PDA

View Full Version : Can I use my existing cables?

kpictjl
02-02-2002, 07:18 PM
Here's a question I've heard a lot but never received a good answer.

Can I use this existing cable in my house to connect my dish to my Dtivo receiver?

I can't tell what type of cable it is. I did use it for Digital Cable prior to getting DTivo.

BubbleLamp
02-02-2002, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by kpictjl
Here's a question I've heard a lot but never received a good answer.

Can I use this existing cable in my house to connect my dish to my Dtivo receiver?

I can't tell what type of cable it is. I did use it for Digital Cable prior to getting DTivo.

You need RG6 cable. If your house isn't too old, it's probably OK, but no guarantees. See if you can find a place where it's exposed and look for the specs printed on it, they repeat every few feet. I don't think you can get away with RG59, which is common with cable TV.

T_RJ
02-02-2002, 11:58 PM
You can probably use your existing cables.

But there must not be any splitters.

Every run from the Sat must direct to the reciever.

Ther are a few exceptions but if you are asking this question and you understand the exceptions you wouldn't be asking.

kpictjl
02-03-2002, 03:56 PM
What is the technical reason that I should use RG6? Is it simply a lossy issue? Or is there some reason that the higher frequency sat signal won't work otherwise?

BubbleLamp
02-03-2002, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by kpictjl
What is the technical reason that I should use RG6? Is it simply a lossy issue? Or is there some reason that the higher frequency sat signal won't work otherwise?

RG6 has the same impedance but better shielding than RG59. Here's a quick little note (http://www.smarthome.com/howto15.html) about them.