Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: guide data, guide data, guide data

Lightbulb guide data, guide data, guide data

This needs to be nipped in the bud.

At first glance of the log files, it appears that it gets the files via httpd by posting the headend identifier. It then retrives a gzipped file. What we need to do is get a copy of that file to discern the format of the data.

Tivo uses Tribune for their guide data. Tribune distributes this data for all headends in what they call their BigBuild. Its then up to Tivo to break up the data per headend lineup based on the channel lineup.

Now for the good news. I have access to the BigBuild.

Anyone want to give it a whirl?

Eek. Roughly how big is one of these? Have you looked at it to see what sort of format it is in? The tivo doesn't have much in terms of procesing power, or in available utilities to parse the file effectively, i bet...

Which means that people will need to either parse it themselves, or somebody has to be brave enough to host a couple different parsed listings for people...

I'd be interested in seeing a copy of the BigBuild.. But the other needed part is a copy of the file from tivo to see what they're converting it into... Is the gzipped file laying around while it's being processed, so you can copy it out of the way, or is the full URL in the log so you can retreive it multiple times?

The "BigBuild" is 20Meg+.

I really am not suggesting to use this data. But we can certainly use it to test.

Once we figure out the format the Tivo needs it in, it would be an easy task to write a script to "rip" the data from one of the many online guide web sites. Hence anyone would easily have access to data. Some already exist.

Haven't spent much time researching the data downloads yet. Just getting started. Got bored with hacking DTV and figured I would move on to the TIVO. The guide seems to be the big sticking point with everyone as well as "Taboo" everywhere.

I am spending the $10/mth now for one unit. But cant justify it for multiple units. I think $10/mth is robbery for the data. Especially for Tribune data that is known to be inaccurate. This is widely known in an industry that GEMSTAR (The Microsoft of Guide Data) owns.

I also think we can simplify the task by using some of the other scripts as a starting point(jPag for one). The aussies have already figured this out but aren't talking. Seems kind of hypocritical that its ok for them to hack the guide data and use it but nobody else can. Let them stay down under.

In my opinion, I'll bet if we figure this out and release it, that TIVO sales will go through the roof. A commercial product, with GPL'ed software all from a company that quietly endorses us hacking their product (except the data that they dont own, thats why they dont want us touching it). What hacker wouldnt want one.

I would also gladly pay more for the unit rather than have to be stuck with a monthly recurring charge. And I am sure more feel the same.

So lets get this boulder rolling down hill...........

Lets make it a group effort............

"illie" already posted the first task. We need copies of the gzipped data the units download. The logs dont show where it stores these files once retrieved. But I am sure with enough people looking we will find it. Forget about trying to retreive it manually from Tivo site. You wont get it. We need to find it on the unit itself.

it stores data somewhere in /var
    since / is mounted read only means one one place to store this /var
    as getting things manualy
    yeap manualy it's imposible but with some kind of perl script
    should be very easy
    since before it can get anything it MUST post your serial & other info...
    then it gets couple gz
    but bad part that they are encrypted and tivo decrypt them with key ring stored in /var/private

Eel sushi rules!

Does it ever leave the decrypted version laying around while processing? Maybe find a copy of 'strace' compiled for the tivo to watch what files it uses..

We don't really care about the encryption... Because we want to use our own data instead of theirs...

And yeah we have jpag's script which shows us how to add entries in there, give them descriptions, etc.

So what is missing is mainly the part that tells the tivo that it is subscribed, that way it doesn't nag... And we can write a perl script or something to parse a web based tv listing, and then use jpag's script to add all the entries in to the guide..

It would be nice to see the official way tivo does it to look for something that isn't so much of a hack.. but in the meantime, it'll do..

illie,
    I have this part I can tell you tivo that it's subbed and no longer need to call papppa...
    Eel sushi rules!

Spit it out! What's required to do this?

I take it that the tivo would wipe this setting out every time if it connects to the real tivo server for channel listings tho...

well all what you have to do is
    load right serviceState to /Setup
    and expiration date for state...
    but one of the states is service stolen
    so I think if you gonna call them with wrong state it will probably set to stolen ...
    so we realy have to get our guide...
    and in reality I see some legal issues with using they guide w/o paing for it.... however getting our guide and loading it in can't couse legal issues since you no longer using they service.

Eel sushi rules!

I have been examining the guide data you can view on zap2it.com . It seems that it shouldn't be hard to parse this into the format that the DTV PPV guide data is delivered in that Jpags generates.

I am interested in the BigBuild data. Is there any way I can get a copy of it?

If you can set the subscribed/unsubscribed state of the Tivo then it wouldn't matter if it didn't call in anymore. As long as the guide data was updated and the time was set the Tivo would operate correctly right?

no
    there 10 states from 0 to 9
    and seems like most important state expiration!
    and you have to update it once in a while...
    seems like setting this variable to something very big cousing problems with myworld.

Eel sushi rules!

so we could just set the state correctly when we "call" in to get the guide information. But the call in wouldn't go to its normal place it would go to wherever it is told to get data from. That way Tivo can't detect tampering.

Do you know what the 10 different states mean exactly? Would be interesting to know.

# ServiceState definitions
    # Start version 1
    # NOTE: This list MUST match the one in schema/ServiceState.enum
    variable SVC_STATE_NULL 0
    variable SVC_STATE_EXISTS 1
    variable SVC_STATE_PREACTIVATED 2
    variable SVC_STATE_GOOD 3
    variable SVC_STATE_TEST 4
    variable SVC_STATE_LIFETIME 5
    variable SVC_STATE_LATE 6
    variable SVC_STATE_DEACTIVATED 7
    variable SVC_STATE_RETIRED 8
    variable SVC_STATE_STOLEN 9
    Eel sushi rules!

Do you think a guide data machine (separate machine) will be necessary or will the Tivo itself be able to parse the data from a tv guide website?

1st of all
    tivo defently can't do this...
    I had problem with long list of PPV from JPags...
    tivo reboots by itself becouse it's running out of memory
    so I solder more ram...
    and still lot of problem...
    I think most importatnt to produce same format as currently tivo process. create our own server which will distribute it...
    and don't forget other part... we need listing for everything not only dtv....

replacing IP address of server and dialout procedure should not be a problem...
    Eel sushi rules!

incoming files

Incoming files are stored in /var/packages
    as they are being downloaded.

Simplest way to back it up while it is still
    ariving is go to another directory and create
    a hard link to it:

ln /var/packages/xyz.slice.gz \ /var/hack/packages/xyz.slice.gz

When the original file is deleted, the hard link
    will remain.