Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SA Tivo Hard Drive

SA Tivo Hard Drive

I want to upgrade my HD in my SA tivo. Does brand matter?? I did read in one of the guides about using a 5400 rpm which is no problem. I also saw in a few threads here about using a Quantum--Are they still around?? Are there any brands to stay away from?? I am looking at a Maxtor and wanted to know if this should be ok.

Yeah....I'm a newbie

I used an 80 GB 5400 rpm Maxtor in my DTivo and it is working just fine.

The Quantums used to be suggested a lot, because they were used as backups. People would make a backup directly to a Quantum drive, and use it as the new A drive keeping the original as the backup. We can now make 130 meg compressed images, an use other drives as a new A drive, so it doesn't matter that much. I've mainly seen people use Maxtor, Western Digital, Seagate. Those are 3 that I can think of off the top of my head. Brand is only as important as the quality that follows the brand. Just make sure that it has an IDE connection. Some people discourage 7200rpm drives because they tend to run a little hotter.

WD's tend to be quite noisy, I'd stay away from them.

Maxtors seem to be the least expensive, and therefore most popular. Fry's currently has a 80gig on sale for $90. Great Price. It's a 7200, but I paid about $220 for an 80gig 5400 Maxtor just about a year ago.

Some prefer Seagate. I got a 60gig on sale for $80 a few months back, and it works great. They also are on sale now an then at fry's. If you aren't local to a Fry's Elec, then you can try ordering one from the web. Here is a link to a site that has many low cost internet sites for hard drives.

http://www.pricewatch.com./

I've got a local guy who has a Maxtor 5400 80gig for $120. In my system now is just the original drive. Being this is my first time opening the box even, would it be wise for me to leave my original alone and just work on the new drive or should I go for the 2 together right off the bat? I am good with pc's but have never experienced Linux. With 2 drives in it, is the heat inside much greater??? My entertainment center is crowded right now with not a whole lot of air flow. I have already considered installing some fans since my stereo reciever throws a load of heat already.

If you have access to a CD burner, then there is no reason you shouldn't go ahead and back up your A drive and add the 80 gig as a "B" drive. Even if you don't have access to the Burner, if you have a little space left on your PC's hard drive, you can back it up to the hard drive and figure out how to get it on a CD later....You other option is not to make a backup. It's the easiest option, but the most risky. You can probably find the image you need here anyway, but you may want to try to find it first, before making a choice like that. Anyway, I would suggest backing up the image to your PC drive, blessing the 80 Gig "B" drive, and adding it. It's not hard to do, and you don't need to know a thing about Linix. Just follow Hinsdale's instructions.

Thanks for the info. I do have access to a burner, but I thought that I had to disconnect the hard drives in my pc and boot with the cd. I guess I better read some more before I start doing this project. Is the 25Extreme the right guide to follow?
    Yeah... I'm a Newbie

Have you read Hinsdale's doc here?

Is the 25Extreme the right guide to follow?
    NO! Extreme was mainly created for hacks on Direct TV Tivos. There should be no reason that you need it. Just follow Hinsdales guide, and find the files mentioned in it. You will still want to create a bootable CD, if you can, but it won't be extreme. See section 4) of the guide, for which one you need.

Red face Thank you

Thank you guys for your help. No I never saw that guide. My wife would kill me if I screw up her Tivo
    Yeah... I'm a Newbie

I was exploring my SA Tivo over the weekend. I have Ver 2.5 software on it. Do I still follow Hinsdales guide to add the extra HD?? Is there anything else to do to it?? I would ultimately like to disable the channel logging or the phone dialing.
    Also, Is there a way to add a second tuner to this pos or buy a new one.
    Yeah... I'm a Newbie

Adding the second drive is easy, follow Hinsdale's doc. You cannot disable dial-in, that's how the SA Tivo's get their guide data. And if you can add a second tuner, then you don't need to be here.

Originally posted by BubbleLamp
    And if you can add a second tuner, then you don't need to be here.

Thats what I figured...just a hope. No way to disable the channel logging?? Is there anything else I can do the SA or is it just swapping drives??? I can't leave well enough alone.
    Yeah... I'm a Newbie

No way to disable the channel logging??
    There's definately a way, I'm just not sure anyone has figured it out and posted it here.

Did you see my post at the bottom of this thread?

One of the problems with following the Clearlogs fix is that it is done after the phone call is attempted. That wouldn't help you much because your unit would have actually made a phone call at that point. The trick is to find a point in rcsysinit, where a phone call is initiated, & place the execution command there......BEFORE.... the phone call is actually made. I'm not entirely sure that this is possible, but I would imagine that this would be the best approach. Maybe there is a way to make it execute at midnight every night? I think that the phone calls usually take place at around 2AM.
    Last edited by groundhog; 04-03-2002 at 09:13 PM.