PDA

View Full Version : Stuck in Guided Setup loop. Is there a "Running fakecall.tcl for dummies" or similar?

schoolbus
06-14-2012, 10:01 PM
I was getting Error S03 (couldn't unpack daily download after it successfully downloaded.)
My Garbage Collection was 3 weeks in the past.
I searched and followed a suggestion to run Channel Lineup.
Unfortunately that put me into Guided Setup, which I can't get out of because it requires a successful daily download/unpack/install.
Now I'm stuck in this loop.

The only thing I've done to my Series3 is to install a larger drive using WinMFS (2 years ago).

I've read that fakecall.tcl will tell/trick the system that it already has a valid download and doesn't need to run it again, which should break me out of this. I like this idea as that should not lose all of my existing recorded programs. My alternative is to run WinMFS again from my OEM drive (if it still works - it was dying) and start over. The fakecall.tcl sounds like a good first option.

It's not clear to me what I need to do to install/run fakecall.tcl. Is there an overview somewhere or can someone step me through it? It seems like that is one of many utilities available and I'm not sure if I need to install something more than this, how to call this, etc.

Any pointers/help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark

PS - I also found some bulged capacitors that I am replacing on the power supply. Hopefully those were the cause of my original issues - we'll see.

ravingfans
01-19-2014, 01:37 PM
I'm posting this in all the threads related to Guided Setup loops as I have not seen this advice anywhere on the nets:

How to get out of Guided Setup:
1. Prerequisite--have to have either a serial cable connection to get a shell or a telnet connection to get a shell on the TiVo--there are plenty of resources to show how to do these options elsewhere.
2. disconnect the Tuning Adapter and unplug all cable cards
3. let the TiVo boot up to the Guided Setup entry page, but don't click select with the remote
4. telnet in to the TiVo (or access through the serial link
5. type (without quotes):
dbgc-mcp -fg-gc
this initiates a garbage collection, and since the Tuning Adapter and CableCards are not connected, it does not distract the TiVo from completing GC

6. WAIT for this command to complete. Took mine several hours
7. once dbgc-mcp has completed, go through Guided Setup and it should now complete

Notes: I was having trouble getting fakecall.tcl to work in rc.sysinit.author--it ran fine from the command prompt, but did not bypass the guided setup for me, so perhaps I wasn't doing something right there. Nevertheless, fakecall.tcl is still called from my rc.sysinit.author file, but it was having no effect, so I don't think it played any role in the solution above.

I welcome comments back. This fix does not correct the S03 problem itself, just gets you past the Guided Setup loop. It has been 3.5 years since I had the S03 problem, so now am retracing my steps. My solution at that time was to increase swap space to 2GB, so I think that fended off the problem for a long time.