Thread: Can I change the frame rate ??

Can I change the frame rate ??

I want to use a Tivo as a security camera recorder... the camera will not move and the picture will have little to no motion. Can I change the frame rate to increase the record time?

What about using VBR... I would like to use little to no space for static scenes and crank the resolution up when needed for motion in the frame.

I have seen software that will record everything high resolution but using little to no space on "no motion" scenes.. I think it works by only recording the changed portion of the scene....

Any thoughts ?

Thanks

framerate

The framerate can be changed. I can't tell anything more but it is a fact.
    I have changed my sa tivo from ntsc 30 frame/second to Pal 25 frames a second.

Changing the quality of the recording from highest to lowest quality (stil good) will save a lot of disk space ( 6 hours to 20 hours)

please publish anything that you find about this. I'm short in time the comming days but will dive into this problem monday.

good luck

Re: framerate

Originally posted by Lure
    The framerate can be changed. I can't tell anything more but it is a fact.
    I have changed my sa tivo from ntsc 30 frame/second to Pal 25 frames a second.
    Hi Lure,

I assume you use Palmod to do this? Would you share your module?

I wonder if you can play your PAL show in NTSC TV. It would be really cool if TiVo can be used as a PAL->NTSC converter (or the other way around).

For example, I have a PAL handycam, but I only have an NTSC TV. Can I record my handycam to TIVO as a PAL show, and then play the recorded TiVo show in NTSC TV?

ntsc->pal

and original tivo to a pal tv wordks: most new pal tv's have no problem with NTSC.

PAL to NTSC-TiVo won't work with out a palmod.

didn't I read some here that the hughes software can be put to a phillips machine ( gb->usa tivo) That would save you the trouble of doing a palmod.

I wonder if the chip will only go from 25 to 30 frames per second?

I would like to lower it to about 3 to 4 frames per second.

thanks
    don

any progression?

dabeckham: I wonder if the chip will only go from 25 to 30 frames per second?
    I wouldn't be suprised if the framespeed is somehow hardware related. (MPEG encoder chip or something) Is there any information around that backs this Idea up or I'm I talking "bull shit"in the first place.

I like to do the opposite, I want the frame rate to dubble. I suspect to need camera input in stead of broadcast input to accomplish that. anyway: who knows more or sets me off in the right direction.