PDA

View Full Version : Good universal remotes for Phillips???

BBQ-AllStar
02-07-2002, 02:35 PM
Does anyone have any good advice on universial remotes that work with Phillips TiVo??

I don't want to spend more than $150-$200 though...

I'd really like to get something that is IR/RF too...

Any suggestions??

Thanks!

mrblack51
02-07-2002, 02:57 PM
well, if you want a traditional remote, i reccomend the radio shack 15-1994, 15-1995, or 15-2104

these and a few other radioshack remote have a 'jp1' connection, which you can use to program your remote for your specific device. there are a whole lot of benefits, but the biggest is that you can add native support for remotes, instead of using up limited learning space.

do a search at google or wherever for jp1 and the radio shack 15-1994 and you will find lots of info. there is also a yahoo group dedicated to the subject (groups.yahoo.com)

boojew
02-15-2002, 02:47 PM
try www.remotecentral.com... They have some great stuff on the JP1 interface.

mendepie
02-16-2002, 12:07 AM
I have had very good luck with a Sony RM-VL900. It is a 8 function learning remote that has a lot of useful capabilities. Also you can get them for less than $50.

maxx22
02-22-2002, 01:48 PM
urc-9800 works for me. has the jp1 interface so you upload the tivo functions, and it's a combo ir/rf/ir learner. all this for $40-$80 bucks on ebay.

BBQ-AllStar
02-22-2002, 03:10 PM
maxx22,

yup, the 9800 is the one I got...awesome remote.

rm -rf /
03-13-2002, 08:37 PM
Friend,
I bought a brand-new-in-the-box Phillips Pronto TSU-2000 on ebay for a measly $234. Yeah, I know it sounds expensive, but you know what? Now I almost wish I'd spent the $600 for the color screened 6000. But let me say this, if you can deal with a palm-like black-on-green lcd display, the Pronto TSU-2000 will be the last remote you'll buy for a great long while; I assure you. But see what you think; as was recommended above, goto www.remotecentral.com (http://www.remotecentral.com) and check out the Pronto. After your totally impressed by the specs and the fact that it's fully progammable (relative), you can download the "ProntoEdit" binary to fully check out the pronto. It comes with an emulator, that will completely emulate the functions of one's own config. It's an excellent testing ground. It also comes with a db9 null modem to 1/8" stereo jack cable that also will double as your terminal emulator connection to your tivo ;o} But though the cable is primarily for downloading your config into the Pronto with ProntoEdit, when you are emulating with ProntoEdit AND you have the serial cable attached to the Pronto...the Pronto will execute and send ir signal commands executed by your Prontoedit config to your devices...such that you can totally tweak out your config before you ever download it into the device itself. Anywho...you can download this pg HERE (http://www.remotecentral.com/files/dl.cgi?software/ProntoEdit2_0.exe). Good luck to ya. If you decide to check it out, and you download ProntoEdit, email me here (martoman@hotmail.com) , and I'll send you my pronto config file. It's .ccf file. Just drag it onto the ProntoEdit shortcut, and hit the emulate button to see how the Pronto works. My config has a Batman theme. Maybe juvenile, but I spent weeks and weeks on it, and I think it's cool. Besides, growin' up and growin' old are NOT the same thing, and you shouldn't get them confused. Peace...

poppagene
03-20-2002, 06:14 PM
My local radio shack had the 15-1995 clearanced at $30. Now that I've made a serial tivo cable, it's time to learn about making a jp1 cable and hacking my new remote control.

groundhog
03-21-2002, 08:04 PM
Rat shack has some remotes that don't have a JP1 interface on sale for around $20. Is there any way that these might work for some of the Tivo functions. I'm getting really sick of hacking crap. I don't mind the hacking, I just don't have time for the Learnin right now. The JP1 thing looked like a whole new adventure. I'm too damn lazy to pick up a 2nd remote, I don't want to build a cable, hook it up to a computer, figure out all the special codes, and new software, etc. Been there....Done that....More than once...

Anyway, back to my original question. Can I maybe get it to work for the Tivo button, play, FF, RW......shit I guess I need skip to end & it probably won't do that.....Can it learn 1 or 2 commands via a IR interface to the original remote?

poppagene
03-21-2002, 10:01 PM
groundhog, I think you can solder a jp1 interface onto the circuit board of some of these remotes to accomplish what you want -- lol

I don't know how I'll find the time to get up to speed on this too, but I'd rather have devices that I can program rather than rely on what's available off the shelf

maxx22
03-26-2002, 05:28 PM
groundhog,

the new line of radio shack remotes(rs-210x?) have tivo functions built in. if your feeling lazy just punch in the code(608 i think) and you're good to go. in addition to that i believe they have the jp1 interface so if you ever have the need you can get back into the hacking spirit.

groundhog
03-27-2002, 05:40 PM
Thanks. I'm interested, but can't find any infomation regarding that remote control - on line. Maybe I just need to go to a Radio Shack.

maxx22
03-28-2002, 04:32 PM
http://www.radioshack.com/category.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F002%5F002%5F010%5F001&Page=1

there's a few options on there, any of the ones with a 15-210x model number would work(model number, not part number. the rca probably wouldn't work). the 2103 looks good and it's on sale for $20.

groundhog
04-04-2002, 02:52 PM
there's a few options on there, any of the ones with a 15-210x model number would work(model number, not part number. the rca probably wouldn't work). the 2103 looks good and it's on sale for $20

Well I found a 2102 at my local rat shak for $15 and it worked for the Tivo, but it's a 4 in 1 and one of the options wasn't for an AV receiver. But there was a bigger problem. I didn't think about the fact that I have my Tivo's set up for remote addresses (1) & (2). I don't want the remote to control both tivo's at once.

I guess that's one good reason to look into the JP1 interface, huh?

It would also be nice to have a live TV and Replay button. I guess I'll have to find some free time and look into the JP1. I may need to put it off for about a month or two, but then should have time to do it.

One question. With the JP1 can you make it so you can easily change back and forth between two tivos(with different remote address) ?

groundhog
04-05-2002, 04:44 PM
I found a site that sells One For All 7801's for $25. They even have packages for the remote with the cable for $40. I just bought the remote. I'll make the cable myself.

poppagene
04-09-2002, 06:23 AM
There's a recent thread in the jpp1 group about setting up the remote for multiple addresses on a sony t60. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jp1/message/10641

Hope this helps. Do you still have multiple working dtivos after all your adventures in locking down the prom?

groundhog
04-10-2002, 03:56 PM
Do you still have multiple working dtivos after all your adventures in locking down the prom?

LOL :) - I never meant to indicate that I had several. I just have 1 with plenty of recording space & another for show conflicts(plus a third which is a SA), but I could live without the second DSR6K if I had to. I speant $100 on it, I'm not going to pay someone $75+ to solder something for me. & Yes All of them work fine. ;)

P.S. All three units are phillips. I've already been checking out that site. Thanks anyway.

groundhog
04-12-2002, 12:20 PM
Got the JP1 remote working great. It was sooo much easier than I thought it would be. Making the cable and soldering a male 6 pin connector into my remote took a little work, but wasn't too hard. I started reading the "how to" several times, and would get totally lost. The KM spreadsheet thing is pretty confusing. So, I said "Screw it". I found an IR dump for what I needed (2 tivos and cinema 7). I just opened the program, loosly followed the how to for how to upload, and figured out the rest by myself. Took, maybe 20 minutes of messing with the software(IR.exe).
The remote works great :) I've always been extremely impressed with the One for All remotes. The only problem with them is that they seem to break down after 3 to 4 years. I don't know if this is normal for remotes in general? But anyway the One for All's functionality is great. They have some great programming/macro functions.

groundhog
04-18-2002, 06:14 PM
If anyone's interested there are a couple of Universal Elec. 7800's on ebay right now at a buy it now price of $15(with $4.50 in shipping). Of course, you could just buy a 7801 at sears for $25. Actually I wish I knew that when I paid $25 plus shipping for one on the internet.