Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ty2dvd

Ty2dvd

It's possible to go from vsplit streams directly to DVD without transcoding.

While jdiner was doing all the hard work, I was looking into a way to get the streams onto DVD without transcoding. I didn't want to add another time-consuming step and most importantly, reduce the quality of the video. It can be done and rather easily with one major problem for some people.

All of this information I gathered from the forums at doom9.org where they were trying to put the multi-disk SVCD set of LOTR onto one DVD. I put my first movie, Delta Force One(it was the only one that would work at that point), onto a dvd-rw and forced myself to sit thru it expecting something bad to happen. It was perfect - sound, video, even aspect ratio.

The short version:

1. Use DVDPatcher to change the video header to 720x480.
    2. Import assests into Maestro, save your project and close Maestro.
    3. Use DVDPatcher to change the video header back to 480x480.
    4. Open Maestro and your recently saved project

The long and boring version:

What you'll need -

Good audio and video streams from vsplit:
    Just because they look good in a software player doesn't mean they'll be accepted by the DVD authoring app. With the recent advances in vsplit(thank you Jdiner!) this has become less of a problem.

DVDMaestro:
    The authoring app. This could be a problem for some. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be another alternative to this. I've tried quite a few and Maestro seems to be it. If anybody know differently....

DVDPatcher:
    Get it from: http://kickme.to/dvdpatcher
    This is what allows the non-DVD compliant video stream to be accepted by Maestro.

Soft Encode or other AC3 encoder(possibly optional):
    The NTSC DVD-Video spec does not allow mpeg audio as the primary stream and some authoring apps will not even import it. Luckily Maestro does allow it as a primary stream, although it gives a warning at compile time. There are two factors limiting the use of mpeg audio, your DVD player and the stream itself. Since mpeg audio as the primary stream isn't part of the DVD spec, some players just won't accept the DVD. Many will. Also if the mpeg audio stream varies in length too much from the video stream, you'll have synch issues. Converting the mpeg audio to AC3 audio solves all of these problems. Maestro has the ability with the "Create Sync Audio Track" function to ensure that the audio and video stays in sync. I converted one mpeg audio stream to AC3 that was five seconds longer than the video stream and it maintained perfect sync after 90 minutes.

How to do it:

Open your video file in DVDPatcher. In the Mpeg2 Info section you'll see it has a resolution of 480x480. This isn't good, but that's what DVDPatcher is for. Select the buttons in the Size section for 720x480. Also select 4:3 Aspect Ratio and First Header only. For Bitrate I've been using 15.0 Mbit lately, but I've tried them all. Haven't noticed any differences here. Select Patch Now and then Start. You'll see the changes. You can leave DVDPatcher open.

Start Maestro and import your video and audio assests. If you get an error message importing the video(usually "Temporal References in GOP#......") then you've got a bad video stream. If the video on the dtivo looks good and you extracted it properly then maybe jdiner would be interested in seeing it. Don't do anything else at this point except to save your project and close Maestro.

Use DVDPatcher to change the video back to 480x480. Open Maestro and your project that you just saved. That's it! Everything should work normally from this point on except the small preview window used for setting chapter points will be unusable and the right side of the RealView window will be garbage.

You should be able to get ~190 minutes of video onto a DVD depending, of course, on the program. Network programs seem to have an ABR of 3.5Mbps and movies anywhere from 2.2Mbps(Delta Force) to 3.5Mbps(Moulin Rouge).

If anybody has corrections or suggestions to improve the process or knows of a different authoring app that will work, lets hear it. Have Fun!
    Last edited by BD38; 03-30-2002 at 03:46 AM.

The link above doesn't seem to be any good.

Originally posted by lcreech
    The link above doesn't seem to be any good.
    Here's the latest version:
    Attached Files Attached Files

Any suggestions on were to find Maestro?

wolkowh Guest

Major props to BD38

Major props on this.
    I've been working in SpruceUp and trying the convert to trick thing, but the program would crash. However, if you:

1. Convert the header to 720
    2. Import it then *let it crash*
    3. Convert back to 480
    4. Reopen the m2v file

it works like a charm

You can find a demo of Spruce at:

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/vi...s/spruceup.cfm

SpruceUp workaround

wolkowh, nice job on finding a workaround for SpruceUp.

Maestro and the Cinemaster 2000 player needed for preview in Maestro are tough finds. This will allow a lot more people to go direct to DVD. I knew that if you created the .prv index files in Maestro first that you could use SpruceUp, but if you already had Maestro.....

wolkowh Guest

Updated How To

I have an updated How-To on the Sticky "Dtivo Video Extraction - Scritps and programs only" thread

This is sooo sooo major kool, by eliminating the transcode step, All you have to do now is extract, split, futz a little bit, and then author. I was able to make a 3 episode Babylon 5 DVD with multiple meuns and custom backgrounds for each title in little less than 45 min. Before this was a 3 overnight transcode session process.

This IS the Holy Grail!

Howard

wolkowh Guest

Editing Commercials

mrblack51 wrote on 03-31-2002 05:25 PM:
    where in this process do you edit out the commecials from your video? i would presume its before D3 but after D2, correct? if that is the case, any suggestions on a good video editor?
    Good question, not such a good answer.

You see, I am trying to avoid any muxing or modification of the video and audio streams so I am letting the entire stream be muxed by the authoring software

1. I am mostly doing pulls from premium channels so there are no commercials

2. Actually, I don't edit out the commercials, I just put chapter points at the place where you go into the commercial and one where you come out of commercial so you can just skip over the break. I guess I could modify the .ifo file so when the chapter ends it skips the commercial chapter and resumes at the fade in... hmmm let my try that tonite.

-----
    Tried it, OK, This is neat.

If you don't mind some dead space on your DVD, what you can do is:

1. Put a chapter point at the beginning of a commercial, then one at the end of the commercial

2. Compile the Disc to a folder

3. Go into IfoEdit (d/l at http://mpucoder.kewlhair.com/Derrow/)

4. Open up the .IFO File for the appropriate VOB

5. Choose the VTS_PGCITI --> VTS_PGC_1 menu

6. Find your "Commercial" chapters

7. Set the entry point sector = to the "last sector of this cell"

8. Save the IFO file

9. Burn your disc

Does anyone know IFO edit any better than I do who can tell me how to just set the one chapter to automatically skip to a subsequent chapter?

Howard
    Last edited by wolkowh; 03-31-2002 at 07:43 PM.

Authoring apps with DVDPatcher:

Will work -

Maestro
    SpruceUp

Won't work -

Scenarist
    ReelDVD

wolkowh Guest

Update on How to DVD

Well the resolution fake-out works on some DVD players but not all. My guess, is the one it works in is viewing the DVD as some kind of super-sized Video CD.

The key issue here is TIVO does not produce a Video Stream compatible with the *DVD Spec* It appears the only way to produce a perfect, in-spec DVD which can be read by all DVD players which can read a DVD/R is to process the actual picture data and reencode it to a different resolution. Changing the headers from 480x480 to720x480 produces horrible results, the entire stream must be reencoded. This can produces picture quality loss and takes a whole lot of processing time.

I have 1 player which works perfectly, and 1 which does not (and several which do not read DVD/Rs at all) Wednesday I will check and see if resolution fake-out works on my PS/2 and X-Box (Keeping fingers crossed). Anyhow, here is an update to my how-to document with alternates on the "Get stream into authoring program" step.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Re: Update on How to DVD

Originally posted by wolkowh
    Well the resolution fake-out works on some DVD players but not all. My guess, is the one it works in is viewing the DVD as some kind of super-sized Video CD.

I have 1 player which works perfectly, and 1 which does not
    What player does not work? What happens? Did you try with AC3 or PCM audio instead of mpeg audio?

wolkowh Guest

Re: Re: Update on How to DVD

Originally posted by BD38

What player does not work? What happens? Did you try with AC3 or PCM audio instead of mpeg audio?
    My Toshiba SD-P1000 does not properly display the video properly, it squishes it into 2/3rds of the screen, with the other 1/3rd doubling the video

Howard

Re: Update on How to DVD

Originally posted by wolkowh

My Toshiba SD-P1000 does not properly display the video properly, it squishes it into 2/3rds of the screen, with the other 1/3rd doubling the video

Howard
    You might have already tried this, but on some players selecting the "4:3 pan and scan" option in the setup has worked for this problem.
    I wonder how many players that normally play dvd-r's ok have a problem with the 480x480 video?
    I know that the PS2, Pioneer 440 and a very picky Panasonic DVD-LV75 work fine.

wolkowh Guest

Re: Re: Update on How to DVD

Originally posted by BD38

You might have already tried this, but on some players selecting the "4:3 pan and scan" option in the setup has worked for this problem.
    I wonder how many players that normally play dvd-r's ok have a problem with the 480x480 video?
    I know that the PS2, Pioneer 440 and a very picky Panasonic DVD-LV75 work fine.
    Nah, I tried everything - this is the same kindof problem I get in the preview window of Spruce, its def. a 480 vs 720 compatiablilty issue.

wolkowh Guest

What are we planning to put onto DVD?

I am just curious what people are planning to put onto DVDs - I think the real power of this process is not so much for movies - most are branded in the corner, have breaks, or are available in better resolution as commercial DVDs.

Because the 480x480 resolution matches broadcast quality, I have started to dive into archiving some of my favorite TV Shows (not availble on DVD) such as:
    Babylon 5 (currently running on SCI-FI)
    Hill Street Blues (Bravo)
    Jeremiah (Showtime)
    Sex and the City (HBO) I know its available, but a year later
    and Millenium (Not on the air, but I have a scrambled 120 hour Tivo with the whole run waiting for a descramble extract crack **argh**)

Long Term I'd love to put together:
    Seinfeld (1/2 hr epsides so 1 episode can fit onto a cd/r!)
    Pinky and the Brain
    Taxi
    Brady Bunch
    Odd Couple
    Honeymooners
    Lucy
    Cheers
    CSI
    Remmington Steele
    A-Team

I don't think its worth the effort for shows that are out or comming out on DVD like Trek, Simpsons, M*A*S*H, Twin Peaks, etc.

If anyone is persuing archiving the above shows? How about anyone planning a different project?