PDA

View Full Version : Moving disk to another unit.

herby1620
11-09-2011, 12:23 AM
Recently I had a main board go dead on my TiVo. I confirmed that it wasn't the power supply or the drives by powering them independently (when I plugged in the main board, the power supply shit down). I have another TiVo box and desire to move the drives to that box, with all the shows that 800Gbytes stores. I have no problem with moving the access card to the new receiver, but my main concern is to not delete the existing programming on the unit. If necessary I can get a third drive (they have 1.5 TB drives locally) that I can transfer the data to if necessary. These drives originally were setup with instacake, and I started with a 120GB drive expanding to the two 400GB drives I have now (lots of space!). Any suggestions?

My wife is having withdrawal symptoms so a quick resolution would be nice.

Thanks.

PlainBill
11-09-2011, 10:20 AM
What model TiVo do you have? If it has an access card, presumably it is a DirecTiVo. Is the second unit the same model? If different, what is the model?

The power supplies in DirecTiVos were notorious for popping caps, which COULD product the symptoms you described. Have you checked the caps?

The serial number of DirecTiVos is stored in the crypto chip. The only way to accomplish what you want to do is move the crypto chip from the 'dead' DVR to the 'live' one. This is a surface mount chip; do you have the soldering skills necessary? If not, is the 'dead' unit hacked and encryption disabled?

PlainBill

herby1620
11-10-2011, 12:56 AM
Both the "donor" and the "recipient" are of the same model (Phillips). As I remember when I made up the drives, and got the TiVoweb plus working, I turned off the encryption on the drives (a patch as I remember). I believe that the crypto chip (the one with a white label I assume) could be transfered, but it takes a bit of work to do so. I do know that I can call DirecTV and tell them to transfer the access card, and they ought to do this (the new receiver has thankfully a receiver ID, which is needed when you call them on the phone and want to turn on a receiver.

As for diagnosing the "donor" receiver, and finding out what shorted out the power supply, I don't know where to start. Any ideas?

Thanks.

PlainBill
11-10-2011, 05:13 AM
Based on your answers, I think you are going to have to buy a lot of flowers to keep your wife happy.

Philips is the brand; not the model. Philips sold at least two models of Series 2 Standard Definition DirecTiVos; you cannot transfer the crypto chip between non-RID and RID models.

IF you in fact hacked the receiver and disabled encryption, the solution is easy. Transfer the drives from the 'dead' system to the 'live' system, run '51 killer' (part of AlphaWolf's Series 2 Binaries), then call DirecTV, and have them activate the new system. If you did not disable encryption, you are dealing with an unhappy wife unless you are capable of removing and reinstalling 44 pin surface mount ICs.

As far as repairing the 'donor' receiver, I wouldn't even try it. If you haven't tried transferring the power supplies, do so. If in fact the motherboard is shorted, it's not worth the trouble to attempt to repair it.

PlainBill

herby1620
11-10-2011, 08:21 PM
OK, I'm willing to try anything, so I thought I'd first try moving the drives over. If I do this and the drives AREN'T encrypted will they "come up" OK? If I do have the encryption on (yuck!) will I do any harm? I really don't want to get out the soldering iron and make a mess if I don't have to, but I don't want to mess up the works beforehand.

Do you have a pointer to (URL?) "51 killer"? Can you point me to what it does? It has been a while since I setup this thing, so I want to go slowly.

Is there a way to transfer the two drives (all 800 Gb) to a larger single drive? Will this help any?

I'd also like to update the TiVo app, as I have noticed a few differences in the "temporary" TiVo (not the "donor" or "recipient"). For instance it knows the "new" daylight savings time rules.

Thanks.

I'm assuming the crypto chip is the one with a label on it, far left about half way between the back panel and the access card slot.

PlainBill
11-10-2011, 09:06 PM
OK, I'm willing to try anything, so I thought I'd first try moving the drives over. If I do this and the drives AREN'T encrypted will they "come up" OK? If I do have the encryption on (yuck!) will I do any harm? I really don't want to get out the soldering iron and make a mess if I don't have to, but I don't want to mess up the works beforehand.If you transfer the drives to another DirecTiVo you will get Error 51. As I recall you can't do much of anything at that point except choose 'Clear and Delete Everything' from the menu.

Do you have a pointer to (URL?) "51 killer"? Can you point me to what it does? It has been a while since I setup this thing, so I want to go slowly. Try this. (http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37602) As I stated above when you transfer a drive from one DirecTiVo to another the OS examines a signature on the drive and validates it against the Crypto chip. If validation fails, you get 'Error 51'. AlphaWolf's great tool removes the signature from the drive, and the OS generates a new signature. The joker is the original signature was used to encrypt recordings; with the new signature any existing encrypted recordings cannot be viewed on any DirecTiVo

Is there a way to transfer the two drives (all 800 Gb) to a larger single drive? Will this help any?I believe you can do this with MFS-FTP; as far as I know, it wouldn't help. Check the capabilities of MFSLive.

I'd also like to update the TiVo app, as I have noticed a few differences in the "temporary" TiVo (not the "donor" or "recipient"). For instance it knows the "new" daylight savings time rules. This thread (http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showpost.php?p=170224&postcount=10) has a process for upgrading a previously hacked DirecTiVo via slices and rehacking without pulling the drive.

Thanks.

I'm assuming the crypto chip is the one with a label on it, far left about half way between the back panel and the access card slot.No, that chip is the prom (firmware). The crypto chip is an Atmel chip next to the ribbon cable connection.

Bottom line: If the recordings are not encrypted you can move the drives to another DirecTiVo, run 51killer, and watch all existing and future recordings seamlessly. If the recordings ARE encrypted, your only option is to transfer the drives AND crypto chip to another DirecTiVo of the same 'vintage' (If the donor is a RID, the recipient must be a RID. If the donor is a non-RID, the recipient must be a non-RID.) At that point, for all practical purposes the recipient is the donor. Screw up and you wife has a permanent headache.

PlainBill

unitron
11-13-2011, 12:24 AM
Enthusiasm is applaudable, unless it far outruns experience and knowledge, and then it's likely to cause irreversible damage, like loss of recordings, and I fear that's where you may be heading.

Let's start with you looking on the back of each unit and posting the actual model numbers, so we all know exactly which TiVos we're talking about, and then we'll take it from there.

herby1620
11-13-2011, 02:53 AM
OK, here are the "numbers" on the boxes:
Donor (non functional main board): Phillips DSR7000/17. Sticker on main board says:TS/N MXS-TP-3490709. U34 Rev 1.0 (sticker).
Recipient: Phillips DSR708. Sticker: TT80 MXS-TT-54T0216. U34 2.5.
I have two 400Gb drives (still spinning!) from the Donor. I believe that I turned OFF encryption when I built it back in 2007(?) but I don't have any way to confirm this. The main boards 'look' identical (looks can be deceiving!). Big question: what would happen if I just move the drives over? Would they be killed? If I did have encryption on, what error message would I get? Would the data be killed if I tried?

Can I move the data from the two 400Gb drives to another drive (I can get 1.5 Tb drives locally with a PATA->SATA adapter).

Thanks.

PlainBill
11-13-2011, 07:25 AM
OK, here are the "numbers" on the boxes:
Donor (non functional main board): Phillips DSR7000/17. Sticker on main board says:TS/N MXS-TP-3490709. U34 Rev 1.0 (sticker).
Recipient: Phillips DSR708. Sticker: TT80 MXS-TT-54T0216. U34 2.5.
I have two 400Gb drives (still spinning!) from the Donor. I believe that I turned OFF encryption when I built it back in 2007(?) but I don't have any way to confirm this. The main boards 'look' identical (looks can be deceiving!). Big question: what would happen if I just move the drives over? Would they be killed? If I did have encryption on, what error message would I get? Would the data be killed if I tried?

Can I move the data from the two 400Gb drives to another drive (I can get 1.5 Tb drives locally with a PATA->SATA adapter).

Thanks.
Forget transferring the crypto chip - the main boards are different. You are reduced to three options. Fortunately the first is reversible; the second is not; I don't believe you have the skill set to accomplish the third.

Option 1. Remove the power supply from the 'Recipient' system and install it in the 'donor'. Hook up power and see if the DirecTiVo comes up. If it does, you are ready to go. If it does not, return the supplies to their original systems.

Option 2. Install the two drives in the Recipient system. Turn it on. At some point you will get an 'Error 51'. Use either a serial cable or telnet, use that to run 51killer. Restart the DirecTiVo, if encryption is disabled you will now be able to view the recordings.

Option 3. Buy a non-RID Series 2 DirecTiVo (DSR7000, HDVR2). Transfer the Crypto chip. At that point the purchased system becomes the old system. Insert the drives and you are good to go.

If I haven't made this clear, the power supplies in the DirecTiVos are crap, loaded with crap capacitors. They have a long history of failing. It is not impossible the main board in your old DirecTiVo died; it is much more likely the power supply died.

PlainBill

unitron
11-13-2011, 11:13 PM
What he said, with double emphasis on the "it's probably capacitor disease" part.

herby1620
11-14-2011, 03:46 AM
When I started with this problem, I too thought it was a problem in the power supply (the drives weren't running). So, I swapped out the power supply. Alas there was no fun in mudville, as the "new" power supply didn't get the drives turning. I just attempted to remove the power ribbon cable, and lo and behold, the drives started spinning. So, I feel that the problem is something shorted on the main board (probably a cap somewhere). I have yet to move the drives to the "recipient" machine, as I don't want to do something that I can't reverse. My thought is to copy the two 400Gb drives to a single drive (over 1Tb drive I hope) which will do two things. First it will give my wife more hours on the TiVo, and second, I can move the drive to the new machine without the fear that I will destroy anything.
It has been a while, but I do have: PTV Upgrade disk, Instacake, and the LBA boot CD which ought to help somewhat in moving the data around. Time will tell if I can get this done. Thanks for the information so far.

PlainBill
11-14-2011, 08:47 AM
When I started with this problem, I too thought it was a problem in the power supply (the drives weren't running). So, I swapped out the power supply. Alas there was no fun in mudville, as the "new" power supply didn't get the drives turning. I just attempted to remove the power ribbon cable, and lo and behold, the drives started spinning. So, I feel that the problem is something shorted on the main board (probably a cap somewhere). I have yet to move the drives to the "recipient" machine, as I don't want to do something that I can't reverse. My thought is to copy the two 400Gb drives to a single drive (over 1Tb drive I hope) which will do two things. First it will give my wife more hours on the TiVo, and second, I can move the drive to the new machine without the fear that I will destroy anything.
It has been a while, but I do have: PTV Upgrade disk, Instacake, and the LBA boot CD which ought to help somewhat in moving the data around. Time will tell if I can get this done. Thanks for the information so far.
I'm getting this from my brother and from you. I give information or ask a question, it is ignored.

As far as I know, MFS Tools cannot copy two drives to a single drive. Unfortunately, MFS Live does NOT have that capability. WINmfs (http://www.mfslive.org/) MIGHT have that capability.

PlainBill

unitron
11-14-2011, 11:17 AM
Let us assume for the sake of discussion that you have a power supply that is marginal, unable to provide sufficient current to power both the motherboard and the drives. Let's assume the other one is the same way.

If you disconnect the motherboard (something I'm not sure I'd recommend doing while the power supply is plugged into a 120V AC source, i.e., 'on'), then, even if there's nothing wrong with the motherboard, perhaps that removes enough of a load that now the power supply can provide enough current for just the hard drives.

So it could be a power supply that's 100% and a motherboard with a problem that draws too much current, or it could be a motherboard that's perfectly fine with a power supply that has problems.

I suggest you disconnect the drives in both TiVos, then power up said TiVos and see if the motherboards come to life, even if they don't get past the welcome screen.

If one does and one doesn't, and the power supplies can be exchanged between the 2, temporarily do so, and see if the problem follows the supply, or stays with the motherboard.

And I recommend having the more up to date MFS Live cd, v1.4, on hand, even if you don't have a TiVo.

herby1620
11-14-2011, 06:39 PM
I'll try various combinations of power supplies and drives to see what happens, maybe something will go forward.

As for copying two drives to a larger single one, I looked at MFS tools and it seems that I can do:
backup -qTao - /dev/hda /dev/hdc | restore -s 127 -r 4 -xzi - /dev/hdd
and go from two drives (hda/hdb) to a larger thrid one (hdd). Has anyone had success with this. I have no problems with downloading the latest version of the mfstools bootable CD and going from there. I don't know the options for 'backup' and 'restore' ("-qTao" and "-s 127 -r 4 -xzi" respectively).

Onward.... I'll probably price a large (1.5TB) disk soon. If the above command works, I can play to my hearts content. It will just take a little bit of time to do the copy (hours!). Such is life.

unitron
11-14-2011, 08:12 PM
I'll try various combinations of power supplies and drives to see what happens, maybe something will go forward.

As for copying two drives to a larger single one, I looked at MFS tools and it seems that I can do:
backup -qTao - /dev/hda /dev/hdc | restore -s 127 -r 4 -xzi - /dev/hdd
and go from two drives (hda/hdb) to a larger thrid one (hdd). Has anyone had success with this. I have no problems with downloading the latest version of the mfstools bootable CD and going from there. I don't know the options for 'backup' and 'restore' ("-qTao" and "-s 127 -r 4 -xzi" respectively).

Onward.... I'll probably price a large (1.5TB) disk soon. If the above command works, I can play to my hearts content. It will just take a little bit of time to do the copy (hours!). Such is life.

Up through the original S3, a TiVo can have a total of 16 partitions on the first drive. The MFS partitions, where the recorded stuff is, start at partition 10 and are added in pairs. If you have a total from both drives of more than 6 MFS partitions, you aren't going to be able to shoehorn them onto a single drive, regardless of drive or partition size.

Regarding drive prices, they're probably going to stay pretty painful until late spring due to the Thailand flooding.

You might want to grab a couple of the 1TB Seagates on sale this week at Best Buy for $55 each.

CompUSA has a 1TB Seagate, which may not be the same model, for $60, and a 1.5TB for $70, but I'm pretty sure your model TiVos are limited to 1TB per drive.

Of course to use SATA drives you'll need to go read this thread

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=416883

to learn about which adapters work for which TiVos, and which to avoid.

Why don't you run

pdisk -l

after booting with the MFS Live cd v1.4, and post your partition maps here, or you might be able to use mfsinfo from WinMFS and be able to copy and paste it.

ghuff
11-22-2011, 06:59 PM
I have a HDVR2 that has been in place for a couple of years. I come home a few weeks ago and to box is totally dead (no LEDs, fan not spinning, etc.). So, I assume power supply and order a replacement off eBay.

Supply comes in and does not solve the problem. I pull both supplies and plug them in stand alone. I do not know what voltages should be present on the ribbon cable, but the molex connector reads correct voltages (+5 and +12) on both of the supplies. When I plug either of the supplies into the system board, the molex voltage outputs read just a few millivolts. Definately looks like something is wrong on the system board at this point.

I bend all the little metal retention tabs and examine both top and bottom of the board under magnification. Cannot see anything that looks wrong.

At this point, I do not want to invest the time in troubleshooting and just order a complete new HDVR2 off eBay for $27.

I get the unit in and it seem to power on normally. I install the drive and card from the failed unit and it seems to come up ok. I can telnet and get to mfs_ftp, but of course the normal user interface is complaining about having the wrong card inserted. I know I need to call DirecTV and get them to marry the new unit and old card and am just hoping they will not make we order a new card.

here is where it gets's good....they totally refuse to do anything, including sending me a new card for the replacement receiver. Their answer is basically tough luck. Get newer equipment.

So, I'm left with two options:

1. Somehow, transfer whatever physical device that contains the serial number from my old unit to the replacement unit so that the new one in effect become the old one.

2. Give up on this whole damned thing, switch to Comcast, and start hacking a TiVO HD (have got 2 units form eBay and a PROM from Omicron sitting beside me now) to get HD extraction capability.

Path #2 looks like a pretty long path right now. I will have to learn how to do everything I've done on the HDVR2 on the TiVO HD which will take a lot of research, time, trial, and error. Not to mention changing service providers, fighting with them to get CableCards, etc.

So, path #1 is looking pretty good either as a stopgap on the road to #2 or the primary plan. But, I need to know which chip(s) to move.

I did find a a few threads about 37's and 39's and know they are talking about the flash parts that likely contain BIOS and a few other things. But, I could not find anything that definitively said what all was in the part.

Earlier in this thread, an Atmel part is discussed as the security part that has the crypto keys, but it is unclear if anything about the serial number and binding to the service card is contained there.

I do not need this to be done in SW. I have the equipment and skills to swap parts between these two HDVR2s (systems board appear to be identical).

I just need some coaching on which part(s) I need to swap to basically make the replacement into the idenity of the dead unit.

BTW, if someone wants to convince me the Comcast/TiVO HD path is easier that I'm assuming, please argue away. : )

PlainBill
11-22-2011, 08:24 PM
The HDVR2 is a non-RID system; the system I have near me is a RID system, and I know the main boards are different. On the RID system the Atmel Crypto chip is close to the IDE cable running to the hard drive, part number AT90SC6464C. As far as I know, all you have to do is swap crypto chips. It contains the serial number of the unit. The same number (or something derived from it) is saved to the hard drive, but that won't be an issue since the drive is moving too.

PlainBill

unitron
11-22-2011, 09:00 PM
Even if you got DirecTV to marry the old card to the new motherboard, I'm pretty sure you'd lose everything on the old drive, that's how it is with standalones.

Have you done any soldering and unsoldering of surface mount devices before? Do you already have a magnifying lamp and some quikchip on hand?

I did a chip swap on a standalone Series 2, and even though I got my first soldering iron about a half century ago, it's a good thing I had a dead S3 board to practice on first, and even then I only succeeded by the greatest of good fortune.

(Okay, technically the greatest of good fortune would have been not to have needed to move the chip in the first place)

What you're referring to as the serial number is probably the TiVo Service Number. The Series 1 standalones had both a TSN and a serial number.

Anyway the thing that'll make the new board think it's the old board is the TSN and it's stored on what's probably the only Atmel chip on the board, unless for some reason there's a separate one where DirecTV stores its own secret magic number.

ghuff
11-24-2011, 10:35 AM
i finally got a few minutes away from the family and looked over the board. Indeed, there is an Atmel AT90SC6464C part near the power ribbon connector and IDE connector. A bit of research through datasheets shows this is indeed what I am looking for and a bit more through dealdatabase shows that unitron has done this before (the hard way : )

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?64399-Atmel-AT90SC6464C-pinout

now i know what you meant by the "greatest of good fortune" comment.

it is a large pitch 44 pin QFP which I should be able to handle. I have a temp controlled digital soldering station (don't ask), headband with magnification and light, solder wick, etc.

I had never heard of chipquik until you mentioned it above and looked it up as well. That is some seriously handy stuff. I assume you can just clean it off the chip you removed and want to reuse with solder wick, right? I will likely hold off on pulling the Atmel part until I can get some as there is no way anything is open today on thanksgiving and it seems like a much lower risk exercise with it than without.

thanks to both of you for your time and assistance. I'll let you know if I end up with a happy ending or a sad one......

unitron
11-24-2011, 11:41 AM
Large pitch?

The chip I moved was maybe one inch from side to side.

Bought my chipqwik from SRA Soldering Products on Amazon.

They no longer seem to be offering the exact package I got, but this is the same thing plus a syringe for the flux instead of just a squeeze tube for not much more.

http://www.amazon.com/ChipQuik-Removal-Flux-Alloy-Pads/dp/B001KAC3IG/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322147531&sr=8-1-spell

They've also got decent solder wick, better than the stuff Radio Shack used to sell back when they sold much better stuff than they do now.

Amazon's got some other sellers offering chipqwik, but they want more money.

For the actual soldering part, you'll want to find some really small gauge solder (strictly the traditional tin-lead alloy, no silver, makes it much trickier to work with), and use a very small tip, so as not to bridge.

For the unsoldering a bigger tip is okay.

Wick is probably better than a vacuum-type solder sucker, less violent pull on the chip, although that rubber squeeze bulb thing at Radio Shack may prove useful since you can adjust the suction on it by how much you squeeze the bulb.

You really, really need to practice on something expendable first 'til you get a feel for that bismuth alloy stuff in the chipqwik set. As soon as you hit the melt point it moves around like mercury.

If you've got any of those foam swabs left over from VCR video head and tape path cleaning, you can use those and denatured alcohol (or reel to reel tape head cleaner, probably) to clean up the flux after you get the solder removed, and again after soldering down the new chip.

Did I mention that you need to practice on something expendable first?:D

ghuff
12-06-2011, 10:47 PM
Success!

I ordered some ChipQuik, but ended up having to do some unexpected business travel right as it arrived. Once I got back, I picked out a couple of DIP packages on the dead board that have the same pin pitch as the Atmel QFP and practiced taking them off the board and putting them back on a few times.

For me the biggest problem was using too much ChipQuik in removal and then trying to clean it off the removed part so it could be reused. Once i figure out both how to use less and to clean it off the part effecively, it was a piece of cake.

I finally found time this afternoon to take a stab at the real rework and it came off without a hitch. No magic smoke released from the board and the unit booted right up without a hiccup.

I had to hit the self service receiver re-authorization page to get it to pick up my package, but that was it. Old recordings play fine and it is merrily downloading guide data and rebuilding the todo list from my season tickets as I type.

I still plan to rework a TiVO HD and consider the switch to Comcast. But, having this old HDVR2 working gets the family off my back and takes the time pressure off that project.

Thanks again to unitron and PlainBill for their help with this.

unitron
12-06-2011, 11:03 PM
Success!

I ordered some ChipQuik, but ended up having to do some unexpected business travel right as it arrived. Once I got back, I picked out a couple of DIP packages on the dead board that have the same pin pitch as the Atmel QFP and practiced taking them off the board and putting them back on a few times.

For me the biggest problem was using too much ChipQuik in removal and then trying to clean it off the removed part so it could be reused. Once i figure out both how to use less and to clean it off the part effecively, it was a piece of cake.

I finally found time this afternoon to take a stab at the real rework and it came off without a hitch. No magic smoke released from the board and the unit booted right up without a hiccup.

I had to hit the self service receiver re-authorization page to get it to pick up my package, but that was it. Old recordings play fine and it is merrily downloading guide data and rebuilding the todo list from my season tickets as I type.

I still plan to rework a TiVO HD and consider the switch to Comcast. But, having this old HDVR2 working gets the family off my back and takes the time pressure off that project.

Thanks again to unitron and PlainBill for their help with this.

Great to hear.

Congratulations.

Now the bad news. Separate crypto chips that can be moved from one unit to another ended with the original S3. After that (the HD and HD XL, and all the verisons of the Premiere) it's built into the main chip or something. omikron (the prom day guy) discusses it on another thread around here somewhere.

What specifically seems to be wrong with that HD (and have you carefully examined the capacitors in its power supply)?

ghuff
12-09-2011, 05:38 PM
Sorry to imply there was a problem with the HD in an earlier post. The only issue is my ignorance. : )

I know that I have to replace PROM to break root of trust first (have that in hand and is my next soldering project). After that, I assume I will have to perform the same basic changes that i did on my HDVR2. I also did enough research to know that most recorded content is 720p and to confirm that noCSO was still possible (for me, not worth the effort without extractable un-encrypted HD content). That is about as far as I have gotten.

I have not done anything on the details (finding latest kernal revision, killhdinitrd that works for it, tool to convert extracted format to MPEG, etc.). i do not even know if the system is MIPS architecture and where to get UNIX utils, etc. that will work on it. I am so far assuming that the only thing I have in hand that will carry over is the .tcl interpreted code stuff like TivoWebPlus and MFS_FTP. (unless I am even misunderstanding that).

I know all the info is out there. I just have not been able to invest the time to dig it out yet. But, having the HDVR2 working will buy me the time to do my research.

unitron
12-09-2011, 05:54 PM
Go look for Omikron's posts about "prom day" to see if the S3 HD can be prom modded, or if things ended at the original S3.

Soapm
12-09-2011, 08:22 PM
Yes, a tivoHD can be prom modded and you may want to have him change your caps while he has it. It's worth the extra loot...

lrhorer
12-11-2011, 01:55 AM
I know that I have to replace PROM to break root of trust first (have that in hand and is my next soldering project).
Yes.

After that, I assume I will have to perform the same basic changes that i did on my HDVR2.
Not so much, no. Similar in many respects, but not the same.

I also did enough research to know that most recorded content is 720p
Not really, no. Most is 1080i.

and to confirm that noCSO was still possible (for me, not worth the effort without extractable un-encrypted HD content). That is about as far as I have gotten.
Yes, noCSO is still about the same, but there is also CCI and noMEK. Whether the latter are a better choice for you or not is something you will need to decide for yourself.

I have not done anything on the details (finding latest kernal revision, killhdinitrd that works for it
Killhdinitrd has been replaced by replace_initrd. See the link in my signature.

tool to convert extracted format to MPEG, etc.).
If you want to use tserver or mfs_ftp, I think s3tots is your only option, and that converts to .ts, not to .mpg. I used to do that, using VideoRedo to convert to .mpg and edit the files, but it was too troublesome and error prone. Now I just use CCI along with kmttg and tivodecode to convert to .mpg and then VideoRedo to edit can recode to h.264.

i do not even know if the system is MIPS architecture
Yes.

and where to get UNIX utils, etc. that will work on it.
See the link in my signature.

I am so far assuming that the only thing I have in hand that will carry over is the .tcl interpreted code stuff like TivoWebPlus
Yes.

and MFS_FTP. (unless I am even misunderstanding that).
No. On the THD, you need the 64 bit versions.

lrhorer
12-11-2011, 01:56 AM
Go look for Omikron's posts about "prom day" to see if the S3 HD can be prom modded, or if things ended at the original S3.
Not at all. Tons of people, including me, have replaced their PROMs on their THD, or had it done.

gkoth
12-12-2011, 06:44 PM
I think I am in a similar situation with a Phillips DSR704 hacked with MRV etc. I am fortunate in that the unit is failing slowly with pixelization on some channels. I can transfer any critical recordings from Unit 1 to Unit 2 through the existing MRV. Then if I just clear and delete all I should be able to move the drive to another Phillips DSR 704/8. Is that correct? I know I will lose Season passes etc. while time consuming they can be set up again fairly easily.

psxboy
12-13-2011, 05:52 PM
If you want to use tserver or mfs_ftp, I think s3tots is your only option, and that converts to .ts, not to .mpg. I used to do that, using VideoRedo to convert to .mpg and edit the files, but it was too troublesome and error prone. Now I just use CCI along with kmttg and tivodecode to convert to .mpg and then VideoRedo to edit can recode to h.264.

Just to clarify, .ts stands for transport stream. It's a container that holds the elementary video & audio streams, which are in standard MPEG2 format and the .ts file you extract from the Tivo contains the video and audio exactly as it was sent down by your cable company. It can be easily converted to a program stream (.mpg) without re-encoding - essentially you're just re-packing the video & audio streams into a different container. You could even just rename the file from .ts to .mpg. But nearly every program that can play back .mpg files is able to play back .ts files also.

-psxboy

gkoth
12-23-2011, 10:56 PM
Just in case this could help anyone. I had a unit with bad tuners. Cleared and deleted everything and put drive in a refurb DirecTiVo 6.2.a both boxes Phillips DSR704. Got the dreaded 51 error. I then ran the Clear and Delete everything on the new box and it cleared the 51 error. I am guessing the clear and delete everything must be done on the new box. At any rate a double clear and delete and we are good to go again.

unitron
12-23-2011, 11:18 PM
I had a unit with bad tuners. Cleared and deleted everything and put drive in a refurb DirecTiVo 6.2.a both boxes Phillips DSR704. I have the dreaded 51 error. If I have Tivoweb access with hackman will that allow me to run the 51 killer? It has been many years since I originally hacked the drives. I have a serial cable with USB adapter that I got to work with a remote control. I hope I don't have to resort to that without any instructions.

Are you talking about the error you get when you put a drive from one TiVo into another TiVo (same model but different TiVo Service Number)?

Can't you just tell it to clear and delete everything and rerun Guided Setup?

PlainBill
12-24-2011, 10:44 AM
Are you talking about the error you get when you put a drive from one TiVo into another TiVo (same model but different TiVo Service Number)?

Can't you just tell it to clear and delete everything and rerun Guided Setup?

You can, but 51killer (part of Alpha-Wolf's Series 2 Binaries) is quicker and less destructive.

PlainBill