PDA

View Full Version : Gender of serial cable from tivo store?

tivolian
02-03-2002, 02:18 AM
Hi, this is probably explained somewhere, but since I'm too stupid (cough cough lazy) to search through all the posts - can anyone who ordered the serial adapter from store.tivo.com comment on the db9 connector being male or female? I want to connect the db9 part to a PC's db9 male port, so if it is female on the tivo cable, then I guess I have to go across the street to radio shack and overpay for some adapters! Thanks!

BubbleLamp
02-03-2002, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by tivolian
Hi, this is probably explained somewhere, but since I'm too stupid (cough cough lazy) to search through all the posts - can anyone who ordered the serial adapter from store.tivo.com comment on the db9 connector being male or female? I want to connect the db9 part to a PC's db9 male port, so if it is female on the tivo cable, then I guess I have to go across the street to radio shack and overpay for some adapters! Thanks!

Go across the street, it's a male. And pick up a null-modem adapter too, you're gonna need it.

PS Lazy won't get you too far on this board. Start reading. :rolleyes:

tivolian
02-03-2002, 06:10 PM
Thanks! I decided to make the cable myself as I already have a 6 foot long cable with 1/8" stereo plugs.

gldslope
02-03-2007, 10:11 PM
I have searched for two days and can't find the solution. I have a Series 2 Direc TIVO running 6.2. I can't seem to get a bash, or anything else for that matter when trying to connect using hyperterminal. I have it set to 115,200 8-N-1 no flow control. My unit is fully acessable over my network, but I want to have a back up to fix problems in case I lose connectivity. Do I need to somehow turn on the port or something? I am using a cable purchased from 9th Tee. Also, I am using my laptop with a USB to serial adapter, is this possibly a problem?

PlainBill
02-03-2007, 10:57 PM
I have searched for two days and can't find the solution. I have a Series 2 Direc TIVO running 6.2. I can't seem to get a bash, or anything else for that matter when trying to connect using hyperterminal. I have it set to 115,200 8-N-1 no flow control. My unit is fully acessable over my network, but I want to have a back up to fix problems in case I lose connectivity. Do I need to somehow turn on the port or something? I am using a cable purchased from 9th Tee. Also, I am using my laptop with a USB to serial adapter, is this possibly a problem?

IIRC, many people have had satisfactory results with a usb-serial adapter. I suggest you start here (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?p=234467#post234467). Also, make sure you have enabled serial bash in rc.sysinit.author. An example of an old one is here. (http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showpost.php?p=208842&postcount=9)

PlainBill

gldslope
02-04-2007, 05:30 PM
Thanks Plain Bill! Got it all working with your help and a bit more reading.