PDA

View Full Version : Fast Forward Autocorrection

jbp641
02-20-2002, 01:00 AM
They need to make the Tivo learn how much you overshoot on skipping commercials. It would then notice where we begin playing. It would then learn our average reaction time. Just an idea...is this possible?

BubbleLamp
02-20-2002, 11:39 AM
Not sure about it learning, but you can alter the behavior.

Enable backdoors.
Go to Search by Title.

Press ENTER-ENTER-REWIND, the record light will come on. The search box will say Offset: I use 950 here. Press ENTER-ENTER-REWIND again, the record light will go off.

Press ENTER-ENTER-FORWARD, the record light will come on. The search box will say Delay: I use 750 here. Press ENTER-ENTER-FORWARD again, the record light will go off.

Now play one of your saved shows and press PAUSE, then use the FORWARD button to do a few frame by frame advances. This is required to 'set' the new numbers.

These steps will give you results close to what the Tivo's did before 2.5.

HUGE
02-20-2002, 01:19 PM
A few questions:
1) Do these settings shorten the overshoot or lengthen?

2) What is the difference between the first and second setting?

3) What are the initial values incase I want to change it back?

Thanks,

HUGE

BubbleLamp
02-20-2002, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by HUGE
A few questions:
1) Do these settings shorten the overshoot or lengthen?
The numbers I gave shorten the overshoot.

2) What is the difference between the first and second setting?
I have no real idea.

3) What are the initial values incase I want to change it back?
This change disappears when you reboot. See this thread (http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?threadid=24969) and this (http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?threadid=20913) one for some more data.

Thanks,

HUGE

groundhog
03-19-2002, 06:59 PM
Press ENTER-ENTER-REWIND, the record light will come on. The search box will say Offset: I use 950 here. Press ENTER-ENTER-REWIND again, the record light will go off.

Press ENTER-ENTER-FORWARD, the record light will come on. The search box will say Delay: I use 750 here. Press ENTER-ENTER-FORWARD again, the record light will go off.

I used 1000/750 for the longest time(it was the original setting for version 1.3). I saw this post and tried 950. I liked 950, but it would still overshoot a little. I've settled at 900/750. I like this setting the most. I'm sure it's probably a little different for each person, but I've tried other settings in the past like 900/650 & the 900/750 is my favorite so far.

P.S. Here is how Otto defines offset and delay:

Let's face it. The new autocorrection blows mighty heaving chunks.

So, the true hacker fixes the problem. Thanks to cramer for pointing these variables out. Thanks to me for figuring out exactly WTF they might possibly be, and screwing around with them for four hours to find something that approximates "normal" behavior.

These are variables like any other. I recommend setting them in the prom or in the first few lines of rc.sysinit (preferably PROM, if you have space to do so). As long as you export them before myworld starts, you're good, I think.

TIVO_CORRECTION_OFFSET appears to be the value used to back up after play is hit.. It's in milliseconds, obviously.
TIVO_CORRECTION_DELAY appears to be a variable to define how much time it takes for the IR command to be processed.

When I say "milliseconds" I mean milliseconds while in high speed mode. I think you can simply add the two values, multiply by whatever speed you're in (3,20,60) and figure out how far the jump back will be. I'm probably wrong on that though.

Settings of OFFSET: 1500, DELAY: 500 seem to approximate the 1.3 correction. Maybe I'm wrong and they need to be adjusted more, I've only played with them for a little bit, and I'm a tad drunk so my reaction time isn't the best of all possible worlds.

I examined the myworld binary in depth and found no more interesting variables we didn't already know about. I don't think these two were in 1.3 since I never saw them way back when... Still, if you find better settings than 1500,500, lemme know.. These, naturally, will be independent to each user, so use what *you* think is best.

P.S.S. I stated above that 1.3 was set to 1000/750. Otto said that he believed that it was something like 1500,500. This was copied from an old post from otto. He later discovered that the settings were 1000/750.

HUGE
03-19-2002, 08:38 PM
Is there some way to add this to the rc.sysinit so I don't lose it on reboot?

Thanks,

HUGE

HUGE
03-22-2002, 02:23 AM
bump

groundhog
03-22-2002, 11:02 AM

Yes, but I don't know how. Someone mentioned how to do it somewhere in this forum about 3 weeks ago(I'm pretty sure that it was here and not at AVS?). Anyway try a search. You have to enable backdoors upon boot, then create a file that gives out the remote control commands used. You may want to start by writing down every command used after your tivo boots, to when it is corrected.

Example, something like this:

tivo, down, down, down, down, select, down, down, down, select, B D 2 5, down, down, down, select, E, E, FF, 750....etc.

I don't really know what the correct comands are, this is just an example. But anyway, you should be able to find what you need if you just search a little. It can be done.

BubbleLamp
03-22-2002, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by HUGE

Thanks,

HUGE

Yea I tried to do this using SENDKEY, but never got the timing down. You have to put a lot of delays in to allow for the time it takes to change screens. I gave up after a while, it's easier to do it by hand!

You might want to check out this (http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=8604) thread too.