Thread: Not Enough Recording Space?

Question Not Enough Recording Space?

Can someone help me out with the following issue:

When I go to record something I now get a message saying that there is not enough space on the hard drive to record the following program.

It goes on to say that I need to delete programs that I have saved "until I delete."

I have 127 hours of variable record time using a 80GB and 60GB extremed dtivo. I have approx. 58 hours of shows in Now Playing. And I have the Season Pass activated for a number of shows.

I have no idea what variable means and if I can control it.

Am I doing something wrong? I would like to keep the movies I have recorded and thought that 127 hours of record time would be plenty.

Thanks

If any of those movies were recorded with Dolby 5.1, your disk space could indeed be gone. That's one of the reasons why they use the term variable. You'll have to modify/delete some season passes or the saved movies.

Cool That explains it

I have 3 movies that are recorded in Dolby Digital. I'm sure that's the problem. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

You may be right, but I'm not sure about that.

Rock Star which is DD 5.1 and runs 1:46 takes up ~2.1GB of space. American Pie II which is Dolby Surround, 1:51 long, uses ~2.3GB of space.

If dtv uses the Dolby recommended bit rate of 384kb/s for 5.1 that would be ~173MB/hr for audio.

I think there might be another problem.

- Bob

Another thing to look at. If you have a lot of season passes set and they are set to "Keep until I delete", that will screw the system up because it knows what is upcoming and it has to keep room for that.

I had the same problem. When I switched them to, "Keep until space is needed" everything started working again.

Hope that helps.

Space Management

genericuser is right. It is looking ahead. You might have plenty of space today, but based on its to-do list, it is probably predicting you won't have enough space in the future, so it won't allow you to record more.

I had the same problem and also fixed it by changing some of the future programs to be saved until a specific date instead of "Until I delete." Suddenly everything was ok again.

The darn thing is too smart sometimes.