Thread: Transfer from Tivo to PC problem

Transfer from Tivo to PC problem

Hi,

I'm new to the whole Linux thing (not so much to hacking), but in any event, I'm trying to transfer a file from my DSR6000 to my PC drive and I'm doing the following:

bash-2.02# sz <filename>

Some funky characters come up, and then I do a File->Transfer->ZModem->Receive. It then proceeds to transfer the file to my hard drive, but it keeps quitting on me. And it seems to happen at different times in the transfer. It just all of a sudden stops receiving bytes. The furthest it ever went was 36%. Anyone ever experience this?

What baud rate are you running at? If you're up to 115,000, try dropping it down to 56K or even lower. Remember to change the speed on the Tivo side first using the command

stty 57600

Then change your terminal program to the same speed and you should be back in sync. Only then should you do the sz.

I don't know what the Tivo is at (I guess whatever it defaults to), but I was connecting at 9600. Is there any reason I shouldn't/can't use Kermit?

Check to make sure you have hardware flow control turned off in the terminal app. I've used a few different term programs with no problems. Some folks swear by one or another.

Since you can move around and enter commands at the bash prompt, the baud rates are probably ok.

Originally posted by Jimmerz
    I don't know what the Tivo is at (I guess whatever it defaults to), but I was connecting at 9600. Is there any reason I shouldn't/can't use Kermit?
    Kermit should work if you can find a Kermit version that runs on the Tivo. Usually ZModem is faster and less options to fool around with, so it is easier to use.