PDA

View Full Version : Swap a drive and best way to backup files off a 750GB drive?

ChubbyDirt
10-11-2012, 05:36 PM
Hi...

My Series 2 Hacked Phillips DSR7000 lost either it's mother board or power supply (hoping). I have a replacement coming.

It's full of old recordings, but has not had an active sub in quite a while. I pulled the drive and loaded it into my PC to check and everything looks good still there, so I don't think it's a drive issue.

I ordered a used Hughes HDVR2 from eBay. I'm hoping to just switch the drives and have it be good to go. Well, first I may try swapping power supplies, just to see if that fixes it, but if that doesn't work I'd like to just swap drives.

2 questions. After reading this (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?39213-dsr704-drive-swap), it looks like the swap may just work (All the programs on the drive are unscrambled already). Can anyone confirm that I should be OK?

Second question: to be safe, I'd like to extract the programs from the drive to a backup drive. I can mount it in my PC, but all the MFSTOOLS docs that I found say that they only support FAT32, which only works up to < 200 GB. What solution is there to pull all the programs out of a drive that big?

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

PlainBill
10-12-2012, 10:37 AM
Hi...

My Series 2 Hacked Phillips DSR7000 lost either it's mother board or power supply (hoping). I have a replacement coming.

It's full of old recordings, but has not had an active sub in quite a while. I pulled the drive and loaded it into my PC to check and everything looks good still there, so I don't think it's a drive issue.

I ordered a used Hughes HDVR2 from eBay. I'm hoping to just switch the drives and have it be good to go. Well, first I may try swapping power supplies, just to see if that fixes it, but if that doesn't work I'd like to just swap drives.

2 questions. After reading this (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?39213-dsr704-drive-swap), it looks like the swap may just work (All the programs on the drive are unscrambled already). Can anyone confirm that I should be OK?

Second question: to be safe, I'd like to extract the programs from the drive to a backup drive. I can mount it in my PC, but all the MFSTOOLS docs that I found say that they only support FAT32, which only works up to < 200 GB. What solution is there to pull all the programs out of a drive that big?

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
You don't describe the symptoms, it could very well be the power supply. If it IS the main board and all the recordings are unencrypted there should be no problem with the swap (running 51killer may be necessary before you can make recordings).

Rather than trying to copy the recordings, I would suggest you clone the 750 Gig drive to a spare (larger) drive.

PlainBill

ChubbyDirt
10-12-2012, 12:12 PM
Symptoms are a hissing coming from one of the components on the power supply board and just a slow clicking of the drive. And I get a similar set of symptoms if I take the previous drive that I used to make this current drive and put it in there.

RE the back up: Ahh... I was thinking about backing up more at the file level, but you're right! I could just use dd to block copy everything to another drive...

Thanks!

ChubbyDirt
10-13-2012, 08:09 PM
Final outcome... Drive swap went well... Had to run the 51Killer script, but then everything is working again...

Thanks!