PDA

View Full Version : test cards & dtivo

wiz23
02-20-2002, 01:01 PM
I just got my dtivo (dsr6000) and before I start messing with it...

I paid the life time sub , and I am going to activate it with DTV .
just wanted to know , can I use HU cards with act scripts without changing anything on the dtivo system? is there a way to prevent dave from getting the information or I have to use xtreme25.

Thanks for the answers, sorry if its sound stupid.

mrblack51
02-20-2002, 01:26 PM
these are questions better asked in other forums.

the dtivo normally logs everything in the /var/log dir, so do a search on deleting logs if that is your concern.

wiz23
02-20-2002, 02:25 PM
So from what u r saying I have to load xtreme so I can get the bash and clear the logs?

I would realy wan't to leave the box as is for now , so I can see all the original features before starting to change it ( anyway I payed for the sub.
the only thing is that I don't want to tell DTV I'm watching march mad..

mrblack51
02-20-2002, 03:08 PM
the dtivo 2.5 software deletes any changes you make to it normally. if you wnat to make changes, you will need to do the speedboot fix/kernel fix or use 25xtreme. both will void the warantee. otherwise, you can wipe the logs by pulling the drive, then let it call in without a card in, but that will void the warantee to.

wiz23
02-20-2002, 03:37 PM
so after upgrading through the phone call to tivo, I disconect the line and use my hu card until I will force a call without the card.
Thats all I need to do ?

sorry for being a pain !:rolleyes:

mrblack51
02-20-2002, 03:42 PM
The tivo service requires you to call in at least once every 30 days to verify your subscription to Tivo, and such. If you do not let it call in in 30 days, you will have a tivo that can't record anything, and just be able to use the 30 minute buffer for skipping commercials,trickplays, etc.

lifetime units still have to call in to check their status. its just the way tivo has it set up (thats why we developed fixup/fixsub).

basically, it is unsafe to do things to your subscription and let your tivo call in, bottom line. the tivo call is seperate from the dtv call, but its still not a good idea.

I dont want to be rude, but issues regarding dtv should be directed toward an appropriate forum. your question is very boarderline. we don't discuss the semantics of activation, 3ms, etc. here.