Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: LOCK down the Flash!!!

Edit Off topic
    Last edited by Stephen; 03-26-2003 at 11:13 AM.

yep

off topic, mods please delete
    NO!!!!!!!! don't delete this thread. Lock it down.....Absolutely. Edit a couple of peoples posts if you need to, O.K. Please don't delete it. The original thread is very important to many of us.

Originally posted by groundhog
    NO!!!!!!!! don't delete this thread. Lock it down.....Absolutely. Edit a couple of peoples posts if you need to, O.K. Please don't delete it. The original thread is very important to many of us.
    I guess rc3105 ask to delete the posts he edited out, because the delete post option doesn't do anything and he can't delete the posts, only edit them.

Cool. Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents. I was once following a thread here that after 2 Days got totally deleted(after some heated arguments). I understood why, but I had wished that it could have just been locked down.

that we did but RC and I are back on target now

27 Place a SWITCH on this!

This thread is absolutly the most impossible thread to read from begining to end....
    But this my thread, and I wish to set the record correct.

If you do this hack, and upgrade, or do any mod that changes the "boot partition"
    from the current partition to the alernate partition, you can get into a situation
    I call the "Write Protected Reboot Loop", Basically, You "Locked Down the Prom",
    And that ALSO, locked down the data that determined WHAT partition your box will INITIALLY
    boot from.

See, This hack works GREAT!

But after a revision upgrade, and you have the prom LOCKED, to boot from the LAST LOCKED
    partition. It will attempt to "warm" boot that partition. This will cause your box to go
    into a reboot loop, ONLY if you do a software reboot, I.E.

Have the box crash, OR you actually do a reboot command on the command line, with this hack.

If you change the active partition, USE The many FAQ's and posts by others to add a switch
    to write enaible the chip, for ONE CYCLE!! Otherwise, you
    MAY end up in a reboot loop, untill a power cycle.
    (If you experience this, a power cy7cle ALWAYS brings you back, but if you do a "reboot" comand and it goes into a reboot cycle until reboot, your now seeing what I'm describing!

Thanks to all that gave out the plans for the simple switch to WRITE PROTECT hack.

Scan
    Last edited by scanman0; 10-01-2003 at 01:51 AM.