ("pdisk -l /dev/sda") and the active partition ("bootpage -b /dev/sda") - in this case, it is partition 6. I copied onto a usb thumbdrive, the following files: "busybox.replace_initrd.x86" and "null-linuxrc.img.gz" (both extracted from NillaZilla's tarball). I also copied "tivoapppatches.tcl", which you linked me to. When I plug in the thumbdrive, MFSLive recognizes it as sdb. Now the problem - and unfortunately for me, a public display of ignorance. Using no_cci's approach, when I attempt to replace the kernel by typing "busybox.replace_initrd.x86 /dev/sda6 null-linuxrc.img.gz original_kernel.bak, I get "busybox.replace_initrd.x86 not found". I have spent the last 2 hours reading everything I could find on DDB regarding use of a thumbdrive with MFSLive CD. Nowhere could I find anything that specified any special command or usage in order to get access to the thumbdrive.

I am stuck again. For what I am trying to do (disable CCI and allow TTG transfers to PC), the process is probably 15 minutes for the veteran DDB'ers. For me, it has been over a month and since I am retired, some days I have literally spent 10-12 hours reading and reading. I do appreciate the help I have gotten, but it has been a very frustrating experience. My biggest obstacle is Linux.

Thank you for any further help you can provide.

ScanMan
09-30-2011, 07:14 PM
I'm not sure of your steps. Have you mounted the thumbdrive? Typically something like:
mount /dev/sdb1 /dosThis will give you access to the contents of thumbdrive at the directory (mountpoint) /dos. Then you would either cd to /dos or run it using the full path. The only other thing would be making sure you decompress the gzip/tarball using the appropriate tool, I like 7-zip on Windows.

svenn
09-30-2011, 08:25 PM
(i replied a few seconds ago, but not sure what happened - if this ends up as a double post - my apologies)

thank you thank you thank you, scanman - I was able to execute the replace_initrd and null-linuxrc commands and they seem to have worked. When I tried the "tvapppatches-11.0k.tcl", I got the following error message:

line 28: syntax error: "}" unexpected (expecting "then").

Not sure if the tivoapp was modified to disable the cci bytes, or not. I remember seeing a post, some time ago, that referenced a way to check if the tivoapp was modified correctly. I tried searching for it, but cannot find it. probably not using correct search terms. I can put the drive back in the tivo, record somethin, and see if it is still flagged and whether I can transfer via TTG.

I cannot tell you how much I appreciate your help -even with such trivial stuff as this. It is a big deal to me, however.

ScanMan
09-30-2011, 08:40 PM
If you got a syntax error, it didn't patch. You might be missing a bracket or something. Maybe try downloading it again. Make sure you don't modify the file in notepad or anything, you want to make sure it is saved as a unix file type not dos. The scripts drmcheck.tcl and ciphercheck can tell you if encryption has been disabled. To use them, you need the tivotools installed.

svenn
09-30-2011, 08:50 PM
ok - will download it again. when i downloaded it before, the only "save" options were "save as .tcl file" or "other files". I didn't do any modification to the file. I did open the file just now in WordPad and in the remarks section it says:

"tvapppatches.tcl is not meant to be run directly.
# it is sourced by tvapppatch, and contains patches to be
# applied to tivoapp. The format is as below, with the name set
# to "patch_"+sw version, followed by the patch location, the
# expected original contents, and the new value."

Am i missing some other related file that goes with tvapppatches.110k.tcl? or is it supposed to just be run by itself after doing "replace_initrd" and "null-linuxrc"?

Just found "tvapppatch.tcl" which apparently uses "tvapppatches.11.0k.tcl". will try to figure out the syntax for using both files and try again.

thanks again.

lrhorer
09-30-2011, 09:29 PM
jamie -
Not as muddy as before, thnks. I tried running the command, but I get "permission denied".
The system has to be told to allow the binary to be executed. A typical binary is given read and execute permissions for some set of users. Issuing the command `chmod 555 tivopart` (from within the directory containing tivopart - otherwise use the fully qualified pathname) will give permissions for every user to read and execute tivopart.

I had copied the tivopart folder to my home folder on the debian PC. Using superuser terminal, I typed path command (PATH=$PATH:/home/svenn/tivopart/bin) and then typed "tivopart.x86 r /dev/sdb".
I don't recommend that. The path variable won't survive a reboot. I would place the tivopart file in a directory that is already in the path. /usr/local/bin may be a good choice. To look at the path, type `echo $PATH`

How do I fix the "permission denied"? Maybe I am better off using a custom iso disk, as you mentioned.
It's not what I would recommend. Unless you modify the .iso, which tends to be a bit of a pain, every time you boot the live CD you will need to re-implement the changes freehand.

I have been operating on the assumption (i know...:)) that I needed a full Linux install.
No, it isn't required, but it's a lot less trouble, if you ask me, especially the second, third, etc. time you hack a TiVo, or even if one must reboot during the first attempt. With an ordinary Linux install, your changes can be saved so they live through a reboot. Another issue with most of the custom live CDs used for hacking is there is not access to the internet or tools like a web browser or sophisticated editors. That, plus a Linux boot allows you to wean yourself away from bloated, slow, hard to use, and expensive software - AKA Windows.

ScanMan
09-30-2011, 09:37 PM
ok - will download it again. when i downloaded it before, the only "save" options were "save as .tcl file" or "other files". I didn't do any modification to the file. I did open the file just now in WordPad and in the remarks section it says:

"tvapppatches.tcl is not meant to be run directly.
# it is sourced by tvapppatch, and contains patches to be
# applied to tivoapp. The format is as below, with the name set
# to "patch_"+sw version, followed by the patch location, the
# expected original contents, and the new value."

Am i missing some other related file that goes with tvapppatches.110k.tcl? or is it supposed to just be run by itself after doing "replace_initrd" and "null-linuxrc"?

Just found "tvapppatch.tcl" which apparently uses "tvapppatches.11.0k.tcl". will try to figure out the syntax for using both files and try again.

thanks again.Ok I see the problem; it's a little confusing. Yes, "tvapppatch.tcl" is the main script and the "tvapppatches.tcl" is the actual patch file. It was renamed to denote the 11.0k version. You can just rename "tvapppatches-11.0k.tcl" to "tvapppatches.tcl" and then just run the "tvapppatch.tcl" (singular) and it will recognize the "tvapppatches.tcl" file and use it to patch. Otherwise you can use the -p option to "tvapppatch.tcl" and give it the actual name of your patch file (tvapppatches-11.0k.tcl). Clear as mud?

lrhorer
09-30-2011, 09:46 PM
Jamie - thanks for your help. I have given up on the full blown Linux install and will use the MFSLive Linux Boot CD ver 1.4. I tried it and was able to identify the active partition on my tivo drive (partition 6) and have copied "busybox.replace_initrd.x86" and "null-linuxrc.img.gz" to a thumbdrive, in preparation for modifying kernel. The final step for me seems to be patching the tivo_app file and disabling the CCI byte.
Busybox should not be required to hack the kernel for any reason of which I can think. You probably do want a cross-compiled copy of BusyBox on your TiVo, but it isn't required for basic hacking. You do, however, need to modify rc.sysinit.author to (at a minimum) enable telnet and ftp. Tivoapp can be patched either with the drive attached to the PC or on a running TiVo. Doing it on a running TiVo requires a couple of extra steps.

svenn
09-30-2011, 10:01 PM
lrhorer - thank you for the tips. at this point, i have the tvapppatch.tcl and tvapppatches-11.0k.tcl files on the thumbdrive (mounted as "mount /dev/sdb1 /dos"). when I cd to/dos and "ls" - i see all the files on the thumbdrive. I have already done replace_initrd and null-linuxrc - but when i type "/dos tvapppatch.tcl" i get "permission denied". I did try your suggestion of "/dos chmod 555 tvapppatch.tcl" but got the same "permission denied. I am alomost at the goal of getting the cci dilled and actually getting to use my tivo again. just need to know syntax or procedure for ececuting the tvapppatch files (both). again - any help is greatly appreciated.

lrhorer
09-30-2011, 10:11 PM
I am stuck again. For what I am trying to do (disable CCI and allow TTG transfers to PC), the process is probably 15 minutes for the veteran DDB'ers.
If you have your ducks in a row, it's closer to 15 seconds, actually, excluding reboot times. One reason I do not care for the live CD approach is it is more difficult to modify the system so that all the hacking tools are ready to go, specific for one's own desires, right at one's fingertips. Remember, it is extremely likely you will have to do this again.

For me, it has been over a month and since I am retired, some days I have literally spent 10-12 hours reading and reading.
It shouldn't require that. I think you need to outline the process step by setp on a notepad in your own words, and leave space for notes anywhere you are uncertain of the process. Then ask us for help.

I do appreciate the help I have gotten, but it has been a very frustrating experience.
I expect that is due to a fear of failure and its consequences. Get a fully working backup of your TiVo drive to start with and use it - not your system drive - to work with. Then you don't haev to fear failure.

My biggest obstacle is Linux.
Linux is very easy and extremely powerful, but you do need to understand what you are doing at each step before you do it. Break the process down into individual steps and anytime you do not fully understand what the command you are about to type does and what its variants imply: ask.

lrhorer
09-30-2011, 10:18 PM
lrhorer - thank you for the tips. at this point, i have the tvapppatch.tcl and tvapppatches-11.0k.tcl files on the thumbdrive (mounted as "mount /dev/sdb1 /dos"). when I cd to/dos and "ls" - i see all the files on the thumbdrive. I have already done replace_initrd and null-linuxrc - but when i type "/dos tvapppatch.tcl" i get "permission denied". I did try your suggestion of "/dos chmod 555 tvapppatch.tcl" but got the same "permission denied. I am alomost at the goal of getting the cci dilled and actually getting to use my tivo again. just need to know syntax or procedure for ececuting the tvapppatch files (both). again - any help is greatly appreciated.
You can't have a space between the directory name and the file name in Linux (or Windows, for that matter). If you are going to be executing files from a directory, it may be easier to do `cd /<directory name>` or in this case, `cd /dos`. Otherwise, you will need to issue the command as /dos/tvapppatch.tcl. OTOH, chmod should be in your path, so after `cd /dos`, all you need to type is `chmod 555 tvapppatch.tcl`

If the file you are trying to execute is not in your path, then you must point to it explicitly. If you are in /dos, and the file is in /dos, then you can simply issue the command `./<filename>`. The phrase "./" means "in the current directory".

(A litttle hint, you can probably type that as `chmod 555 tv<tab>` Bash should complete the filename for you.)

Give me a second...

svenn
09-30-2011, 10:25 PM
thanks lrhorer. i have been keeping notes - have a folder full. the question i have right now, is "how do i get the 2 tvapppatch files From the thumbdrive To the tivo drive? It is ok with me if I have to pull the drive every couple of months and reapply hacks. All I want is to disable cci so I can transfer recordings to PC via TTG. The other utilities/apps are cool, but that is all I need. Just can't get over this hump. I have the files I need - how to use them correctly?

I am not sure which partition (on tivo) contains the tivoapp file that needs modifying. If you could tell me that (my current active partition is 6), and how to copythe 2 patch files into that partition (and specific directory on that partition), all I would have to do is run the script, as ScanMan outlined. The permission issue is still unclear to me as well.

Hopefully, I have not worn out my welcome at DBB. I am an utter novice at this, but am totally comitted (or soon will be...) to succeeding at this. thanks again.

ScanMan
09-30-2011, 10:32 PM
Firs you need to make sure you mount your tivo drive partiton. I thought you said your root was the 6th partition. If so
mount /dev/sda6 /tivo
cp tvapppatch.tcl tvapppatches-11.0k.tcl /tivo/var/hacksI just used /var/hacks as an example; put it where you want on the tivo drive (mounted at /tivo). You can't run .tcl from mfslive; you'll have to apply tvapppatch.tcl in a telnet session for example. If you want to patch the tivoapp on your PC you'll have to use the 'dd' methods.

lrhorer
09-30-2011, 10:33 PM
Oops. I've never used tivoapppatch, so I did not know it was designed for use on the TiVo.

svenn
09-30-2011, 10:40 PM
"bootpage -b /dev/sda" returns "6" - so I think that means the active partition with the kernel. Then, I would want to move the tvapppatch files to partition 7 (root)?

BTW - thanks lrhorer - used chmod 555 in /dos, on each relevant file - worked perfectly.

ok, back to patch files. Just to make sure I understand: if I copy the 2 files to partition 7 (root), i can not run them by cd to that directory and running the script?

lrhorer
09-30-2011, 10:47 PM
thanks lrhorer. i have been keeping notes - have a folder full. the question i have right now, is "how do i get the 2 tvapppatch files From the thumbdrive To the tivo drive?
See Scanman's response. If you want to perform the hacks from the PC (my preferred method), you might be better served using the method I outline in my scripts referenced in my tagline. I know that others have used my scripts with Live CDs, but I cannot guarantee they will work there.

It is ok with me if I have to pull the drive every couple of months and reapply hacks.
It shouldn't be that often, especially now TiVo has capped development on the S3 platform. That's part of the problem, though unless you have the process all rolled up and ready to go, you are liable to forget most of it if you don't have to do it again for 9 months or more. Like many of us, you may also decide to get another TiVo or two.

All I want is to disable cci so I can transfer recordings to PC via TTG. The other utilities/apps are cool, but that is all I need.
You are going to need at least telnet and ftp, no matter what.

Just can't get over this hump. I have the files I need - how to use them correctly?
Well, you can copy over the .tcl files to a directory on the TiVo, but you are going to have to do a bit of other work, first. Do you want to proceed with the in-situ hack of tivoapp, or hack it from the PC? I prefer the latter.

I am not sure which partition (on tivo) contains the tivoapp file that needs modifying.
We'll get to that in a minute. First tell us if you want to get all the patches done while you have the drive pulled, or complete them after the drive is back in the TiVo.

Hopefully, I have not worn out my welcome at DBB.
Not even a little bit.

lrhorer
09-30-2011, 10:49 PM
"bootpage -b /dev/sda" returns "6" - so I think that means the active partition with the kernel. Then, I would want to move the tvapppatch files to partition 7 (root)?
No.

ok, back to patch files. Just to make sure I understand: if I copy the 2 files to partition 7 (root), i can not run them by cd to that directory and running the script?
Not yet, no.

svenn
09-30-2011, 10:54 PM
i would like to patch while the drive is pulled

lrhorer
09-30-2011, 10:57 PM
Take a look at these lines from my script:

# Get the active root partition using bootpage (assumes root=/dev/hdaX is the first parameter).
root=$( /hack/bootpage -p $dspec | cut -d" " -f1 )

# Get the active kernel partition using bootpage
kerndrv=$dspec$( /hack/bootpage -b $dspec )
As you can see, `bootpage -b` returns the partition with the kernel. Similarly, `bootpage -p` returns the root partition. Ordinarily, if the kernel is in partition 6, then root will be in 7, but not necessarily. One should always check. You can place files in the root partition or its subdirectories, but it's probably better to put them in /var, which should be partition 9.

lrhorer
09-30-2011, 10:59 PM
i would like to patch while the drive is pulled
OK, then. Forget about tivoapppatch. I recommend we work with the regular Linux boot, if you still have it available. Is that OK, or are you adamant about using the Live CD?

svenn
09-30-2011, 10:59 PM
ran bootpage -p. my "root" is partition 7.

svenn
09-30-2011, 11:01 PM
i am adamant about using whatever works :) am booting to debian squeeze (though it feels like mars to me).

svenn
09-30-2011, 11:03 PM
the problem i had earlier with regular linux, was i could not get linux to accept "tivopart.x86 r", so i could not access my tivo drive.

lrhorer
09-30-2011, 11:09 PM
ran bootpage -p. my "root" is partition 7.
OK, that's good, but before we continue, let's decide whether you will be using the Live CD or the regular Linux boot.

lrhorer
09-30-2011, 11:11 PM
i am adamant about using whatever works :) am booting to debian squeeze (though it feels like mars to me).
Don't worry. We'll get it working like a champ. When you installed Debian, did you install a desktop (probably Gnome) or just a command line?

svenn
09-30-2011, 11:13 PM
i don't remember choosing between the two, but i definitely have a desktop

lrhorer
09-30-2011, 11:18 PM
i don't remember choosing between the two, but i definitely have a desktop
OK, is the PC plugged in to your LAN so it has internet access? That will make it easier. In the mean time, bring up a terminal window as root and type the following:

mkdir /hack
cd /hack

svenn
09-30-2011, 11:20 PM
ok - made the /hack

also, i am connected to LAN

svenn
09-30-2011, 11:24 PM
if it makes things easier, i have downloaded just about every file/script/etc i could find over the past couple of weeks. so have those available to copy to thumbdrive.

lrhorer
09-30-2011, 11:25 PM
also, i am connected to LAN
Excellent. Now type

iceweasel &

This should bring up the iceweasel browser (a port of Firefox)
Go to <Edit> => <Preferences> and set the "Save files to" setting to /hack. Then browse to this forum

lrhorer
09-30-2011, 11:27 PM
if it makes things easier, i have downloaded just about every file/script/etc i could find over the past couple of weeks. so have those available to copy to thumbdrive.
Do you have a reasonably fast internet connection? I think that's probably easiest, given that I can't see your list of files.

You have a TiVoHD, not an original S3?

svenn
09-30-2011, 11:29 PM
ok - i am there

svenn
09-30-2011, 11:30 PM
yes - i have a fast connection and my tivo is a tivo HD

svenn
09-30-2011, 11:35 PM
here a some of the files on my hard drive:

replace_initrd.x86.tar
tivohacks32.tar.gz
tivohacks64.tar.gz
tivopart (subdirectories = bin & src)
tivotools.tar.7z
RemoveCpiAll.tcl
Gen06-netopt-ext3.tar.bz2
tivowebplus-v2.1.b3-090121.tgz
tserver v1

lrhorer
09-30-2011, 11:40 PM
OK, do you know how to cut-and-paste in Linux? It is easier than in Windows. Simply put your cursor where you want to paste, highlight the text you want to copy, and then click the middle mouse button. IF you are pasting between windows, you will need to bring the target window backinto focus. If you do not have a middle mouse button, some apps (like iceweasel) support pressing Ctrl-V.

Navigate to the link in my tagline and go to reply #36. From there, select http://fletchergeek.com/images/tivohacks64.tar.gz to download. Then follow the links to get tivopart, nullinitrd, etc.

lrhorer
09-30-2011, 11:43 PM
You need:
replace_initrd.x86.tar
null-linuxrc.img.gz
tivohacks64.tar.gz
tivopart (subdirectories = bin & src)

Once you have those, go to the command line and type

ls -l

copy and paste the result into a response in this thread.

svenn
09-30-2011, 11:54 PM
replace_initrd.x86.tar and null-linuxrc.img.gz are both in the tarball.

root@debian:/hack# ls -l
total 4356
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 12128 Sep 30 23:49 replace_initrd.x86.tar.gz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3514304 Sep 30 23:48 tivohacks64.tar.gz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 925556 Sep 30 23:50 tivopart-20040530.zip

lrhorer
10-01-2011, 12:00 AM
Download the enclosed tarball to your /hack directory and type

tar -xzvf hack.gz
ls -l

Once more, copy and paste to this thread.

svenn
10-01-2011, 12:04 AM
total 4396
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1821 Oct 1 00:01 hack(2).gz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1821 Oct 1 00:01 hack(3).gz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1821 Oct 1 00:01 hack(4).gz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1821 Oct 1 00:01 hack(5).gz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1821 Oct 1 00:01 hack(6).gz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1821 Oct 1 00:02 hack(7).gz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1821 Oct 1 00:02 hack(8).gz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1821 Oct 1 00:01 hack.gz
-rwxr--r-- 1 root steve 2728 Sep 30 23:51 hack_tivo
-rwxr--r-- 1 root steve 2276 Sep 30 23:52 hack_tivoapp

lrhorer
10-01-2011, 12:08 AM

OK, type
tar -xzvf replace_initrd.x86.tar.gz
gunzip tivohacks64.tar.gz
chmod 755 tivo_hack*
ls -l
unzip -v tivopart-20040530.zip

then copy and paste again.

lrhorer
10-01-2011, 12:11 AM
total 4396
<chuckle>
OK, you managed to get 9 copies of hack.gz on the drive. :)
Let's get rid of them:

rm "hack("*

be sure to include the "

svenn
10-01-2011, 12:11 AM
i think i messed up one of the downloads. there is no "replace_initrd.x86.tar" when i expand the "replace_initrd.x86.tar.gz", that one doesn't show up.

svenn
10-01-2011, 12:12 AM
rm "hack("* done

svenn
10-01-2011, 12:13 AM
new copy/paste

total 4396

svenn
10-01-2011, 12:15 AM
obviously, my copy/paste method (control + c & control + V) is causing this

svenn
10-01-2011, 12:16 AM
CORRECTED COPY / PASTE

total 4368

lrhorer
10-01-2011, 12:22 AM
No worries.

Hmm. The command

tar -xvzf replace_initrd.x86.tar.gz

should have decompressed the file. Try it again, and make sure there are no errors. Report back if there are, and copy and paste again if not.

svenn
10-01-2011, 12:25 AM
this is result of decompressing (there were no errors) :

root@debian:/hack# tar -xvzf replace_initrd.x86.tar.gz
replace_initrd.c
replace_initrd.x86
null-linuxrc.img.gz
busybox.replace_initrd.x86
busybox.replace_initrd.c
replace_initrd.mips
README.replace_initrd

lrhorer
10-01-2011, 12:28 AM
obviously, my copy/paste method (control + c & control + V) is causing this
Oh, hey, it just occurred to me. Don't use <Ctrl>v or <Ctrl>c in the terminal window. To paste there it has to either be the middle button or a chord click of the left and right button together.

lrhorer
10-01-2011, 12:30 AM
OK, good. Now do

gunzip tivohacks64.tar.gz
ls -l

paste back the results.

svenn
10-01-2011, 12:32 AM
you originally told me follow link in tagline (S3 Hacking Scripts) to post 36 - but there was nothing in that post. I found the download links for replace_initrd.x86xxxxx in post 39, that took me to NillaZilla's 2 downloads. I chose the non-mips one.

lrhorer
10-01-2011, 12:34 AM
you originally told me follow link in tagline (S3 Hacking Scripts) to post 36 - but there was nothing in that post. I found the download links for replace_initrd.x86xxxxx in post 39, that took me to NillaZilla's 2 downloads. I chose the non-mips one.
Sorry, that was a typo. #39, not #36

svenn
10-01-2011, 12:34 AM
root@debian:/hack# gunzip tivohacks64.tar.gz
total 11284
-rw-rw-r-- 1 500 501 2499 Sep 27 2007 busybox.replace_initrd.c
-rwxrwxr-x 1 500 501 6589 Sep 27 2007 busybox.replace_initrd.x86
-rw-rw-r-- 1 500 501 432 Feb 2 2007 null-linuxrc.img.gz
-rw-rw-r-- 1 500 501 2427 Sep 27 2007 README.replace_initrd
-rw-rw-r-- 1 500 501 2755 Feb 2 2007 replace_initrd.c
-rwxr-xr-x 1 500 501 20850 Oct 19 2006 replace_initrd.mips
-rwxrwxr-x 1 500 501 6573 Feb 2 2007 replace_initrd.x86
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 10526720 Sep 30 23:48 tivohacks64.tar

svenn
10-01-2011, 12:35 AM
i should have figured that out. getting punchy. more coffee.

lrhorer
10-01-2011, 12:38 AM
We're almost there. Type

unzip -v tivopart-20040530.zip

and paste back the results

svenn
10-01-2011, 12:43 AM
here is copy/paste for the unzip of tivopart. these don't show up when i do "ls -l" in "/hack". I am guessing that the separate directories (src and bin) were unzipped to another directory?

root@debian:/hack# unzip -v tivopart-20040530.zip
Archive: tivopart-20040530.zip
Length Method Size Cmpr Date Time CRC-32 Name
-------- ------ ------- ---- ---------- ----- -------- ----
0 Stored 0 0% 2004-05-30 17:09 00000000 src/
2259 Defl:N 1149 49% 2003-06-15 22:11 ecefd801 src/version.h
1248 Defl:N 692 45% 2003-06-15 22:11 e693a4b2 src/validate.h
10352 Defl:N 3413 67% 2003-06-15 22:11 c24d7b09 src/validate.c
1396 Defl:N 780 44% 2003-06-15 22:11 2c786d12 src/util.h
3553 Defl:N 1565 56% 2003-06-15 22:11 63a814eb src/util.c
13650 Defl:N 4206 69% 2004-05-08 10:01 4bad5d0a src/tivopart.c
1994 Defl:N 725 64% 2003-10-05 16:08 6cc75aed src/tivo_partition-2.4.21.patch
8476 Defl:N 1980 77% 2003-06-15 22:11 e2bf3648 src/pdisk.r
64000 Defl:N 6832 89% 2003-06-15 22:11 e3bd852b src/pdisk.mac.bin
14749 Defl:N 5367 64% 2003-06-15 22:11 2d65d002 src/pdisk.html
1238 Defl:N 691 44% 2003-06-15 22:11 6ee4fa94 src/pdisk.h
24144 Defl:N 6192 74% 2003-06-15 22:11 fa45d789 src/pdisk.c
5988 Defl:N 2421 60% 2003-06-15 22:11 72c4a5d2 src/pdisk.8
1377 Defl:N 748 46% 2003-06-15 22:11 42e774f2 src/pathname.h
5556 Defl:N 1613 71% 2004-05-28 17:56 c8089d94 src/pathname.c
3413 Defl:N 1353 60% 2003-06-15 22:11 387158b3 src/partition_map.h
32671 Defl:N 7571 77% 2004-05-28 17:56 dbc27aa3 src/partition_map.c
4296 Defl:N 1514 65% 2004-05-28 17:49 cbf28498 src/media.h
3883 Defl:N 1388 64% 2004-05-28 17:54 838f61e4 src/media.c
5204 Defl:N 1808 65% 2003-10-28 19:02 2635f104 src/makefile
4351 Defl:N 1675 62% 2003-11-26 15:56 4de589a6 src/lba48chk.c
1521 Defl:N 813 47% 2003-06-15 22:11 324fb909 src/layout_dump.h
4296 Defl:N 1609 63% 2003-06-15 22:11 0756d76c src/layout_dump.c
1690 Defl:N 900 47% 2003-06-15 22:11 c2911e7d src/io.h
7977 Defl:N 2583 68% 2003-06-15 22:11 8f0d9962 src/io.c
381 Defl:N 217 43% 2003-06-15 22:11 0db889c0 src/hfs_misc.h
6280 Defl:N 2153 66% 2003-06-15 22:11 6bab00f6 src/hfs_misc.c
2275 Defl:N 978 57% 2003-09-27 18:36 a8a137ba src/getkey.c
1299 Defl:N 719 45% 2003-06-15 22:11 93e3007f src/file_media.h
12238 Defl:N 3627 70% 2003-06-15 22:11 9f00a04e src/file_media.c
1355 Defl:N 749 45% 2003-06-15 22:11 8ccd98c5 src/errors.h
3525 Defl:N 1406 60% 2003-06-15 22:11 53fe9180 src/errors.c
1716 Defl:N 876 49% 2003-06-15 22:11 18eeb759 src/dump.h
22294 Defl:N 6183 72% 2003-06-15 22:11 cde2b8fe src/dump.c
7952 Defl:N 2681 66% 2003-06-15 22:11 fb46c468 src/dpme.h
1275 Defl:N 696 45% 2003-06-15 22:11 24bc1e37 src/deblock_media.h
8388 Defl:N 1956 77% 2003-06-15 22:11 d8621709 src/deblock_media.c
3875 Defl:N 1596 59% 2003-06-15 22:11 4aae7f4d src/cvt_pt.c
1523 Defl:N 823 46% 2003-06-15 22:11 f51e1ae0 src/convert.h
4667 Defl:N 1572 66% 2003-06-15 22:11 d24bf893 src/convert.c
2003 Defl:N 1020 49% 2003-06-15 22:11 db05c065 src/bitfield.h
2395 Defl:N 1074 55% 2003-06-15 22:11 82721e8d src/bitfield.c
1515 Defl:N 786 48% 2003-06-15 22:11 119befd2 src/SCSI_media.h
24090 Defl:N 5868 76% 2003-06-15 22:11 a8a29aff src/SCSI_media.c
6161 Defl:N 3017 51% 2003-06-15 22:11 a634e4fe src/README
17296 Defl:N 4559 74% 2003-06-15 22:11 bfaa2663 src/MacSCSICommand.h
2574 Defl:N 1181 54% 2003-06-15 22:11 2dacf374 src/HISTORY
3306 Defl:N 1511 54% 2003-06-15 22:11 9000af49 src/DoSCSICommand.h
19504 Defl:N 5863 70% 2003-06-15 22:11 50bf5baf src/DoSCSICommand.c
1463 Defl:N 767 48% 2003-06-15 22:11 7d50feda src/ATA_media.h
30409 Defl:N 6510 79% 2003-06-15 22:11 abb065a7 src/ATA_media.c
0 Stored 0 0% 2004-05-30 17:04 00000000 bin/
69608 Defl:N 24081 65% 2004-05-30 17:04 50ca6387 bin/lba48chk.ppc
23376 Defl:N 9129 61% 2004-05-30 17:04 3b10daa0 bin/getkey.ppc
83696 Defl:N 28605 66% 2004-05-30 17:04 e11377a9 bin/pdisk.ppc
88432 Defl:N 27991 68% 2004-05-30 17:04 a2581560 bin/lba48chk.mips
9820 Defl:N 5851 40% 2004-05-30 17:04 034365e1 bin/getkey.mips
109936 Defl:N 31985 71% 2004-05-30 17:04 1d9bc22d bin/pdisk.mips
92768 Defl:N 26193 72% 2004-05-30 17:04 1f1da79e bin/tivopart.mips
468196 Defl:N 208559 56% 2004-05-30 17:03 8dbee6b8 bin/lba48chk.x86
5932 Defl:N 3140 47% 2004-05-30 17:03 e1260b15 bin/getkey.x86
484448 Defl:N 216665 55% 2004-05-30 17:03 16e1802c bin/pdisk.x86
475996 Defl:N 212843 55% 2004-05-30 17:03 2ab325c6 bin/tivopart.x86
8397 Defl:N 3558 58% 2004-05-30 17:06 6bb9240a README.tivopart
-------- ------- --- -------
2339646 916576 61% 65 files

lrhorer
10-01-2011, 12:44 AM
It looks like you are still missing bootpage. You can download it from the link in post #39.

svenn
10-01-2011, 12:46 AM
done (bootpage)

total 11488
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 204735 Oct 1 00:45 bootpage-20040921.zip

lrhorer
10-01-2011, 12:47 AM
here is copy/paste for the unzip of tivopart. these don't show up when i do "ls -l" in "/hack". I am guessing that the separate directories (src and bin) were unzipped to another directory?
No, the -v option tels unzip not to actually unzip the files, just list them. I did not want to unzip a ton of files until I know what would be there. I know it is OK to do so now, so type

unzip tivopart-20040530.zip

svenn
10-01-2011, 12:48 AM
total 11508
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 May 30 2004 bin
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 8397 May 30 2004 README.tivopart
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 May 30 2004 src

lrhorer
10-01-2011, 12:49 AM
OK, now lets list the files in the bootpage archive:

unzip -v bootpage-20040921.zip

then paste back the results.

svenn
10-01-2011, 12:52 AM
root@debian:/hack# unzip -v bootpage-20040921.zip
Archive: bootpage-20040921.zip
Length Method Size Cmpr Date Time CRC-32 Name
-------- ------ ------- ---- ---------- ----- -------- ----
6871 Defl:N 2019 71% 2004-09-21 12:21 2104abac bootpage.c
966 Defl:N 324 67% 2004-09-21 11:59 1d8f0298 bootpage.h
223 Defl:N 132 41% 2004-10-05 18:56 0882700f Makefile
7428 Stored 7428 0% 2003-05-08 17:35 8e1d5399 bootpage.tgz
431640 Defl:N 194164 55% 2004-10-05 18:56 e7dd440f bootpage
-------- ------- --- -------
447128 204067 54% 5 files

lrhorer
10-01-2011, 12:57 AM
OK, we're good to run

unzip bootpage-20040921.zip

After that, let's clean up a bit by doing

rm busybox* hack.gz

then do another ls -l

svenn
10-01-2011, 01:00 AM
root@debian:/hack# unzip bootpage-20040921.zip
Archive: bootpage-20040921.zip
inflating: bootpage.c
inflating: bootpage.h
inflating: Makefile
extracting: bootpage.tgz
inflating: bootpage
root@debian:/hack# rm busybox* hack.gz
total 11944
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 May 30 2004 bin
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 431640 Oct 5 2004 bootpage
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 6871 Sep 21 2004 bootpage.c
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 966 Sep 21 2004 bootpage.h
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 7428 May 8 2003 bootpage.tgz
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 223 Oct 5 2004 Makefile

lrhorer
10-01-2011, 01:05 AM
Excellent! We are in the home stretch.

There should be a file named tivopart.x86 and another named pdisk.x86 in the bin/ directory. We want to move them and rename them, so type

mv bin/tivopart.x86 ./tivopart

mv bin/pdisk.x86 ./pdisk

Both commands should complete without error.

svenn
10-01-2011, 01:07 AM
both executed without errors

lrhorer
10-01-2011, 01:09 AM
Wonderful. One last time, do an ls -l and post back the results.

svenn
10-01-2011, 01:11 AM
total 12896
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Oct 1 01:07 bin
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 484448 May 30 2004 pdisk
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 475996 May 30 2004 tivopart

lrhorer
10-01-2011, 01:19 AM
OK, it looks like we have all the files we need, except one. I forgot to include a hacks.fil. It's attached to this post. Download it and run

tar -xzvf hackfile.gz

svenn
10-01-2011, 01:20 AM
will the fact that i had already run replace_initrd.x86 and null-linuxrc.img.gz (back when I was trying to use the MFSLive CD) - will that mess up this process?

BTW - this is like christmas

lrhorer
10-01-2011, 01:22 AM
Before we start, just one question: None of the drives on this PC have more than 9 partitions do they? If you are unsure, type

ls /dev/sd*

and post the results back

svenn
10-01-2011, 01:22 AM
and here it is:

root@debian:/hack# tar -xzvf hackfile.gz
hacks.fil
total 12904
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Oct 1 01:07 bin
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 233 Oct 1 01:21 hackfile.gz
-rwxr--r-- 1 root steve 198 Oct 1 01:16 hacks.fil

svenn
10-01-2011, 01:24 AM
drive partition info:

root@debian:/hack# ls /dev/sd*
/dev/sda /dev/sda1 /dev/sda2 /dev/sda5

lrhorer
10-01-2011, 01:26 AM
will the fact that i had already run replace_initrd.x86 and null-linuxrc.img.gz (back when I was trying to use the MFSLive CD) - will that mess up this process?
No. I'm trying to remember, but I think it will simply replacement with an identical replacement. Either that, or it will just not find it and give up. 'Worst case, we will get an error. The script we are about to run saves a copy of the kernel should it actually blow up.

BTW - this is like christmas
Yeah, isn't it?

lrhorer
10-01-2011, 01:28 AM
drive partition info:

/dev/sda /dev/sda1 /dev/sda2 /dev/sda5
Hmm. The TiVo drive is not there. Is it connected? If not, connect it and do the command again.

svenn
10-01-2011, 01:30 AM
if for some reason the earlier replacements cause a problem, i have my original drive i can use (i am working with the backup drive) . both drives are identical, + i have the truncated image, kernel and bootpage backed up via winmfs.

svenn
10-01-2011, 01:32 AM
i didn't have it plugged in. it is there now.

/dev/sda /dev/sda1 /dev/sda2 /dev/sda5 /dev/sdb

lrhorer
10-01-2011, 01:35 AM
There you go. Ready to blast off?

./hack_tivo

watch for errors.

svenn
10-01-2011, 01:38 AM
should the dev setting be "/dev/sdb" ?

this is what came up:

root@debian:/hack# ./hack_tivo
/dev/sda
Valid TiVo Drive not found. Exiting.

lrhorer
10-01-2011, 01:41 AM
Someone else reported a similar problem, andI thought I had fixed it, but no matter. First report back the results of

ls -l /dev/sdb*

svenn
10-01-2011, 01:43 AM
here it is:

root@debian:/hack# ls -l /dev/sdb*
brw-rw---- 1 root floppy 8, 16 Oct 1 01:31 /dev/sdb

lrhorer
10-01-2011, 01:49 AM
here it is:

root@debian:/hack# ls -l /dev/sdb*
Oh, well that's the problem. It thinks it is a floppy. Do an ls -l /dev/sd* and you will see what I mean.

You can either give me a minute to whip up a modified script, or you can call me and I can walk you through it. (Or I can call you, I have unlimited LD.) If you want to do this via voice, PM me or I will PM you with my number.

svenn
10-01-2011, 01:52 AM
i am sending PM right now. thanks

root@debian:/hack# ls -l /dev/sd*
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 0 Oct 1 01:36 /dev/sda
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 1 Sep 30 23:15 /dev/sda1
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 2 Sep 30 23:15 /dev/sda2
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 5 Sep 30 23:15 /dev/sda5

lrhorer
10-01-2011, 01:57 AM
type

apt-get install vim

svenn
10-01-2011, 02:07 AM
error portion =

Writing new tivoapp
Creating temporary tivoapp
Getting the hacking parameters for tivoapp
104000aa 100000aa 1914172
Failed for 104000aa 100000aa 1914172 Old value: 25080001
Exiting

svenn
10-01-2011, 02:49 AM
latest contents of /hack:

total 12884
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 233 Oct 1 01:21 hackfile.gz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 249 Oct 1 02:25 hacks.fil
-rwxr--r-- 1 root steve 2731 Oct 1 02:04 hack_tivo
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Oct 1 02:27 Saved_Apps
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Oct 1 02:06 Saved_Kernels

svenn
10-01-2011, 02:56 AM
total 11736
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 249 Oct 1 02:25 hacks.fil
-rwxr--r-- 1 root steve 2731 Oct 1 02:04 hack_tivo
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Oct 1 02:27 Saved_Apps
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Oct 1 02:06 Saved_Kernels

Soapm
10-02-2011, 10:59 AM
So are you up and running svenn?

lrhorer = When will you have the updated script ready to run?

lrhorer
10-03-2011, 05:13 PM
I'm not going to update the script. I've added a comment to it concerning the issue of a drive being reported as a floppy. The intent of the scripts is not necessarily to make them work for any system. The intent is to provide a guide and illustration on a basic method for hacking a Series III TiVo.

svenn
10-04-2011, 02:57 PM
I am sorry this post has taken so long. I first want to thank lrhorer for his intensive instruction and especially, the amount of time he has given on this process. While I am still a novice regarding linux and tivo hacks, I have certainly learned a lot in a short amount of time. This whole process has served as a mini-course. I do not intend to let things stay status quo; rather, I am continuing to dissect what was involved, with the hope of better understanding the whole thing. Unless my timing is perfect, it is probable another version update awaits, along with the opportunity to do this again. I have to say, I have gone from eagerness to learn, to frustration, to "(some) lights clicking on", to confidence that it will get easier the more I practice. BTW, Debian 6 (squeeze) is pretty cool, though I will stay with Windows 7 as my main OS for now.

Thank you lrhorer and scanman and jamie and soapm and many others who provide invaluable posts

lrhorer
10-04-2011, 09:55 PM
I like Debian for several reasons, but the very top of the list is without question stability. Debian is rock stable, to an extent that re-defines the term. The Debian distros are behind many other distros by months or even years when it comes to new builds not related to stability or security, but Debian's testing releases are more stable than most other distros' stable releases. Don't expect the latest and greatest bells and whistles in Debian. That's Ubuntu's forte, or Suse. That said, just about any reasonably recent distro of Linux is fine for hacking a TiVo. I definitely recommend kernel 2.6.26 or later, and I also recommend using a native SATA or eSATA port, not a USB-SATA adapter. Using a USB-SATA adapter caused us a bit of grief in the upgrade process, although nothing serious.

@svenn: is everything working well for you, now?

svenn
10-05-2011, 11:30 PM
lrhorer - yes - things are working fine right now. i am trying to prepare for inevitable glitches. i created a "clone" of my linux drive (wd 80gb) using PING. tried partimage, clonezilla and dd. PING was 15 minutes from beginning of image creation to restoration on the duplicate drive. (dd was going to take many hours because it tries to copy every sector - used or not). if my hard drive dies, i just switch connectors and reboot :). i also printed all my favorite threads and many pages of notes, so now i have a "tivo hacking guide" for easy reference (my cover insert is attached). it is just a start. still have a lot to digest and much more reading to do. glad i found this forum.

Soapm
10-06-2011, 12:30 AM
You were able to put your 160gb image on a 80gb drive? Do you have any instructions for that?

lrhorer
10-06-2011, 02:07 AM
lrhorer - yes - things are working fine right now. i am trying to prepare for inevitable glitches. i created a "clone" of my linux drive (wd 80gb) using PING. tried partimage, clonezilla and dd. PING was 15 minutes from beginning of image creation to restoration on the duplicate drive. (dd was going to take many hours because it tries to copy every sector - used or not).
PING is a fine choice, although using dd, it is not necessary to copy the entire drive. Dd will work with partitions, file systems, even individual files.

lrhorer
10-06-2011, 02:10 AM
You were able to put your 160gb image on a 80gb drive? Do you have any instructions for that?
He's not talking about his TiVo drive, although 80G is plenty for a truncated TiVo image. He's talking about cloning the 80G drive he is using to boot Debian Linux for the purposes of hacking his TiVo.

svenn
10-06-2011, 01:30 PM
He's not talking about his TiVo drive, although 80G is plenty for a truncated TiVo image. He's talking about cloning the 80G drive he is using to boot Debian Linux for the purposes of hacking his TiVo.

you are correct, sir :)