Thread: cant mount

cant mount

at the tbd login screen when i press enter is where the message
    mount : block device/dev/hda is write protected, mounting read only!!
    if i enter the 25xtreme command it says
    sh:/cdrom/live/bin/25xtreme: cannot excute binary file!
    what is do you think is up with this?

You have your IDE device's incorrectly configured.
    You can not have your TiVo A drive connected as hda ( primary master ).

I suggest that you use the following configuration.

hda is your normal computer's boot drive (Primary Master)
    hdb is your CDROM (Primary Slave)
    hdc is your TiVo A drive (Secondary Master)
    hdd is your TiVo B drive (Secondary Slave) if you are using one.

T

thanks for the reply......

i have tried all of the mentioned configurations and still have the same message !!
    im at the end of my rope !!!
    one thought..... should i have made the cd with a cdrw or cdr??
    i made it with a cdr..........
    any other suggestions?
    also my current config is exactly how you mentioned above and i keep getting the hdb is write protected thats why im asking if it should have been burnt to a cdrw..
    also whatever i do it keeps looking back to the cdrom????? i dont understan.... how come it keeps looking to go to the cdrom????????????????????????????????????
    Last edited by jeff24; 03-09-2002 at 12:44 AM.

Thats your cd-rom. Just push enter twice then 25xtreme enter.

i had this problem with my pioneer dvd player. had to boot with my cdrw drive

using fstools2 Boot CD
    # mkdir /mnt/dos
    # mount /dev/hda /mnt/dos

Anyone have a problem mounting where it comes back with an error and says you must set the fs TYPE ??

I tried:
    # mount -t auto /dev/hda /mnt/dos
    and
    # mount -t vfat /dev/hda /mnt/dos
    but no luck.

Anyway to get past this?

My config: (because of IDE cable length restraints)
    -------------------------------------------------
    hda - normal computer's boot drive (Primary Master)
    hdb - Single TiVo drive (Primary Slave)
    hdc - DVR-RW (Secondary Master)
    hdd - DVR-ROM (Secondary Slave)

C Drive - WinXP Fat32, is a WD 80 GB drive
    hdb Drive - TiVo, is a Maxtor 40 GB (Fireball) drive
    DVD-RW - Lite-on 16X +/-R DL
    DVD-ROM- Lite-on 16X ROM

Once I can mount and backup, I plan to install a 300GB TiVo drive and initiate.

Try making your cd rom that you want to use as HDA. Then make your tivo drive HDC. It should work then.

You need to specify a partition to mount; assuming only one partition on your Win drive:

mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/dos

ought to do it; you can try the -t flags if you still have trouble...
    ScanMan --> Just another Tivo hacker...
    Killhdinitrd SA S2 Monte S2 Unscramble Upgrade Tivo Software

PackCat,
    You gotta specify partition when mounting HDD, ie /dev/hda1 (or 2 or 3, etc depending on partition # you want)

In other words:
    mount /dev/hda0 /mnt/dos

DZ
    Last edited by iMagic; 08-19-2006 at 06:33 PM.
    One man's "magic" is another man's engineering. "Supernatural" is a null word. (Robert A. Heinlein)

Quote Originally Posted by InRBigness
    Try making your cd rom that you want to use as HDA. Then make your tivo drive HDC. It should work then.
    Quote Originally Posted by ScanMan View Post
    You need to specify a partition to mount; assuming only one partition on your Win drive:
    mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/dos
    ought to do it; you can try the -t flags if you still have trouble...
    Both of you make absolute sense. Thanks to both of you.
    Too bad people that document these things leave out such a simple important fact.

The CD (DVD) booted just fine as Secondary Master
    I was even able to mount /dev/HDD as /mnt/cd2
    And the TiVo drive wouldn't mount either. (didn't know the file system type)

Unfortunately, I gave up in disgust and remounted the drive back into the receiver. I'll try again tomorrow or just wait until my pair of 300 GB drives arrive next week... Is it absolutely essential to have a boot drive installed on the system, and not just a virgin and TiVo drive, and of course a CD device?

Just maybe it would be easier to SSH to my linux server and try to mount a local TiVo drive and then back it up to my server... Has anyone tried to figure out if that is possible... I'd even be willing to allocate space if someone wants to try. I used to have a ksh shell that I could run inside of windows which was pretty nice for things like copying and backups.

BTW, it said something about Super Block, so that probably refers to the drive table, and the partition would be a sub under that. That is painfully obviously when you define window partitions. especially in boot.ini of windows.
    ----
    Also, IS there anyone besides PTV that has or provides the latest boot disk to modify the 704 receiver (6.2) after I get it backed up? I wouldn't mind purchasing from him if he didn't have such a bad attitude and treat everyone in contempt. Everyone should chip-in and get him some Ritalin for his Birthday!

Check the messages that are logged during boot up of the CD. If you see the one that says the signature is 1492 but expecting 9214, then you have a simple byteswapping issue.

If you boot the Windows OS with the TiVo drive attached, you can FUBAR the TiVo drives MBR. (I don't think you've done this yet as your TiVo still boots).

Most of the linux builds assume that a FAT drive is attached to /dev/hda and will not autodetect or turn on byteswapping for that drive. That's why it can be a good idea to attach your CD-ROM there (not because it won't boot from somewhere else).

ew