PDA

View Full Version : windows media center on a TIVO box

jvm
11-23-2011, 02:05 PM
I have 3 TIVO’s networked together so I can transfer from one machine to another. I also have a few computers with Windows Media Center that does the same thing. I like what TIVO does but don’t care for their proprietary policies. While I can transfer my recordings on my home network from one TIVO to another it will not play files recorded on Windows Media Center without having to convert them. Also my neighbor has TIVO and I have put a show on a flash drive so he could watch it but it won’t play on his TIVO network (or any of his shows on my network).

They even set it up so they have you on the remote control; there are no controls on the TIVO box so if you lose or break the remote you have to buy another from them (but I am sure you could find a generic remote that would work). They are also pretty shady on their rebates. They advertised “free” with rebates but it took me well over a year and hours on the phone (on hold) to get them to pay up.

I would like to wipe out TIVO and install Windows Media Center on them. I have searched to see if anyone knows how to do this; some say no because the hardware won’t match up, but a few have said yes, but won’t elaborate saying, “we aren’t supposed to be talking about this.”

My questions are:
• Can this done with the existing components?
• If you do need to change parts what needs to be replaced and with what?

I figure as long as I have the boxes I may as well use them if possible. Thanks for any input. Jvm

Soapm
11-23-2011, 07:59 PM
Have you tried pytivo of jfms? There is also a controller application but I can't think of the name. Go over to TCF and they are in the extraction section. I think they're what you're looking for if you don't want to wipe out the Tivo but just make them work...

jvm
11-24-2011, 01:10 AM
i hate to sound stupid but, what is pytivo of jfms and where/what is TCF?

stevel
11-25-2011, 02:19 PM
pyTivo (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?51971-pyTivo-Transcoding-video-server)

TCF (http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/)

AlphaWolf
11-26-2011, 07:28 PM
I would like to wipe out TIVO and install Windows Media Center on them.

That would necessitate installing windows. First problem, is windows isn't compiled to run on MIPS. Second problem, is windows requires far more memory and processing than the tivo can ever provide. Third problem is that there would never be any drivers available for windows to control the tivo's components.

And that is only the tip of the iceberg.

Bottom line: not happening.

jvm
12-02-2011, 10:23 AM
so you would need a new motherboard with lots of ram. i wonder what one would fit the case and what else you would need.

Soapm
12-02-2011, 03:38 PM
so you would need a new motherboard with lots of ram. i wonder what one would fit the case and what else you would need.

Someone posted a link to a guy who did it but I can't find the link. I would think you could put that mother board in any case you chose so why fight to fit it in a Tivo? If you want bragging rights to say you turned a fine linux box into a windows machine I would think one of those windows stickers would do just fine for that...

In my younger days I helped a friend put a ford motor in his Chevelle complete with tranny, modified drive shaft etc... We got it to work but that thing stayed broke down. He really stained the great GM name with that Ford crap. In case you're wondering, my first Buick was a 1985 and I've been driving them since (I'll have to change now that they got rid of the PA but mines is still holding out)...

jvm
12-08-2011, 02:00 AM
Someone posted a link to a guy who did it but I can't find the link. I would think you could put that mother board in any case you chose so why fight to fit it in a Tivo? If you want bragging rights to say you turned a fine linux box into a windows machine I would think one of those windows stickers would do just fine for that...

In my younger days I helped a friend put a ford motor in his Chevelle complete with tranny, modified drive shaft etc... We got it to work but that thing stayed broke down. He really stained the great GM name with that Ford crap. In case you're wondering, my first Buick was a 1985 and I've been driving them since (I'll have to change now that they got rid of the PA but mines is still holding out)...

I'm just thinking the box fits with other media components, better than any computer case I have seen. and there has to be some parts (hard drive for one) that you could use...if I could convert it for fairly cheap why not?

classicsat
12-29-2011, 08:55 PM
On the TiVo hardware, it definitely is a no-go.

You probably can use a mini-itx motherboard. I have a PC built on an Asrock E350-M1 motherboard, and it runs MCE fairly well (at least that I dabbled with), although is all new, and built in a conventional PC case. There are PC cases more suited for a home theater, and easier than using a TiVo case.

jorgea
12-31-2011, 01:33 PM
I would suggest forgetting about your intended project. It's not likely to work.