Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: DTivo extraction, splitting, and muxing

danger DTivo extraction, splitting, and muxing

This thread is a continuation of the second DTivo extraction thread.

The extraction from the DTivo seems to have been perfected other than having a really good tool specifically aimed at the Dtivo rather than SA for simple extraction to a Windows box.

Splitting with perfect sync looks to have also been perfected.

Now on to editors, Dolby Digital, and one step muxing!

If you contributed any programs, scripts, or howto's in the previos thread and they are not in the DTivo extraction, scripts, and how-to's only sticky, please put them there.

Please restrict all conversation to the task at hand, any networking or program usage and setup questions should directed to a new thread.

The previous 2 threads can be found here:

thread 1: http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showt...=&threadid=6890

thread 2:
    http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...&threadid=8091
    Information wants to be free....

Can somebody out there who is good with C have a look at mfs_streams and fix it to work with 2.5? I know hardly any C, thus I can't fix it myself.
    Before PMing me: Iím not your personal tech support. If you have a question, ask in public so I don't have to repeat if somebody else asks. If you want images or slices, use emule. I will ignore all support PMs.

Sponsor a vegetarian! I have taken the pledge, how about you?

I thought that the mfs_stream that jdiner put out worked fine with 2.5, bot the regular and pri 1 versions. They should also be command line compatible with extractstream. What problem are you seeing and what file are you using?

mfs_streams, not stream Its an easy way for those extracting from the hard drive to identify the video streams
    Before PMing me: Iím not your personal tech support. If you have a question, ask in public so I don't have to repeat if somebody else asks. If you want images or slices, use emule. I will ignore all support PMs.

Sponsor a vegetarian! I have taken the pledge, how about you?

Ohhhhh..... I see..... =]

One quick note. KRaveN mentioned that the splitting was pretty close to perfect. This is true. But not true at the same time. I have with EdPuffMonsters help found 2 more very subtle very small bugs that crop up in roughly 1 of about 150 TyStreams. So I have version #11 in the works. But due to the recent success everyone else has been seeing , I have decided to switch to a beta release.

So what to expect in Beta #1:

- Better handling at the very start. Sometime things seem off to begin with.

- Correct handling of now more common "Press thumbs up to record" records. They have messed up a few streams I have.

- Integrated SA Tivo mode. Not of much interest to many here but I have it integrated again and it is capable of producing perfectly sync'ed streams just like from the DTivo.

- Correct handling of yet another stream oddity... Once again only seems to happen on some of the most obscure streams.

I am just trying to find the time to find/fix one more very strange thing before making the release.

One more thing, for those that are running perfectly now, nothing will change. For those that have had 1 out of ## streams be bad this might help. If not let me know and I can work on a fix for your problems as well. We are at way over 99% success but it would be nice to fix these last few issues and hit 100%.

--jdiner

Thumbs up

jdiner:

i'm one of the standalone users (Sony SVR-2000, TiVo 2.5.1) who anxiously awaits beta version 1. eliminating the synch problems from my extracted streams would make me a verrrrry happy TiVo camper.

thanks for all your work on this!!

keith721

Alright I have alpa #11 in the hands of a few beta testers. (Finally... And It all looks good on my test clips. I fixed a couple of sad strange little bugs and things are moving right along.

The SATivo code is in place and putting it in is what helped me track down the latest bug.

Also the initial audio sync is now even better than ever. I will explain more in the initial release notes. But now you should never be off my more than 12ms on a DTivo LII audio clip. And no more than 16ms on a DD clip.

--jdiner

Originally posted by keith721
    jdiner:

i'm one of the standalone users (Sony SVR-2000, TiVo 2.5.1) who anxiously awaits beta version 1. eliminating the synch problems from my extracted streams would make me a verrrrry happy TiVo camper.

thanks for all your work on this!!

keith721
    doesn't 2.5.1 encrypt the video? Or, is that just on the DTiVo's? Or, does the same descramble.o work on the SA's?
    -- digitalAir

1 DSR6000R (35 hour) currently running Xtreme 3.1 and tivonet

Originally posted by jdiner
    Alright I have alpa #11 in the hands of a few beta testers. (Finally... --jdiner
    ALPHA!!!???

I thought you were going Beta this time...

Slacker!

JDiner... the only SW Engineer that release GA code as alpha... You're standards are too high... you'll never make it in this biz... hehe
    -- digitalAir

Originally posted by digitalAir

doesn't 2.5.1 encrypt the video? Or, is that just on the DTiVo's? Or, does the same descramble.o work on the SA's?
    So far, there is encryption only on the dtivos. No need for the descramble module for the sa's.

As far as sync on a sa stream, I haven't had a problem w/sync since Tyconvert came out.

Last edited by Fugg; 04-13-2002 at 01:25 AM.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, because this is all hearsay to me - I don't have any practical way to extract video right now, BUT...

Unless I'm mistaken, the mpeg2 stream that gets extracted is 480x480, and then the header is changed to 720x480 so we can put it on a DVD?

Can anyone give me a ballpark idea of the bitrate on some of these recordings?
    Has anyone tried directly recording the MPEG2 stream to a CD as an SVCD? A normal 80 minute CD should be able to hold approximately 800 megs of data when burned as an SVCD, you get some space back since this format has no error correction.

Originally posted by digitalAir

ALPHA!!!???

I thought you were going Beta this time...

Slacker!
    It will be Beta #1 by the time it comes out here. I passed it onto 3 primary testers while I work on the last issue on my own plate. Basically if things work right then Alpha #11 == Beta #1.

JDiner... the only SW Engineer that release GA code as alpha... You're standards are too high... you'll never make it in this biz... hehe
    Hehehe. Ok. So I like things to be right. What can I say... But I don't get the "GA code" reference? What does GA standard for?

Oh and nothing on my SA Tivo is encrypted. Never had a problem with that. The first I ever even heard of it was here on the DTivo forums when I got involved with extraction. Hard to believe it has been a couple of months now. But things have gone pretty well all in all.

--jdiner

GA == "General Availability"

our release process looks something like this...

1. dev test
    2. debug
    3. alpha
    4. beta
    5. gold media (the physical media that product is duplicated from)
    6. GA - the new relese is available to all... (release product)
    -- digitalAir

wolkowh Guest

Here's the Deal on DVD

Originally posted by Kythorn
    Please correct me if I'm wrong, because this is all hearsay to me - I don't have any practical way to extract video right now, BUT...

Unless I'm mistaken, the mpeg2 stream that gets extracted is 480x480, and then the header is changed to 720x480 so we can put it on a DVD?

Can anyone give me a ballpark idea of the bitrate on some of these recordings?
    Has anyone tried directly recording the MPEG2 stream to a CD as an SVCD? A normal 80 minute CD should be able to hold approximately 800 megs of data when burned as an SVCD, you get some space back since this format has no error correction.
    On DVD you have 2 paths to take:
    1. You can record the 480x480 stream as is or
    2. Transcode to 720x480

Not all DVD players work properly with 480x480 video, but many do. Now, to get SpruceUp, Maestro, DVDIt! and other DVD Authoring software to allow you to import the video stream you have to do the following:
    a. Patch the resolution to 720x480
    b. Import the stream into your authoring application
    c. Repatch back to 480x480 before burning

Howard