Thread: Largest 2nd hard drive?????

Hybrid View

Largest 2nd hard drive?????

Whats the largest second hard drive that you can add to a Phillips Direct/Tivo unit?

160gb for either A or B drive...

JQ

Whats the largest drive you can afford? the 160 is the largest right now...if I am not mistaken....let me look....
    Yep...160 is it...... for now

I thought there was a 120GB size limit because of Linux not being able to recognise a drive over that size... Is this not true?
    dec.

I've heard some say that the Tivo can use only 132GB, so a 160GB drive would give you a little more recording time than a 120GB drive.

Has anyone tested this, and ascertained if it can use all of a 160GB drive?

due to limitations in the ide interface itself you can only get 128 gigabytes (~137.5 billion bytes) the 160 billion byte drive sends non-standard commands over the ide interface to work around the issue

Can the Dtvios accomodate those nonstandard messages, then? Or is 120 the practical limit?

well.. a 120 billion byte drive is only ~112GByte so you get a good deal more with a 160 billion byte drive.. (even if it only recognizes another 16 billion bytes...)

The IDE driver needs to be rewritten to use the full capacity of these new drives. The source is available, but no one to my knowledge has done any work on it.