PDA

View Full Version : Adding new B drive after specifying only 1

degobah9
12-28-2001, 04:21 PM
I ran 25xtreme on my original dtivo disk and answered that I only had 1 drive at the time. I have since purchased a larger B drive and blessed it but the additional space does not show on system info screen. Is there anything I can do other than reapplying the image?

Thanks for your help.

FactorOfX
12-28-2001, 04:47 PM
If I am not mistaken (and I may very well be) you have to reimage your A and Bless the B to get it to come up recognizing both drives, you can't just Bless B and then add it onto a system that already thinks it's the only drive in town.

I understand that there are ways to do the reimage so that you can save off all your Season Passes and setting etc etc.. but you still lose anything you had recorded already so I really didn't see much point in trying to save that stuff.

FactorOfX

degobah9
12-28-2001, 04:53 PM
Thanks. I was trying to avoid losing what I've recorded, etc. But I guess I'll just have to watch alot of TV this weekend!

newlooper
12-28-2001, 04:53 PM
I don't think FactorOfX is correct. You should only have tp bless the second drive.

:)

Glitched
12-28-2001, 05:33 PM
yeah, all you have to do is bless the second drive and plug it in.... dont have to do anything to A drive

Smooth
12-28-2001, 05:44 PM
He will have to create an image of the original Drive A, put this on Drive B, take out of pc, put in tivo and you should be able to watch tv.

Then you'd take Drive B out and put both drives in and use TivoMad to claim the extra space of the other drive.

FactorOfX
12-28-2001, 05:47 PM
Well like I said, I could very well be wrong. LOL

However, didn't degobah9 say he had used the 2.5Xtreme image on his A drive and then later gotten another drive for his B, Blessed it and its not showing up in the system info screen?

Maybe I missed something.

FactorOfX

degobah9
12-28-2001, 06:09 PM
I installed 25xtreme and told it I had one drive. Then at a later date I blessed a second, larger drive and tried to add it.

Thanks again for all the help.

av8wkr
12-29-2001, 12:57 AM
I would also like to add a secound 40g drive. I also have done 25xtreme on my A drive. So, what is the deal. Can I bless the new drive or do I have to remove my drive A? Also anyone have a name or mod # of a drive thay like that works well with the Hughes? By the way this place is great. Love all the help with this stuff.

Glitched
12-29-2001, 02:51 AM
I stand corrected

GT!
12-29-2001, 01:12 PM
Ok, here's a switch ... how about removing drive B after it's been added? Can I just remove it, or is there something special that I need to do?

-GT

fast_one
12-29-2001, 01:13 PM
Quote from Hinsdale

"Sorry no cigar. Once you have run TiVoMad to expand your A drive and it has booted in your TiVo, you can no longer
simply bless/add a B drive. You will need to restore from backup image first."

http://www.avsforum.com/ubbtivo/Forum6/HTML/007755.html

fast_one
aka emuroot

newlooper
12-29-2001, 11:23 PM
The key here is TiVoMad. What I get out of that post is if you do not expand the drive you can BlessTivo and add the second drive.

TiVoMad is not automatically run by the 25Xtreme image process. You have to answer yes to the question it asks.

lsutiger
12-31-2001, 05:54 PM
I'm a Tivo newbie, but have managed to install 25Xtreme as well as touch my DSR6000. When I installed Xtreme (1 week ago) I didn't think that I would ever need more than the 35 hours of recording time. Now I desperately want MORE. It's addicting. So anyway I have now bought a 80 Gig Maxtor HD and I would like to add it. I ran Tivo mad when I installed 25Xtreme intially, but only selected that I had 1 drive. So if I want to add this second drive do I just put the drive in my PC and boot off of the Xtreme CD again? Is there some kind of option available to add a 2nd drive? I've been reading a lot but I am confused. Please give me some direction. Thanks.

LowTec
01-02-2002, 09:43 PM
i'm no expert,but with 25xtreme if worse came to worse just take out tivo a drive then add it and new b drive to pc then run 25xtreme all over answer questions done put back in tivo watch tv. :) theres probably an easier wayl. i thought i read some where that 25xtreme made it easy to add second drive.some thing like bless new drive add it to tivo then run bash,forget what command.

Smooth
01-02-2002, 09:53 PM
According to Hinsdale:

If you have used Mfs Tools to divorce/create a single drive backup image from your original DirecTiVo A+B drives and have tested your backup image on your new larger upgrade drive, then you can now restore your verified backup image to your original 30gb A drive (or new drive if you choose) by repeating Step 8 above with your original A drive as the destination. This newly restored A drive will become your new TiVo A drive. Then you will simply need to add/bless your new larger upgrade drive as your B drive in order to expand your recording capacity. To add/bless a new B Drive you should treat your newly restored A drive as your "original TiVo A drive" for the purposes of this instruction and then see - Upgrade Configuration #1 below for instructions.

That's if you want to save your current settings. If not then simply put both drives in pc and re-run 25xtreme, when prompted about blessing B drive, and yes and follow the rest of the instructions.

bart20001
01-02-2002, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by LowTec
i'm no expert,but with 25xtreme if worse came to worse just take out tivo a drive then add it and new b drive to pc then run 25xtreme all over answer questions done put back in tivo watch tv. :) theres probably an easier wayl. i thought i read some where that 25xtreme made it easy to add second drive.some thing like bless new drive add it to tivo then run bash,forget what command.
Your method will work but involves losing all saved movies. I have an 80GB drive on order and would also like to add B drive on an Xtremed system and save what I have have so far?????????

rwaldin
01-02-2002, 10:00 PM
I remember answering no to "will the total space be greater than 140GB?" when upgrading to a single 120GB A drive with xtreme. If I later want to add a B drive that's larger than 20GB, increasing my total to more than 140GB, do I then need to rextreme my A drive? Or am I still ok with just blessing the new B drive?

What exactly is the question asked for in the first place? Are larger addresses used somewhere in larger systems?

Thanks!

-Ray

T_RJ
01-02-2002, 10:24 PM
Swap file area is larger on over 140 gig Tivo.

hinsdale
01-10-2002, 03:12 PM
This thread has taken quite a bit of the How-To out of context so thought I might clear a few things up:

2.5xtreme contains an MFS Tools image of a divorced (from a dual 30+13.6GB) single drive 24hr image of a Philips Dtivo with "v2.0 pending v2.5 restart".

When installing this image on a standard 40GB 35hr Single drive Philips DTiVo, most people would therefore use the included scripted DTiVoMad Beta 4 utility to expand the 24hr image to 35hrs in order to use the whole 40GB Drive. Therefore many in this thread have a Single 35HR DTiVoMaddened A drive. You are therefore no longer able to simply add a B drive or furthur expand at all without un-tivomaddening the A drive.

That said: IF you wish to upgrade and wish to preserve all of your season passes, preferences, guide data, thumbs, etc and possibly even all of your recordings you can use MFS Tools to create a divorced image (un-tivomaddening the A drive) to use for furthur upgrade.

See Step 7 Option #1 of the How-To for instructions on creating a unexpanded backup image.
http://www.newreleasesvideo.com/hinsdale-how-to/

And follow Notes 3 and 4 in this section for pointers at even likely saving all of your recordings in addition to your season passes, thumbs, etc:

From Step 7 Option #1 of the How-To
Note 3: Those adding a new B drive to an existing single TiVoMad expanded A drive configuration may also be able to preserve their existing recordings (this does not apply to existing two drive configurations). After creating your MFS Tools single drive unexpanded image using the commands above and testing this image on your new upgrade drive, you should then restore this backup image directly back to the originating A drive. This will result in your A drive being un-TiVoMad expanded (and thus capable of furthur upgrade) and may retain all or some of your existing recordings because MFS Tools only overwrites the included partitions (your mileage may vary - swap file changes and other factors may effect your results). Finally treat your now unexpanded original A drive as your "new" A drive and follow the instructions at Step 10) Upgrade Configuration #2: New A Drive with New B Drive in order to re-TiVoMad expand your original A drive and Bless your new B drive.

Note 4: Those replacing an existing single TiVoMad expanded A drive with a new even larger A drive (or new A and B drive) may also be able to preserve their existing recordings (this does not apply to existing two drive configurations). First use Option #3 below to dd copy your original TiVoMad expanded A drive to your new even larger upgrade A drive (time consuming) and test in your TiVo. Then, treating this new even larger drive as your original TiVoMad expanded A drive, make an MFS Tools backup image and follow the instructions in Note 3 immediately above (your mileage may vary - swap file changes and other factors may effect your results).

phishvideos
01-12-2002, 02:48 PM
Thanks for all your posts....I tried the above Note 4 and 3 to try to upgrade AND preserve recordings and got limited success. Here is the details...

Existing configuration: 60 GB WD Xtremed disk in GEXCEBOT.

New configuration:

120 GB MAX (A)
40 GB QUANT (TIVO) (B)

I backed up (MFSTOOLS) original 40 onto 120 and tested (good). Then dd'd the 60 to the 120 and tested (good). Then backed up the 120 (MFSTOOLS) and restored the image right back to divorce. Ran TIVOMAD 4.0 and expanded the 60 xtreme on the 120 to the full 120 GB plus the new 40 (drive B).

Well everything works good (148 hours) but only 2 of the 20 recordings survived. One was 30 minutes and one was 10 minutes. The rest said "Error playing a recording" and I was able to delete the useless tag. I hope that means I reclaim the space.

So either it's a crap shoot or there is something that can be done to the mfstools cmd line or TIVOMAD 4.0 screwed up the pointers when the expansion was performed.

Either way....my thumbs and wishlists/seasons all survived.

Now I gotta put the 60 in and dump some stuff to VCR. :)

Good Luck all and long live TIVO.

-hood

klx331
01-12-2002, 06:22 PM
So far I'm understanding....just want to get one thing clear....if I installed Xtreme25 on original 40g Hughes hard drive and did not run TivoMad then if I want to add a 120 g hard drive to the set up all I have to do is run Bless on the 120 g and install it back into the Tivo and reboot???? Is this correct.

Thanks,

KLX331

phishvideos
01-13-2002, 04:28 PM
if I installed Xtreme25 on original 40g Hughes hard drive and did not run TivoMad then if I want to add a 120 g hard drive to the set up all I have to do is run Bless on the 120 g and install it back into the Tivo and reboot???? Is this correct.

Not completely...

If you really didn't run tivomad on the xtreme install then you shouldnt have a 35 hour drive since I think the image is less than 35 hours. But anyway if your drive is not yet expanded (divorced) then you should be able to just run TivoMad 4.0 (for DTivo) and expand the A drive and add the B drive in one step. It is a good idea to make a mfstools backup of A first anyway.

Good Luck

klx331
01-14-2002, 10:28 AM
If you really didn't run tivomad on the xtreme install then you shouldnt have a 35 hour drive since I think the image is less than 35 hours. But anyway if your drive is not yet expanded divorced) then you should be able to just run TivoMad 4.0 (for DTivo) and expand the A drive and add the B drive in one step. It is a good idea to make a mfstools backup of A first anyway.

That is correct, I only have 24 hours of recording time. I tried to run TivoMad originlly when I installed 25Xtreme on my Hughes with oringal 40G hard drive but when I but in all backed together and plugged it in it hung at Almost there indefinately. So I reran Xtreme and didn't run TivoMad and everything is OK.

KLX331

Peacock
05-17-2002, 04:24 AM
deleted

jfkjfk
12-18-2002, 09:11 PM
Followed hinsdale's instructions as per above to add a 120gig drive to an existing xtremed single drive dsr6000... Unfortuately lost all my recordings.. but at least I now have a 140+hour tivo.. :)

jfkjfk