Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: DTivo extraction, splitting, and muxing

Whats the audio format on a dtivo anyway? I think the SA's used to have 32khz audio, but since this is a direct copy of the DSS stream... what sampling and kbit rate is it? (Just the MPEG Layer II stuff, not DD)

*EDIT*

Also, could someone please give me a ballpark guesstimate on the combined extracted file size for 1 hour of video and audio?

PPS - Do locals get substantially lower bandwidth than the other channels since the spot beam switchover, or is that just me? If so, how much less space do they take up?
    Last edited by Kythorn; 04-12-2002 at 06:40 PM.

"Whats the audio format on a dtivo anyway?"

48khz, 160bps

As dtv uses variable rate compression, and has dynamic control of the amount of bandwidth used for any channel at any time, the amount of bandwidth used can vary wildly.

I haven't ripped anything from ppv or the movie channels, it's mostly been network or basic cable channels.

The least I have seen was an episiode of south park (cartoon)- 465meg for 30min, or just over 2mbps.

The most I have seen was an epsiode of The Osbourne's - 1008meg for 30min, or just under 4.5mbps.

The Orlando, Fl locals seem to be around 3 to 3.5mbps on average.

I have pulled about 20 hours of stuff so far. I'll almost bet you that ppv and the movie channels would be higher. Maybe someone will post on those.

wolkowh Guest

Lightbulb Bitrates

I've seen no rhyme or reason to bitrates:
    AMC - Destry Rides Again - 90 Min - 3.6 Gig
    Encore - Top Gun - 130 min - 2.0 Gig
    Local Channel 11 Seinfeld - 30 min - 800 meg
    TV Land - Taxi & Brady Bunch - 30 min - 500 meg
    Oxygen - Xena - 1 hr - 1.3 -> 1.6 gig
    Sci Fi - Babylon 5 - 1 hr - 1.2 gig
    Playboy - Naughty Amatuer Home Videos - 1 hr - 1.7 gig
    PPV - Legally Blonde - 1 1/2 hr - 3.2 gig

Movies run 1.5 to 3.6 gig per 2 hours

Howard

Re: Bitrates

Originally posted by wolkowh
    I've seen no rhyme or reason to bitrates:
    AMC - Destry Rides Again - 90 Min - 3.6 Gig
    Encore - Top Gun - 130 min - 2.0 Gig
    Local Channel 11 Seinfeld - 30 min - 800 meg
    TV Land - Taxi & Brady Bunch - 30 min - 500 meg
    Oxygen - Xena - 1 hr - 1.3 -> 1.6 gig
    Sci Fi - Babylon 5 - 1 hr - 1.2 gig
    Playboy - Naughty Amatuer Home Videos - 1 hr - 1.7 gig
    PPV - Legally Blonde - 1 1/2 hr - 3.2 gig

Movies run 1.5 to 3.6 gig per 2 hours

Howard
    you never will see a pattern... when using VBR, MPEG, whether it be mpeg2 video or MP3 audio, is set for a specific "QUALITY" rating, not size rating.

What this means, in simple terms (the only ones I can comprehend ) is that the mpeg encoder is told you can only lose X% of the original signal during encoding.
    If the encoder can drop the bitrate (and in conjunction, the size) to 50% of the original signal, but still maintain X% of the original signal, then you're ok...

so the mbps will vary (and can do so dramatically) based on the original signal -- how much detail there is, how much action there is, etc.
    -- digitalAir

1 DSR6000R (35 hour) currently running Xtreme 3.1 and tivonet

Well

things sure got interesting after being away for a week or two.

GEEZE! Someone gonna release a prog that'll do the extraction for us?

ACES!

Thats fantastic.. Sign me up as a tester or anything else.
    I have a Dtivonet card coming from 9th tee, and after setting up tivoweb, i won't have any time to spare..

(I'm married, and running out of time)

Thanks for the great work guys.

I assume I will have to start from scratch and run the noscramble right? Losing all my previous data?

Can I leave the DTivo alone, run noscramble and then just extract the "new" stuff? Or will running noscrambled screwup the old recordings?
    By screw up I mean unreadable on the Dtivo side.. not extraction.

Also, someone should definately post a step by step for us that have time issues.
    A Toy! A New Toy! Thank the Lord UPS brought a New TOY!

Ok guys, I think I got it figured out.

You can edit dtivo (and sa) vids without messing up the sync by loading windvd3 on your system. It's got to have something to do with the codec, but Tmpgenc 2.02.31.119's merge and cut under mpeg tools loves it.

I posted this in the other thread, but now I've had a chance to try it on a completely different system, and it still works.

I loaded a freshly formatted drive in an amd 1gig machine w/256 ram, s3 onboard video and audio, with win98se, directx8.1, Tmpgenc 2.02.31.119, and windvd3.0 trial.

I've done nothing special to it at all and I get synced edits consistently.

The only "problem" I've had was when I use the slider to move thru the vid, sometimes it takes it a few seconds to "catchup" to the point where the displayed frame is. The time display on the lower left hand of the screen will run, but the display will be frozen on the frame you dropped the slider on, until it catches up, then it plays normally. I think the trick is to "play into" your edit point, hit pause, then hit the marker. Works for me!

Is this a trick that the Underwear Gnomes are playing on me, or does this work for anyone else?

If this is old news and I'm being redundant, let me know and I'll delete this puppy and shut up.

btw, I've got links, if anyone needs them...
    Last edited by Fugg; 04-13-2002 at 04:28 PM.

Originally posted by Fugg
    Ok guys, I think I got it figured out.
    8< snip >8
    The only "problem" I've had was when I use the slider to move thru the vid, sometimes it takes it a few seconds to "catchup" to the point where the displayed frame is.
    I noticed this, too, when I had the Elecard player installed. Removed it, and TMPGEnc's Source Range function sped up considerably. Just a datapoinnt, here.
    btw, I've got links, if anyone needs them...
    Oh, you mean www.intervideo.com/jsp/WinDVD_Download.jsp - Thanks. 9836KB, 1:12:00 to download. $49 to buy. I'm hoping there's a couple of files inside that get copied c:\windows\system\*.ax and subsequently registered - They're the ones that may TMPGEnc happy. I think. We'll see.

John
    Last edited by artships; 04-13-2002 at 07:45 PM.

Originally posted by artships

Yes, please!

John
    These are the "legal" links....

http://www.tmpgenc.net/e_main.html

The only version on their site anymore is version 2.53. It will probably work. If not, let me know.

http://www.intervideo.com/

Windvd3.0. The trial version is on their download page. Again, if you have problems, let me know.

Re: Re: Bitrates

Originally posted by digitalAir
    when using VBR, MPEG, whether it be mpeg2 video or MP3 audio, is set for a specific "QUALITY" rating, not size rating.
    That's not exactly true in this case, it's a bit more complicated. Channels/shows ARE assigned a target bitrate in addition to a quality level. However, compression levels for all the channels on a given transponder are balanced by a statistical multiplexer. So all the channels on a particular transponder are balanced to always use the full bandwidth available - 23MBps per transponder. Therefore bandwidth will vary not only by the target bitrate, but also by the compressability of that particular video segment *and* will be affected by all the other channels on that transponder. Check out this link if you're interested in the details:

http://www.hei.ca/mpeg2f.html

But your point was certinly correct -- there's not a pre-determined amount of bandwidth given to any particular channel or show...

Though you could probably gather some historical stats to come up with a fair guess for one particular show on one particular channel. For example, every showing of Howard Stern on E is very close to 1.5GB.

Question Ulead DVD Movie Factory

Digging through the Ulead program directories, there's a directory named "Video Toolbox" that includes a program named "EZstudio.exe". It performs MPEG file cuts and merges, and exports the edited results to the DVD Movie Factory program. I paid $49 for the program locally, so I'm not sure if this tool is included in the free trial download.

While not nearly as flexible as TMPGenc, it's certainly easier to use. Just wondering if anyone else had seen or worked with this one, yet? Any comments, pro or con?

keith721

Status Update:

Alright. I know it has been awhile since I started Discussing Alpha#11/Beta1. But since people are doing so well with Alpha #10 I felt it bought me some time to slow down and get some more things done truly right. I have been working over some of the remaining problem clips that I have gotten from people. And found some interresting things.

I have a few more subtle bug fixes in place with just a few more to go. Once again everything that is not a bad clip, i.e. missing chunks of data, now play perfectly out of Vsplit11.

For those that are curious DD is coming along well..

Also I noticed one other thing. For the few that keep contacting me about the SA feature set, or for those that have both. I was getting tons of bad test clips. not really bad just not clean like the DTivo ones. So I put mfs_streams with the pri1 code onto my SA Tivo. I get much much better results from that. So for those using/trying to use ExtractStream on that box... don't. I managed to get a 4 month old clip off and converted with 100% sync when nothing else has even come close.

--jdiner

Thanks for the update, jdiner!

For those who are interested, I've been converting shows to svcd doing the following:

converting a tmpgenc'd muxed .mpg to huffyuv lossless using dvd2avi. Then getting rid of the commercials, putting in nice fades, etc, using afterfx. Then converting back to svcd compliant mpeg using the cinemaster mpeg codec. Of course there is more loss with re-encoding, but i find this to be a much easier method than cutting with tmpg. AND I get a 100% valid mpeg at the end. I'm going to buy a pioneer 104 sometime soon, so I might not like the results going to dvd.

gosquad

jdiner's work

I'm really looking forward to testing the vsplit program for myself.

25xtreme and noscramble and other hacks - already done
    TurboNet - ordered
    35 pieces of DVD-R/DVD-RW media - ordered
    120GB WD 7200rpm drive - ordered

Did I mention that I'm looking forward to more DTivo stuff?

I can't remember the last time I had this much fun with a single gadget! Great work, guys. This is exciting stuff.
    Last edited by rd001; 07-19-2002 at 07:40 PM.

Problems with vsplit10

Does anyone have the alpha version of vsplit11? I have a copy of
    clips that doesn't decode audio with mfs_streams and vsplit10, and I would like to try version 11 of vsplit.

thanks....

It could dolby digital, I dont think jdiner added any dd support to vsplit10.

Also, I'm not trying to be rude, but its bad form to ask for leaked freeware betas, ask the man himself if you can be a tester.
    Before PMing me: Iím not your personal tech support. If you have a question, ask in public so I don't have to repeat if somebody else asks. If you want images or slices, use emule. I will ignore all support PMs.

Sponsor a vegetarian! I have taken the pledge, how about you?