Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 544x480, etc: changing recording resolution

Thanks to mpauley and jdiner, I've been inspired to get TivoNet and TivoWeb working, in order to start recording programs at DVD-compatible resolutions for eventual burn-to-standard-DVD. Last night I changed my CATVBasic settings, and at first glance a couple of test recordings look promising (though I haven't done the mpegprop thing on them yet). I have an observation and a question:

1. After changing the quality settings of Basic mode, I note that under System Info I now see Best hours/capacity shown. I guess this is to be expected but...after the recording (which was set to Basic remember) is complete, the Tivo reports it was recorded at Best quality, not Basic.

I guess this is going to inspire me to not use Basic for this highest quality DVD-compatible setting, cuz it will surely be confusing i.e. "which Bests were recorded at Best and which were recorded at Basic/DVD" but wonder if anyone has observations or explanations of this oddity.

2. What are the "Alt Bitrate" settings about? Do we duplicate the settings there because we don't know and we're just playing it safe?

I'm going to change Basic back the way it was, then edit Best instead for 720x480, especially as I may be watching something live that I want to record then burn to DVD. Has anyone done this or see any issue with it?

It seems that MPEGPROP does not accurately display resolution settings? I changed to 720x480, but MPEGPROP still shows 480x480 for a test file, while another app I have (Canopus MediaCruise) shows the file is indeed 720x480.

Any other utilities people know about? How about one that allows editing of Info and Comment fields in mpeg files?

Originally posted by Karpa
    Will this work only with a SA, or will it work with a Dtivo as well?

Karpa
    The DTivo records the MPEG2 straight off the satellite, so you can't change the size/quality settings at all since you aren't doing the encoding, DirecTV is.

Has anyone got this working in the UK? I cant seem to record at any resolution other than 480x576

Jim

Originally posted by artships
    My Sony SA is more like Chris', where "0" is 480x480. At least, in DBSBasicResolution, it is. Is "0" different in CATVBasicResolution?

As it turns out, I CAN adjust the resolution to 720x480, but only for off-air antenna, not dish. So, "Nero Wolfe" will still need encoding, but perhaps "Enterprise" and "Andromeda" won't.

John

Has anyone tried changing the aspect ration to 16:9 on a Directivo and seen what the resolutoin is?

If you have post reply, what the heck I'll try it when I get home.

Later...

704 x 480

I have a standalone with cable. Has anybody besides Mpauley been able to get a 720 x 480 resolution? My settings appear to be the same as CHRIS with 0 being 352 x 480. I am running v 3.0. Is that the problem?

Re: 704 x 480

Originally posted by finster869
    I have a standalone with cable. Has anybody besides Mpauley been able to get a 720 x 480 resolution? My settings appear to be the same as CHRIS with 0 being 352 x 480. I am running v 3.0. Is that the problem?
    My Philips SA w/v3.0 accepts 0 as 720x480. What kind of Tivo do you have?

Just me??

finster-

Im the only one to get this to work? I posted a small tyStream on my site for download so people can see Im not crazy.... well I am, but....

... oh anyways, goto http://empee.hopto.org and click downloads on the left. From there you'll see the TiVo stuff. It is a 10MB file.

MP

Re: 704 x 480

Originally posted by finster869

My settings are the same as Chris, EXCEPT...
    I reset my "medium" to look just like "best", then set the res to "0". So far, trying to record "Enterprise" at "medium" I get... yucky "medium", whilst recording NBC's "Today" show I get... 720x480! Of the two shows, "Today" is on a network with a special arrangemnet with TiVo, and possibly does broadcast a 720x480 signal.

John,
    Perplexed owner of a Sony SA, recording from off-air antenna for the locals and dish/echostar for the good stuff.

Lasar......I have a Sony running 3.0. Do you really think it could make a difference having a Phillips rather than a Sony?

MPauley.....what are you running?

Lasar and MPauley.....do all of your shows record 740 x 480? See Artships post regarding getting 740 x 480 on NBC but not other channels.

Thanks for posting the tystream......I will download it and check it tonight.

I used MPEGPROP to check the resolution. I'm wondering if that program has a bug or something. Is there any other software I can use to check the resolution very quickly?

I have a Philips running 3.0 now. All shows I record on my "Basic Quality" is at this size. This includes: ABC, NBC, HBO, MTV.... MPEGPROP has always been right when I've used it.

Maybe its a Philips thing? Anyone else wanna try?

MP

I don't know anything about the Sony boxes, but even if they were the same basic hardware, I suppose it is possible (even likely?) that the mfr might make some tweaks to the software to make it "their own". Also, note the Japanese tend to be very conservative so maybe they changed the resolution parameters to match up better w/real world signals. Pure speculation on my part...

Okay, I'm going to try and recap what I've heard thus far:

No, you cannot change resolution for DTiVo units.

It sounds like setting the resolution to 0 for CATV and Antenna sources gives 720x480 but for Satellite sources, it gives 352x480.

Does this sound right? Has anyone tried source resolution >4?

Resolution #4

Resolution #4 on a standalone under 3.0 is the same resolution as "BEST" quality, which is 544 x 480.

The standalone cable settings resolutions are:

0 = 720 x 480

1 = 352 x 480

2= 480 x 480

3 ?????

4 = 544 x 480

Check out the thread entitled "SVCD the "quick and dirty" method" for instructions on making SVCD's without decoding. Essentially, if you use a resolution of 480 x 480 and a bit rate of 2100000 and maxbit rate of 25280000 you can fit about 45 minutes on 1 cd without decoding. The quality certainly isn't DVD quality, but it is damn good. You can use a bitrate calculator to figure out the exact best settings for calculating how many minutes you wish to fit on a cd. The goal is to avoid having to reencode.

Also, if you check out vcdhelp.com, you will see that there is another format called CVD (this is not a typo, I am not referring to VCD) which works on all SVCD systems. It utilizes a resolution of 352 x 480 and an average bitrate of 2000 or under, max staying at 2528. That gets you a decent quality also. This option is better for sporting events, where there is more high action.