PDA

View Full Version : Series 2 DTivos rebooting

wundernaut
11-12-2012, 05:58 PM
I have two series 2 SD DTivos, one a Philips, one a RCA. Both are at 6.4a, although both are hacked with Winmfs using the same (hacked) image. Four days ago (Nov 8) they both started randomly rebooting about two or three times a day (sometimes they are recording a program, sometimes not). They are in two separate rooms. I haven't seen any glitches in my power, and none of my other electronic equipment is seeing any problems. Both were working fine before this starting happening, and both still work fine when they aren't rebooting. Both disks were replaced within the last year, and I have seen no problems until now.

From the logs, it appears that one always reboots about 1 hour before the other (their clocks are in sync). Unless there is suddenly something wrong with the common software image they both use, I have to conclude that DirecTV is doing something remotely to make the boxes reboot. I did contact DirecTV about a week ago about moving to a cheaper programming package, and they gave me the six month reduced rate deal instead. Other than that, I haven't contacted DirecTV in months.

Is anybody else seeing this happen?

wundernaut
11-12-2012, 06:03 PM
Just now I found the following thread at tivocommunity (http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=495885 ). It looks like DirecTV is up to their old tricks again, though their tech support is either denying it or else is clueless.

flagmaster
11-15-2012, 11:08 PM
Just now I found the following thread at tivocommunity (http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=495885 ). It looks like DirecTV is up to their old tricks again, though their tech support is either denying it or else is clueless.

Well crap. Last time this happend, it took a long time before they fixed it. This time they may not even make the effort, and just try to push everyone into upgrading. Any know if this also effects the THR22 new HD DirecTivo units? I have one, but I have really played with it much over the last few days.

Booman70
11-16-2012, 09:34 AM
I just got off the phone with dtv csr wanted me to "go through troubleshooting before they could order me new dvrs" I told him dont bother just wanted to log the problem and start it going up the chain further. Seems there first reaction to this is to try to get you to go to newer units and new contract which I made clear I wasnt interested in doing.

dherm8or
11-17-2012, 05:52 AM
Same here I have 4 units that are doing it

dss-what
11-17-2012, 05:25 PM
yup....we have 4 Series 2 of various brands here that were all upgraded to 6.4a over the summer. The 2 that are hooked up to the satellite are rebooting 2 - 5 times a day at random times (started 11/13/2012 at 10:00PM [more or less] eastern time). The 2 that are NOT hooked up to the satellite are rock-stable. And, when we are there watching the reboot it is frequently having trouble acquiring satellite data.

flagmaster
11-17-2012, 10:08 PM
If the fix comes down over the dish, I have my software update=false set up. So, considering that, one a real fix does come down, I will have to enable that to make it take wont I? Then I will probabaly have to re-apply all the hacks. Ugggg.

PlainBill
11-18-2012, 08:03 AM
If the fix comes down over the dish, I have my software update=false set up. So, considering that, one a real fix does come down, I will have to enable that to make it take wont I? Then I will probabaly have to re-apply all the hacks. Ugggg.
The process has been well documented. The first step is a bear.
1. Wait until all needed patches have been documented.
2. Edit the upgrade script to simply exit rather than flip partitions and reboot.
3. Run the edited upgrade script.
4. Apply all patches, startup scripts, etc to the new partition.
5. Flip the partitions and reboot.

http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showpost.php?p=170224&postcount=10

PlainBill

wundernaut
11-18-2012, 06:55 PM
I really doubt that DTV will do a software upgrade. It's considered an obsolete product, and most likely the programmers who know anything about the code have moved on to other projects or else left the company.

Besides, all the boxes were working fine until just a couple of weeks ago. If there's a problem with the satellite feed or some other variable that changed on their end, the best solution would be to just change it back.

wundernaut
11-18-2012, 06:59 PM
I just got off the phone with a DTV support person on this issue. She says that DTV is now acknowledging that there is an issue, and they are working on it.

In the meantime, she suggested unplugging both my boxes for at least 4 hours, which would do a "complete reset" on them (whatever that means, maybe it has to do with the satellite data going stale and forcing the box to refresh all the data). I haven't tried that yet.

She did say that if the problem was not resolved by DTV, they would replace the boxes.

We'll see...

flagmaster
11-18-2012, 11:06 PM
You know, Im lucky enough to have both the HR10250 and the new THR22. But let me tell ya, while the new one is nice, but I can CLEARLY tell the difference between MPG2 ota recordings and locals off the dish in HD And I really really hope that they can fix these old ones, just for a video quality perspective alone.

flagmaster
11-18-2012, 11:12 PM
Oh, one other thing of note....

I had a bunch of recordings taking up space on my HR10. I wanted to extact them all today. Knowing that I would run into reboot issues, I disconnected both sat feeds and the OTA cable. I then power cycled the unit. I set up for my ty-extraction using the old T-server hack. I let it run all day (this will take about 50 download hours at USB speeds). But, I wanted to catch a few episodes of shows tonight (Sunday night). So I hooked the cables back up at about 5:30pm, giving it plenty of time to rebuit its index so it might get my shows.

Something interesting has happend...

It did/is gettting my shows, and I have not had a reboot today so far.

The tivo ran "antenna less" for about 9 hours before I hooked things up.

If its still extracting in the morning, I might have stumbled onto something here....

flagmaster
11-19-2012, 08:19 AM
Nope, it rebooted still.

woracan
11-20-2012, 05:28 AM
Running 6.4a on HR10-250 and per suggestion of another person, I disconnected Sat inputs and have not had a reboot while disconnected. I may setup an automatic switch to connect the Sat input in the early morning once per day for about a half hour. I read about someone else who has been able to avoid the reboots by disconnecting Sat inputs at 28 and 58 after the hour so only a minute of a show is missed rather than 4 or 5 minutes for a reboot.

It appears to be crashing in tivoapp at sub_BF6A70 specifically at 0x00bf6a90 where it is attempting to read memory at 0xC($a3) when $a3 is zero. That is not an address that the kernel allows to read so it crashes and reboots. Hopefully I'll be able to figure a way to patch this to avoid the reboots.

Red_Dog
11-20-2012, 11:41 PM
I have two HR10-250 units one with 6.4a and one with 6.3e. The 6.4a seems to reboot more often than the 6.3e does. Removing the SAT inputs prevents 0xc read and reboot. I spent half a day of troubleshooting to get to a single causation. It's good to know that I was on the right track.

flagmaster
11-20-2012, 11:53 PM
Much respect in decoding this. Pretty deep stuff. Looks like they got it fixed now. Quite possible because of your reply here in this base.

stevel
11-21-2012, 08:33 PM
DirecTV has fixed the problem. You may get one more reboot and then it should be ok.