Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: LOCK down the Flash!!!

It has a conductive silver ink. You just draw the trace back in where you cut it. Use the tip of a needle for the size traces you would be working with.
    So what are you saying? Do you bleed some of the inK from the pen & dip the needle in it and use the needle as a paint brush?

If anyone else does the lift, or lift and wirewrap to 32 method, please post the results. I'd like to know if anyone else has a problem &/or if I have a chance at making this thing work. I'm definately going to need some help with the soldering. I was blown away with how small the traces & pin spacing was!

Re: NonCooked TiVo

Originally posted by scanman0

As far as sw countermeasures, I removed about 80% of my rc.sysinit. and deleted critical files that are used to flash. As far as sw countermeasures, I still don't feel as warm and fuzzy about it as KNOWING that the dark side can't make changes to my unit, so they would need to change the "DSS stream" that the tivo uses to get the data, AFTER a flash of all units, and then become incompatable to the old version. (Good luck!)
    Any change is better than no change, care to share your modified rc.sysinit and tell which files you removed?

Originally posted by BBQ-AllStar

I'd hate to fubar my only unit up like madd0c did...but I'm willing to take a chance since I hear version 3 is on it's way.
    How far away are we talkin? I haven't even seen any indication of 3.0 coming anytime soon. Anybody care to mention any press releases?
    Before PMing me: Iím not your personal tech support. If you have a question, ask in public so I don't have to repeat if somebody else asks. If you want images or slices, use emule. I will ignore all support PMs.

Sponsor a vegetarian! I have taken the pledge, how about you?

Re: Re: NonCooked TiVo

Originally posted by AlphaWolf
    How far away are we talkin? I haven't even seen any indication of 3.0 coming anytime soon. Anybody care to mention any press releases?
    (check out tivocommunity & do a search on 3.0)

I've just heard rumors that beta testing will begin by end of this month...I'm not sure if they will begin with SAs first, then DTivos like 2.5. However, the next release was to synchronize the code base between all the units (DirecTiVo, SA, Series 2) so maybe it will be released for all units.

By bro-in-law beta tested 2.5 on a SA and said it took a few weeks b4 they released the nonbeta version...It's all rumors though...

It seems illegal to me that TiVo could overwrite all your "hardwork" unless they knew for sure that you are stealing their service. Many people have several tivos in their house, and use one for testing and tinkering with.

I am also interested in what software countermeasures were taken by scanman0...lcreech gave us some ideas...

Thanks guys..

BBQ

Re: Re: Re: NonCooked TiVo

It seems illegal to me that TiVo could overwrite all your "hardwork" unless they knew for sure that you are stealing their service. Many people have several tivos in their house, and use one for testing and tinkering with.

BBQ
    dont think its illegal. Rude maybe but illegal no. I'm not even sure its rude though- they are pretty open that and employees have posted at tivocommunity that they wont intentially screw things up unless stealing is involved but they cant garuantee futeur compatiabiltiy with the hundreds of user performed hacks.

Hec if it was illegal Bill Gates would be in Jail (hmmm... that sounds nice....) for screwing thousands of commerical software coders evertime they upgrade windoze and screw up 3rd party compatibility. MS is even malicious about it they purposefully screw others (well i guess they do at least get slapped ont he wrist for that).

groundhog,

Hey groundhog,
    In reply to your question, the way i did it was to unscrew the pen and dip the needle into the ink directly. The pen tip and barrel connect together by a REVERSE thread (i.e. right=unscrew)

This is what I use to unlock AMD processors. I have never tried it in the DTIVO, but it should work fine.

Also, to whoever asked if I was sure it wa the right pin, YES, I AM SURE, no doubt whatsoever. No worky worky here.

I am wondering if groundhog may be right...I haven't looked at the part# for the flash chip in mine, and like I said...
    I AIN'T TOUCHING IT FOR A WHILE It's working, and I have a nice new SAT-T60 on the way as well...(heh, thats what you get when the wife is addicted to her TIVO...the one I screwed up )

well, good luck guys, I look forward to hearing from any other "success" stories,

BubbaJ has previously said that the way to test for protection of the eeprom is:
    getprom -Update <filename> should fail if the chip is protected, the best way of veifying the write is getprom -checksum

madd0c
    Yes, there are two paths you can go by, but in the long run, there's still time to change the road your on.
    Led Zeppelin

Maddoc, is there any chance that when you lifted the pin, that it killed part of the trace? If Icreech is right, and the trace continues after going under the pin, maybe that connection somehow lost continuity when you lifted the pin. I'm thinking about trying the pin cutting method, tomorrow afternoon. Maybe I'll be the guinnypig here and see if that method works any better. If you deside to try it your self, first, let me know the results.

P.S. With a little help, I was able to fix the trace with a tiny bead of solder.

I am wondering if groundhog may be right...
    Well.....I did a search based on the part number that I found on the Atmel & came up with the exact same Diagram & Pinout as posted here originally. Pin 31 is in the exact same location & is WE. It is in fact, the same chip.

Modded a Sony t60

So far so good

I lifted pin 31 and tied it to pin 32 and my t60 still boots normally.

At least the firmware is safe, if the software gets updated, I'm not worried thanks to extreme (and it's developers of course!).

Thanks for the info, now back to tv, I'm way behind.

Well, so far the score is:

Successful: 3 (scanman0, lcreech, & DarkWing)
    Unsuccesful: 2 (maddoc0 & groundhog)

Hmmm, I need better results b4 I screw with my only Tivo. BTW, what units were successful & unsuccessful. So far, Darwing did it on a Sony T60...what unit do you have scanman0? groundhog? maddoc0? lcreech?

TIA,

BBQ

<RANT>
    I hate to spread rumors, but word has it on AVS forum that tivo 3.0 will use an encrypted guide system, whereas the unit dials in, downloads a decryption key, then uses that key to receive the guide data. Standalone tivos will be downloading the guide data from the discovery channel somehow, and dtivos will (I guess) keep getting it from their current source.

Word also has it that the software is currently in beta, and will likely be deployed to the field at the end of this month.

It seems to me that weather you block updates or not, one will be inevitable and required in order to continue using your unit, unless of course you decide to modify the current 2.5 software to a certain extent. So the question is, how do we get the guide data on the units which we prefer not to dial in? Probably something that we can't do anything about until the time arrives? I myself think that there must be a way we can somehow have the tivo parse the normal DTV guide data into its own guide.
    </RANT>
    Last edited by AlphaWolf; 04-04-2002 at 11:28 AM.
    Before PMing me: Iím not your personal tech support. If you have a question, ask in public so I don't have to repeat if somebody else asks. If you want images or slices, use emule. I will ignore all support PMs.

Sponsor a vegetarian! I have taken the pledge, how about you?

Re: Re: Re: NonCooked TiVo

<...>
    I've just heard rumors that beta testing will begin by end of this month
    <...>
    <fact>
    Beta testing of 3.0 for SA is long over. They have been doing release candidates for the last month or so, so they are very close to the final code base. They do not mix the SA and DTiVo early access groups, so I wouldn't know where they are at for DTiVos.
    </fact>

<speculation>
    I have heard that 3.0 was to be the rollup code (Both SA and DTiVo on the same version), but now plans are that the DTiVo version will be out sometime closer to christmas. (Possibly in sync with the release of DTiVo Series 2 boxen?)
    </speculation>
    Last edited by IWantMyDTV; 04-04-2002 at 11:37 AM.

It's like living in the future...

Originally posted by AlphaWolf
    <RANT>
    I hate to spread rumors, but word has it on AVS forum that tivo 3.0 will use an encrypted guide system, whereas the unit dials in, downloads a decryption key, then uses that key to receive the guide data. Standalone tivos will be downloading the guide data from the discovery channel somehow, and dtivos will (I guess) keep getting it from their current source.
    </RANT>
    Nothing is changing there. This is how it has been on SAs since the first TiVo rolled off the assembly line. The only thing that will change for SAs is the fact that the bulk of the data will be delivered over The Discovery Channel through a form of VBI data, with dial in delivery as a fall-back option.

As for DTiVos, they would need to change the way that all the other non TiVo receivers get guide data before they could encrypt it.

IWantMyDTV
    Last edited by IWantMyDTV; 04-04-2002 at 11:42 AM.

...what unit do you have scanman0? groundhog? maddoc0? lcreech?
    I have a DSR6000R

Re: It's like living in the future...

Originally posted by IWantMyDTV

As for DTiVos, they would need to change the way that all the other non TiVo receivers get guide data before they could encrypt it.

IWantMyDTV
    I don't think this is correct. There are 2 forms of guide data the one used by other receivers and the one used by DTiVos and UTVs ( I think it's called the APG).