PDA

View Full Version : Series 3 expanded stock 250->750 once, Now want to expand again to 1 or 2 TB

avpman
04-29-2012, 10:00 AM
I have a TiVo Series 3 (TCD648250b) in which I expanded the original 250gb drive to a Seagate db35 750gb when I first got the unit. The 750 Seagate is making noise and it's demise is on the horizon. :( I would now like to expand the failing 750gb drive to 1 or 2tb and retain all my settings and recordings. Is this possible since the drive was already expanded once using MFSLIVE (I can see an mfslive partition on it.) I already bought a 2TB Seagate drive designed for DVR use so I'd like to use it if at all possible.

Secondly, I have a modded prom in the unit. I had the software modded some time ago but then I let TiVo update the software (it was very old) and I lost all my mods. I'd like to re-mod the drive at the same time.

I know there is some special secret way to modify a 2TB drive so that it can be used in the series 3 at full capacity with the stock linux kernel(?). So far I've only been able to find a couple of commercial vendors that can do it. I'm surprised that no one, so far as I know, has been able to develop a similar tool for us to DIY. If there is one, please point me to it.

Also, if it's not possible to expand this drive is there a way to quickly mod the failing drive and at least backup my system settings, especially my season pass schedules and start from scratch using the 2tb drive? I'm assuming I would need to get an image from somewhere first? Or can I grab the image off the existing drive and reuse it on the new drive?

Any help/advice would be appreciated.
Thank you!

tivo4mevo
04-29-2012, 05:41 PM
Based on this thread here: link (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?57055). It appears that MFSLive can do what you want.

There are other more manual methods, but this is probably the best.

Thinkdiff
04-29-2012, 05:44 PM
There is a hybrid TiVo HD/HD XL image floating around that allows you to use a 2TB drive with the stock kernel. This won't work in your case if you want to retain your recordings. The change cannot be applied to an existing TiVo HD drive - have to start fresh from the image.

Your best option for the 2TB drive is either only using 1TB of it with the stock kernel or using Jamie's kernels which have support for 2TB drives. When you expand the drive in WinMFS, it'll give you the option. I think your best bet for expanding the already expanded drive is using WinMFS. I don't think the linux version can do it, but I'm not 100% sure.

lrhorer
04-30-2012, 03:23 PM
Secondly, I have a modded prom in the unit. I had the software modded some time ago but then I let TiVo update the software (it was very old) and I lost all my mods. I'd like to re-mod the drive at the same time.
You might try looking here (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?53492-Overview-of-Hacking-an-S3/page3&p=297738#post297738)