PDA

View Full Version : Error 51 - can't record

kilroy
12-26-2001, 09:38 PM
Anyone know what an Error 51 is? After upgrading to 25xtreme for T60, and adding FixSub and 900s.tcl to rc.sysinit, I am seeing this error on 2 of my three units in the house.

I am not sure if it relates to the upgrade, the further hacks, or something else -- Anyone know what error 51 -- call SOny custoemr service relates to???

-Kilroy

Glitched
12-26-2001, 09:51 PM
explain further.... where does it say that?

superzap
12-26-2001, 10:01 PM
This is a known problem with hacking v2.5. Your software is married to another TiVo service number. You can fix by going into System Reset->Clear and delete everything. It will take 1-2 hours.

kilroy
12-26-2001, 10:15 PM
Glad to see you're hanging around. Thanks for the prompt reply :)

Here is the exact message received when I press the LIST (Now Playing List) button:

--------

An error has been detected (Error #51). You will not be able to record programs or watch recordings from Now Playing List until this problem is fixed. Please contact Sony customer service at 1-877-585-SONY.

--------

Just for the heck of it, I repeated the guided disk setup -- probably a good thing because this particular unit (Guest room 3) had the wrong ZIP code and possbily the wrong disk type. Unfortunately, after repeating the dish setup, the problem remains...

Note: I have also tried to swap drives with another unit. Thought it might me a bad image or perhaps the drive was failing, but with same prolem twice, I'm now unsure what to look at.

Many thanks in advance,
-Kilroy

PS. Where is the dish type and ZIP code stored on the system? Would it be possible in your next stab at Xtreme to ask these questions during the setup?

kilroy
12-26-2001, 10:18 PM
Superzap:

Interesting... I wonder why this happend on 2 of 3 units tested and not all 3... Guess I'm going to have to fire up the other 5 and see what percentage experience the problem.

If the results are not unanimous, what is the explanation as to why it works on some and not others?

Just curious...

-Kilroy

superzap
12-26-2001, 10:29 PM
I can't splain why it isn't consistent, it should be, the only explanation would be that the unit that doesn't produce error #51 was the unit that originated the backup. I haven't seen this on any DTiVo but the T60.

kilroy
12-27-2001, 01:37 AM
Superzap: clear & delete everything did seem to fix the 51 problem. Many thanks.

Of the 8 T60's in my house, only 2 had this problem. All drives in all units were created from the same 25xtreme image, on the same PC.

So, while it is still a mystery as to why, at least we now know how to fix it.

-Kilroy

Nigel
01-02-2002, 06:08 AM
Hmmm, a friend of mine came over today and we spent some of the day, upgrading his and my new 6000 over the phone line from 2.0 to 2.5, added tivolution, and showcase with another phone call. Backed it up. Installed xtreme2.5 to do the prom hack then reinstalled our versions we got from the phone line did the chattr stuff, his machine now gets error #51 now but mine works just fine??

I also noticed that his tivo service number says unavailable and then it has a whole bunch of zero's after it. The info screen also has a harddrive serial number line added and mine doesent???

Just started a complete clear and reboot procedure on it. Does any of this make sense to anyone?

Nigel.

Nigel
01-02-2002, 02:49 PM
Well, the reboot worked for me too everything works fine, the right tivo service number is there and everything plus no HD ser number either.

Nigel.