Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: removing log files

Question removing log files

i was just wondering if this is really necessary and if so is there a way to do it through the bash promt?if so what file works with it and the steps i need to do it,thnx

The search function works great...
    http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showth...&threadid=7911

IMO, this is the best way to solve the logs "problem"

LogsNull - written by superzap (is that right?) (zero's out log files, and prevents them from growing too large)

File(s) Needed: logsnull.zip

1) Download the latest version of logsNull

2) Unzip to a directory you can find.

3) Start TeraTerm and press enter for a Bash prompt.

4) Enter: cd /etc/rc.d

5) Enter: cp rc.sysinit rc.sysinit.bak (This is a critical file, better make a backup)

6) Enter: joe rc.sysinit

7) Search for the patch statement (ctrl-K then F, search for word PATH, and (I)gnore options)

8) Press up arrow before the "# Set the path" comment and insert the following line:
    runsyslog=false

9) Save and exit (ctrl-k then x)

10) Enter: cd /tvbin

11) Enter: ren fixsub.tcl fixsub.tcl.bak (Clears the way for the new file, and backs up the current one)

12) On Teraterm menu, click file, then Transfer, then zmodem, then send. Locate fixsub.tcl in your unzip directory, and click open.

13) On Teraterm menu, click file, then Transfer, then zmodem, then send. Locate logsNull in your unzip directory, and click open.

14) Enter: chmod +x fixsub.tcl

15) Enter: chmod +x logsNull

16) Now press the tivo button on your remote, then go to 'Messages and Setup' then 'Receiver and Phone Setup' then "Phone Connection" and finally "Make Daily Call Now"

You're done. If you type dir /var/log at your Bash prompt, you'll see that all files have the 'c' attribute and are null files. Also, the system will perform less logging, saving valuable cpu time).

Thanks, DarkWing.

I had to insert a puny 'rz' command for the Zmodem transfer. Other than that, flawless instructions and worked like a charm. Please consider adding them to the How-To thread so people can find them easily.

Strange, I've never used rz. Zmodem should start automatically.

Forgive me if this is a basic question but what and where are the log files. I always see them talked about and have setup the rmlogs to keep them from getting too big but I have never actrually read where to look for them.

I guess I am just curios more then anything else and I suppose I should check to see if rmlogs is working. Is there any advantage to using logsnull over rmlogs?

Thanks
    Hades

The logs are in /var/log and /var/persist. I like nullLogs because the files will never grow. Rmlogs deletes them often enough to keep it from being a problem. Two approachs that both work.

To answer the origial question, "is it nessesary" I have never done any edits after installing the origial V25. I been using the phillips 6000 with original 40 gig HD for about 4 months now. I've never had a problem yet. Maybe I'm lucky. Maybe someday something might happen. Maybe somebody has actually had a problem by not doing a logsnull or some other edit, but I have never seen it posted. Of coarse I have not seen every post.

Actually lots of people have posted about losing their hack directory after the Tivo decided to rebuild /var.

If you installed 25xtreme and don't use/don't do any hacks at all and let it dial home ie: no subtest then the tivo wouldn't have any reason for the logs to build up.

I've never had a phone line plugged in if thats what you mean. Maybe there is some big file building some where, I just havent seen any problem from it yet. Allow me to add, I am just a newbie to d/tivo stuff and was lucky to even do the hack successfully. I'm just not convinced yet that any further tweaks are nessesary till something goes wrong. You guys can use me as a guinnie pig tester to report how long a system will work without edits. I'm so inept I'm afraid to fix something thats not broke. I didn'i mean to sound like I knew nothing had to be done or that I disagreed with the experts something should be done. I'm just reporting to the guy who started the thread that I didn't and it still works.
    Last edited by loopy40; 04-14-2002 at 01:00 AM.

Bubble. excuse me for being so dumb, but what does " losing their hack directory" do? Is that something you have to go in and look for? I only know what I see in the operation of my D/tivo. Is there a symptom of this in watching tv?

The startup file on the Tivo (rc.sysinit) does a check to see how much disk space is used on /var. If it deems it too full, it takes the draconian step of deleting and recreating it. Since the hack directory is located below /var, it too gets swept away, along with many of the goodies we use to do different things on the box.

28 ultimate in log management...

view logs, delete logs, null logs, all from the web.

just copy to your tivoweb modules subdirectory, and restart tivoweb...

/var/hack gets deleted?

This may seem like a stupid question, but if there is a chance that /var will get rebuilt then why not put the hack files someplace else, like /hack?

If i am a paying subscriber and have loaded network drivers and extract software on my Tivo, do I have anything to fear about what they (tivo) might see in my logs?

Graham