PDA

View Full Version : Philips TiVo not supporting surround sound..

skatter
01-10-2002, 09:08 PM
I have a Philips TiVO HDR212 which I upgraded to a 63 hour model. I have noticed that when passing through the TiVo I do not get surround sound, but when I plug cable directly into my TV I do.

I am using the following setup:

Digital Cable Box <-RF-> TiVo <-RF-> TV == NO SURROUND

Digital Cable Box <-RF-> TV = SURROUND

Has anyone else encountered this problem? Please e-mail me if you have, I'd really like to hear how you solved it, or if you are hearing surround sound with the Philips units, maybe mine is broken.

Thanks,

BubbleLamp
01-11-2002, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by skatter
I have a Philips TiVO HDR212 which I upgraded to a 63 hour model. I have noticed that when passing through the TiVo I do not get surround sound, but when I plug cable directly into my TV I do.

I am using the following setup:

Digital Cable Box <-RF-> TiVo <-RF-> TV == NO SURROUND

Digital Cable Box <-RF-> TV = SURROUND

Has anyone else encountered this problem? Please e-mail me if you have, I'd really like to hear how you solved it, or if you are hearing surround sound with the Philips units, maybe mine is broken.

Thanks,

The problem is the SA TiVo and the compression they use. It screws up the ProLogic signals. Not much you can do about it I'm afraid.

skatter
01-11-2002, 03:57 PM
My friend has a Sony TiVo (30 hour) and his plays surround sound... I thought the hw was the same, just different packaging.

BubbleLamp
01-12-2002, 02:25 AM
My friend has a Sony TiVo (30 hour) and his plays surround sound... I thought the hw was the same, just different packaging.

Try eliminating the RF connection, it'll probably help some, but trust me, you won't hear good surround on an SA TiVo.

You might want to read this thread (http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?threadid=3494&highlight=pro+logic)

and this one (http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?threadid=25530&highlight=pro+logic) for more info.

skatter
01-12-2002, 05:06 PM
What does SA stand for?

BubbleLamp
01-12-2002, 06:08 PM
What does SA stand for?

Sorry, Stand Alone, as opposed to a DirecTiVo which has true Dolby Digital and ProLogic capabilities because it doesn't compress or alter the stream, it saves it directly as it comes off the satellite.