Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Caller-id program for DirecTivo

Originally posted by nsysblh
    It works now! (Mostly)

If you are using the modem Do the following:

TiVo Central -> Messages & Setup -> Receiver & Phone Setup -> Phone Connection -> Change Dialing Options -> Set 'Phone Avail.' Detection: On

Then run as normal: elseed &

[Someone using the modem should verify this works...
    # elseed -D -i "AT-STE?"
    and see that it is not 0...]

If you have tivonet/turbonet/ppp, do the following:

# elseed -i "AT-STE=1;+VCID=1" &

Bottom Line: You have to turn 'Line in Use' on for it to work.

NOW: Why won't it display over the menus? All I get is garbage when the menus are up...

Brandon
    Wow! Good work nsysblh! I have been trying to find a good reference manual for the caller-id stuff. So you have two Phillips DSR6K's? I wonder if turning on the 'Line in use' would work for the other people on this forum with Hughes boxes that it wasn't working on. It might even work with people running StandAlones.

Please people with SA's and Hughes, try what nsysblh suggests and post your results here.

Originally posted by nsysblh
    It works now! (Mostly)

If you are using the modem Do the following:

TiVo Central -> Messages & Setup -> Receiver & Phone Setup -> Phone Connection -> Change Dialing Options -> Set 'Phone Avail.' Detection: On

Then run as normal: elseed &

[Someone using the modem should verify this works...
    # elseed -D -i "AT-STE?"
    and see that it is not 0...]

If you have tivonet/turbonet/ppp, do the following:

# elseed -i "AT-STE=1;+VCID=1" &

Bottom Line: You have to turn 'Line in Use' on for it to work.

NOW: Why won't it display over the menus? All I get is garbage when the menus are up...

Brandon
    Oh yeah, the OSD libraries I am using only works if you are watching live tv or a recorded show. It just shows garbage over the Tivo menus. I'm not really sure why this is as I really don't even know how the OSD stuff works, that's embeem's code.

Re: ok hears the debug log

Originally posted by chainsawbob
    Initializing modem...
    DEBUG: AT+VCID=1
    DEBUG: OK
    Modem: OK
    Tivo's making a call, won't step on his toes
    Restarting...
    Initializing modem...

I wasnt home to see if the name came up on the screen.
    (this was from my t60)
    OK well the good news is that your T60 is properly displaying the caller's name, it is just elseed that isn't "grabbing" the name properly. I will look into a fix for this when I get a chance to. I'm going on vacation tomorrow through Monday, though, so it might be a while.

Re: ok hears the debug log

Initializing modem...
    Tivo's making a call, won't step on his toes
    Restarting...
    Initializing modem...
    DEBUG:
    DEBUG: RING
    Modem: RING
    [...]

I wasnt home to see if the name came up on the screen.
    (this was from my t60)
    Well I looked into it and it was a pretty easy fix (I think). Note that I haven't tested this version yet because I am not at home! I just released version 0.3.2 which should fix your problem with the name not showing up.

The problem was that the code assumed that when it saw "NMBR = ..." that it was done "grabbing" the caller-id info. On my DSR6000, NAME= comes before NMBR= (and was evidently the case with the modem that the guy used who wrote elcid, the code that I borrowed from). It seems like on your T60 that it is the opposite. Let me know if it works now.

Re: CID

Originally posted by Dragon
    re: CID

I'am getting phone number but no name.

Is anyone else having this problem,i have Phillips DSR 6000 running ext ver 2.5 ??

Thank You greggreg for your work !!
    Check out version 0.3.2 and see if this fixes your problem.

Re: Re: RE: ok hears the debug log

im using the command

elseed -D|cat>debug.log &

this comand pipes the stdout to a file called debug.log
    in the same dir as elseed.

i cant get the name to show up
    but the number is displayed just fine
    about 2/3 down on the left side of the
    screen and only after about 3 or 4 rings

You don't need the |cat part. You can just do

elseed -D > debug.log &

Interesting that it takes 3-4 rings, on my Phillips DSR6K it shows up at the same time as the second ring. When you try 0.3.2 let me know if it shows up any sooner.

I also have a Sony T-60. The T-60 uses a Rockwell Chipset that does have caller ID, but it really should be initialized with a 'AT+FCLASS=8;+VCID=1' to put the modem in the proper mode to ALWAYS display the CID info.

I also am having the same trouble where Elseed is not picking up the name field at the proper time. I just get number only display.

Fireball

Re: Modem init string

Does it have any significance whether the modem init string is in single or double quotes?

Eugene

Re: Re: Modem init string

Originally posted by ek0
    Does it have any significance whether the modem init string is in single or double quotes?

Eugene
    Not unless you are putting things in the init string that you want to escape from the shell. So I would put them in single quotes unless you know what you are doing.

Originally posted by fireball
    I also have a Sony T-60. The T-60 uses a Rockwell Chipset that does have caller ID, but it really should be initialized with a 'AT+FCLASS=8;+VCID=1' to put the modem in the proper mode to ALWAYS display the CID info.

I also am having the same trouble where Elseed is not picking up the name field at the proper time. I just get number only display.

Fireball
    Hmm that is good information. We should test elseed with various init strings (+FCLASS=8, +VCID=1, -STE=1) and their combos to get the best init string that will

1) Not disrupt the tivo daily call.
    2) Not disrupt the DirecTV call (hard to test)
    3) Reliably get caller-id info on all modem types in DTivos.

I will do some testing tomorrow when I get a chance.

Init string

Here is what I got when I used AT+FCLASS=8;+VCID=1 init string:

bash-2.02# ./elseed -D -i 'AT+FCLASS=8;+VCID=1'
    Initializing modem...
    DEBUG: AT+FCLASS=8;+VCID=1
    DEBUG: R
    DEBUG:
    DEBUG:
    DEBUG: NO CABBIEB
    DEBUG:
    DEBUG:
    DEBUG: NO CABBIEB

Obviously, nothing is displayed on the TV screen.

Greggregg, would it be possible to write a debugging version of elseed that would send all the debug output to the TV screen via OSD? This way I could at least make sure the OSD functionality is working on my DTIVO.

Thanks

Eugene

An alternative method

Ok, I cannot get the internal TiVo modems to work reliably. They both drop about 1 in 5 calls. I have tried most everything, and they just won't do it.

Here is what I have done, and it works as near as I can tell, 100% of the time (or at least as much as the other CID boxen I have...which is very close to 100%)

1) Get an old modem that appears to work fine for caller ID. I have a USR V.everything that is left over from the days of dial-up. I configured it more or less as follows:

a] set dip switch 1 to ignore DTR
    b] AT&F0&D0&B1#CID=1&W (at 9600 baud)

This saves the reset profile to let the modem just send the Caller ID info at 9600 baud with no initialization required. Just turn it on and hook it to the phone line from this point on.

2) Wire a db25 Male, and as many 1/8" Stereo plugs as needed as follows:

DB25 Headphone Plug
    ------ ----------------------
    pin 3 ---> Ring (Middle)
    pin 7 ---> Ground (Outside)

Notice that the tip of the jack is unconnected. Since it is the TxD wire, it should go to pin 2 to send the init strings. However, this is ok, as the modem needs no setup. This means there is no way the TiVo can do anything except collect information from the modem...Neat, eh?

3) Make a device for cua3:

mknod /dev/cua3 c 5 67

4) Hook it all up, and run elseed as follows:

nicepri fifo 1 elseed -d /dev/cua3 > /dev/null &

That is all there is to it. Because the modem is generating RS232 signals, this one setup can probably run a good many TiVo's.

The only issue is that you loose the serial port. However, it isn't needed as long as the network is up. And this solves everyone's dial out issues...since TxD isn't even wired, it can't dial out. You just have to have an external modem that isn't being used elsewhere.

There should probably be a check in the code to see if the default device is not being used, and to skip the check for TiVo dialing out. If /dev/cua1 is not the device opened, there is no need to back off if the TiVo dials out. Maybe just a switch to disable checking...

Brandon

Could one of you out there *please* post a screen shot of this thing in action?

Thank you.

CID No Name

greggreg:

Cid Ver 0.3.2 is working Great !!!

Name and number showing now.

Thanks again for all your work.
    Last edited by Dragon; 04-24-2002 at 02:53 PM.

no on screen display

Have T60,
    ran with debug option and everything is coming back fine, Name and Number, but nothing is displayed on the tv, Live or Recorded, any suggestions?

running latest elseed...