Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm interested in making a 1 CD backup of your tivo!

I'm interested in making a 1 CD backup of your tivo!

My topic says it all, we got to find a way to make it work! I really have this 12 cd back up. Do you? Join the forum and talk about your expirience!! Come on guys!!
    - Vadim
    Administrator

So anyone is here willing to try ZapStream to make a good backup? I think I can host it on this server if it's not too big.
    - Vadim
    Administrator

I would be very interested in seeing a single drive DirecTiVo backup posted, and I think a lot of others would be too.

-GhostInTheMachine

ZapStream

Ok, this is my first post. Ive been a TiVo owner for about two monts. Being outside the US, Ive had to overcome some situation (intl phone calls, etc). Ive managed to fix some problems with the Tivonet, but I still need some other solutions (a guide compatible to my channel lineup for example)

The unit I purchased was preowned, so I believe if I am to do a backup currently, I would need a lot of CDs, so I am willing to know what this ZapStream is and if it oculd help me to make a small backup.

Jorge Asch
    San Jose, Costa Rica

I'll up a virgin back up If you like

Virgin back up: 1014MB made with diskpro
    phillips hdr212 single disk quantum 22Gb.

just tell me where to up it to and I'll do it...once.

i could break it op into 100x 10Mb chunks if needed

How about freedrive.com or one of those soon to be out of business storage facilities. if you're hesitant about leaving it there, zip up the files and put a password on it. just a suggestion. btw, whoever started this forum f*cking rocks and I hope to see as much effort put forth by the people here as has been put forth by the people in "the other forum". Keep up the good work and don't let big brother influence your actions.

back ups in the smallest hacked size

Isn't it an idea to collect the smallest sized back ups (virgin, virgin hacked and also in different versions) and put them on an ftp? I could host some of it or post them on request to an ftp.

could someone point out what back ups fit on with types of tivo's. dit the hardware of the tivo's change over the years or can we restore a 1.3 version onto a tivo that currently runs 2.02? and what about locked drives...wil that be a problem.

someone with expirience please respond.

going to hell is not a problem, being there is a different case.

Re: back ups in the smallest hacked size

Hardware didn't change for all stand alone tivos, even if you have a 60 hour one you still can restore a 14 hour backup and use tivomad utility to make it work as 60 hours. Combo boxes is a different story since there are hughes,sony,philips.
    You also have sony stand alone, for those you will probably need a sony image, everything is the same except the remote control commands. Yes you can restore 1.3 on 2.0.1 and it will work just fine.
    Locked drives is not a problem just use dlgchk.

Originally posted by Lure
    Isn't it an idea to collect the smallest sized back ups (virgin, virgin hacked and also in different versions) and put them on an ftp? I could host some of it or post them on request to an ftp.

could someone point out what back ups fit on with types of tivo's. dit the hardware of the tivo's change over the years or can we restore a 1.3 version onto a tivo that currently runs 2.02? and what about locked drives...wil that be a problem.

someone with expirience please respond.

- Vadim
    Administrator

I don't understand the big deal with zapstream. The tools all exist to move files into and out of the MFS area. Wouldn't it make more sense to delete all of your video files, then make a backup consisting of the following:

Boot sector (image/compressed)
    bootstrap1 (image/compressed)
    kernel1 (image/compressed)
    bootstrap2 (image/compressed)
    kernel2 (image/compressed)
    root1 (all files/tarball)
    root2 (all files/tarball)
    then just grab the individual files from the MFS area via a script, write them to a temporary area (like /var) and tarball them as well.
    (For those who do not know tarball means .tar.gz or .tar.bz2 file.)

Then, when it is time to restore, you restore everything up to the root directories and write a temporary rc.sysinit file that brings the system most of the way up, re-initializes the MFS area and loads the data back onto the drive from the /var temporary area.

Now this assumes that /var is big enough to hold the compressed versions of the MFS area, but you could start /var out as 192 mb instead of 128, use it to perform this, then umount /var, fdisk the partition back into a swap and an ext2, and re-initialize them. Then you just rename rc.sysinit make into place and reboot. This then allows you to use your backup to restore onto any size hard drive(s) automatically. You could also make the swap area 128mb instead of 64mb which many have claimed has helped them out. This would give you 256mb to start out with as a temporary storage area, which should almost certainly be enough space to hold compressed versions of everything that needs to go into MFS, especially in OS 1.3

Sorry for the long-winded first post.

Any thoughts on this?
    Aram1s

Exclamation ok, test ftp is up.

Did you test that , aram1s?
    I think a backup like that schould be on the ftp
    I made a test ftp. For the moment the only two downloads are winrar2.80 to cut, compress and unpack files files and my own 1 gb big tivo back up from my phillips hdr112 (made with diskpro)

if you upload, go ahead. but let me know infront how much mb the upload is. eventually I'll build a 20 GB in ( now there is only 2,5 GB available)

For downloading mail me at tivolure@hotmail.com and I might grant you an account.

Uploaders that mail first wil get an perminent account.

preview with: the link expired a long time ago, sorry
    login xxxx
    pass xxxx
    ftp xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    port xx
    Last edited by Lure; 12-14-2003 at 07:00 AM.

aram1s,

Good idea, do it and make a step-by-step on what you did and release all the scripts needed to do this.

Honestly, that is the best method, but the scripts to initalize and populate a new MFS are hard to come by, and impossible to find for a DirecTiVo. I think it was Sorphin that posted on AVS that he had done this. I can't find the correct thread anymore, but it was not easy and you had to find the correct scripts TiVo accidentaly left on some old 1.3 systems. And again this is useless for DirecTiVo, because there are no scripts to initalize or populate the MFS partition on a DirecTiVo.

Good Luck,
    -GhostInTheMachine

Well, right now I have (i think) about 2 evenings more work to override the ... ummmmm ... to finish what i am currently working on with my tivo

Once I am done with that I will take a crack at what I was talking about above. I am not the greatest tcl programmer. i'm more of a perl haker myself, but I am willing to give it a shot.

A

Originally posted by GITM
    aram1s,

Good idea, do it and make a step-by-step on what you did and release all the scripts needed to do this.

Honestly, that is the best method, but the scripts to initalize and populate a new MFS are hard to come by, and impossible to find for a DirecTiVo. I think it was Sorphin that posted on AVS that he had done this. I can't find the correct thread anymore, but it was not easy and you had to find the correct scripts TiVo accidentaly left on some old 1.3 systems. And again this is useless for DirecTiVo, because there are no scripts to initalize or populate the MFS partition on a DirecTiVo.

Good Luck,
    -GhostInTheMachine

Let me see if I understand the problem. The method being used is to create an image of the disk and compress it because we don't know how to create the partitions properly. The problem comes in that the erased media files are still using space because the image doesn't know the difference.

Assuming I understand the problem, would it not make sense to just write a utility that zeros out unused space. Thus it would compress completely. A program would just have to write zeros to the disk until it was full and erase the file.

If I am way off base, ignore me.

not off base, but limited by what you atre looking at. Doing it as you say will back a perfect backup and an easy restore. However, the way I want to do it, means that your restore can go to any size hard drive and can vary the size of the swap partition. Also, by zeroing out the mfs you are not touching the ext2 partitions at all and you are backup up /var which does not need to be backed up at all, it will be recreated on the fly. That is probably costing you hundreds of megabytes.

So, what I propose, while more complex, gives the benefit of a smaller backup and the ability to restore to any size hard drive, or even 2 hard drives.

Also it is not true that we do not know how to do the MFS stuff. There is a thread on AVS that describes it in great detail.

A

Rebuild from scratch

d18c7db posted this process to build a TiVo disk from scratch here:

http://pvrhack.sonnik.com/tivo/d18c7db/

I have found all the scripts that he used but he extracted fonts, sounds, and images from mfs partition 10 and videos from mfs partion 11 (he also modified the videos). He has a list of all the files he used in the process. 400M of source files.

Sooooooo, the question is How to get the required source files from the mfs partitions?

Also, ZapStream allows you to zero out your video recording to make the backup files smaller. I have one under 1Gig but not yet got it below 650M. Someone on AVS did.
    http://pvrhack.sonnik.com/tivo/download.asp

Enjoy