Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BoatAnchor Mode TRUE!

29 BoatAnchor Mode TRUE!

Well you have to lol about this.

I installed a Turbonet board the other day. Without really thinking it through, I entered all of the IP info including my Linksys default gateway. Doh!

The next day I was gloating over my accomplishments and saw a message saying the Tivo had never been setup. I am running fixsub so how could that be?

Well, when I ran fixsub as a standalone script, it worked fine. When I ran the daily call, the service status on the info screen changed to 7 never set up.

It then occurred to me (with a little help) that the TiVo went through the inet to connect and get the service status!

Anyway, I now have a line at the top of the system info screen that says "Boatanchor mode TRUE!". Everything seems to work ok. Has anyone been as lame as me and done this?

Re: BoatAnchor Mode TRUE!

Originally posted by newlooper
    It then occurred to me (with a little help) that the TiVo went through the inet to connect and get the service status!

Anyway, I now have a line at the top of the system info screen that says "Boatanchor mode TRUE!". Everything seems to work ok. Has anyone been as lame as me and done this?
    What did you do to make it go into boatanchor mode?

I think I'm having the same problem you had since my TurboNet install. I just removed the TurboNet's default gateway (192.168.1.1) to try to correct this.

I have been running 25xtreme. Now, I see that System Information shows my Software Version is 2.5-01-1-001. I don't recall that many digits previously.

And now the first entry on my System Information is: Backdoors ENABLED!.

And down below the Tivo copyright info, there are two screen fulls of status info: Allow Manual Record, Allow PPV Record, Allow Shortcuts (shortcuts?), Allow Guide (huh?).

I'm pretty sure I looked here before but never saw these previously. Are these showing only because the backdoors are now enabled? Or have I received a sneaky update via sat or network?

Extreme is version 2.5-01.

You are getting all the extra information because backdoors are enabled.

rd001
    What did you do to make it go into boatanchor mode?

I let it attach to TiVo through the internet.

And now the first entry on my System Information is: Backdoors ENABLED!.

As tweaky said, it shows up because the software backdoors are enabled. (neat little tricks you can do with the TiVo-harmless)

I meant to add.. I would set the gw to something that you know is false such as 10.10.10.10 just incase there is a default gw somewhere.

tivo software version 2.5 can use the turbonet to communicate with tivo via the internet?

Fortunately I configured my router to block communications to the internet from my tivos IP address.
    Last edited by AlphaWolf; 05-22-2002 at 12:16 PM.
    Before PMing me: Iím not your personal tech support. If you have a question, ask in public so I don't have to repeat if somebody else asks. If you want images or slices, use emule. I will ignore all support PMs.

Sponsor a vegetarian! I have taken the pledge, how about you?

Has anyone tried running fixup to get out of BoatAnchor mode?

Fixup works but the problem is the daily call fails if the ethernet is physically disconnected. It passes if it is connected but the service status is 7 never set up.

I tried changing the default gw address to a non-existent address but it still connected anyway.

Any ideas

Originally posted by newlooper
    I tried changing the default gw address to a non-existent address but it still connected anyway.

Any ideas
    How is that possible? Can you ping an IP address out on the Internet from the TiVo? If you can, then something's hinky.

I agree BubbleLamp. I think there must be a default gw somewhere. I have recently fixed bu changing the Turbonet driver (hex editor) to eth1 instead of eth0. I also changed the rc.sysinit to same.

You need to change the default gateway to 0.0.0.0.

No gateway no internet access!

Or you can block IP traffic from and to the tivo with a router as alphawolf suggested.

Or you can change the device name of the turbonet card in the turbo net driver from eth0 to net0.

EDIT

Damn Newlooper I was typing while you where posting!

Damn Newlooper I was typing while you where posting!

Sorry man.

Another curious thing, when the ethernet was connected the pppaddr file disappeared from the /var/tmp directory. I never chattr +i 'd the file. When I disabled the ethernet, it came back. Is it created by the TClient-lib module? Nevertheless, it is taken care of now and all is well in TiVoland.

Thanks for everyones help and advise.

i gotta ask , i thought that one of the big assets of having the turbonet card WAS access to the net? right? or is the main point a faster interface with the tivo than you get with terra term?
    sex , OR drugs , ORR rock n roll,,

Wink

i gotta ask , i thought that one of the big assets of having the turbonet card WAS access to the net? right? or is the main point a faster interface with the tivo than you get with terra term?

twistie,

Sure you can put it on the net, but you have to think about security of your TiVo buddy. Telnet on linux, or any OS, is not very secure. I just want to be able to extract video, run TiVoweb, and telnet quicker.

just my 2 cents

If you change the device name of the turbonet card in the turbo net driver from eth0 to net0. You can leave the default gateway and the TiVo won't call home using the ethernet adapter.
    But you should protect your tivo from the web with at least a NAT firewall.