Thread: Stand Alone Tivo Sub question

Stand Alone Tivo Sub question

I have a stand alone 212 Tivo that I added a 60GB HD to. I am using it with a RCA DTV and test card, ALSO a 4DTV C/KU Band satellite receiver. I pay for the monthly update. My question is, Since Tivo has upped the monthly fee and sooner or later I will loose the test card and be stuck with a manual C-Band satellite to record off of. I don't see how the guide will help with my stand alone Sat. Should I get the lifetime sub or let the sub die? Can I still use the Tivo without the sub? What are the advantages/disadvantages
    Thanks

well, we always encourage people to sub.

the fixsub script will not give you guide data, but it will stop the nags. if you choose to build your own guide data, then the tivo will stop bugging you about not having data. otherwise, you will just have to do manual recordings.

you are one of the few people who have good reason to create your own guide data, since your c-band stuff isnt supported. basically, if you could figure out how to translate the tivo channel changes to work with your cband stuff, then after making your own guide data you would be good to go.

Thanks for the reply, Im going to try a test. I have an old F card that only gets music, However it also gets the guide. Im going to try to use it in a DTV and see if the Tivo will update with it. If it does then I guess Ill pay the $200 and convert to a lifetime sub. Now at $13 I would have it paid in 1-1/2 years. Of course then they might change something else and you might have to buy all over again. I also beleive I can make a table to convert the Tivo guide to corespond to my C-Band subs, Although I get the denver networks on C-Band which I wont get guide date for on Tivo