Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mvchannels solution for 2.5 upgrade

Mvchannels solution for 2.5 upgrade

To get mvchannels to work you need to edit one line in rc.sysinit. Add /tvlib to the path and reboot.
    # Set the path
    PATH=/bin:/sbin:/tvbin:/devbin:/tvlib
    export PATH

Have fun.

can someone please post the MyChannels script cause I cant find it anywhere.

thanx

Originally posted by idokle
    can someone please post the MyChannels script cause I cant find it anywhere.

thanx
    <sigh>

Did you SEARCH for it?

I did.

Look HERE

JJ

Please learn to use the SEARCH button.

There are 2 PATH statements in rc.sysinit, one at line 131 and another at line 453.

I'm assuming you change both?

I only changed the first one. It won't hurt to change both.

Followed the directions, pretty straight forward. changed the rc.sysinit file in the etc.rc.d directory. Added the /tvlib at the end of line 131. .

Wasnt 100% sure where to locate the mvchannels files. I put them in the /hack directory. Ran the command line ./mvchannels.tcl reload. got that same error. I think I will wait for a response on this before doing anything that might create more problems.
    Last edited by Mikell808; 05-13-2002 at 07:33 AM.

Originally posted by Mikell808
    Followed the directions, pretty straight forward. changed the rc.sysinit file in the etc.rc.d directory. Added the /tvlib at the end of line 131. .

Wasnt 100% sure where to locate the mvchannels files. I put them in the /hack directory. Ran the command line ./mvchannels.tcl reload. got that same error. I think I will wait for a response on this before doing anything that might create more problems.
    Mikell808,

Just to state the obvious here... You need to reboot after editing the rc.sysinit file.

And, If it still doesn't work, type 'echo $PATH' (without the tick marks) at the bash prompt and post the output, please.
    -- digitalAir

1 DSR6000R (35 hour) currently running Xtreme 3.1 and tivonet

Originally posted by digitalAir

Mikell808,

Just to state the obvious here... You need to reboot after editing the rc.sysinit file.

And, If it still doesn't work, type 'echo $PATH' (without the tick marks) at the bash prompt and post the output, please.
    Yes in this case the obvious was obvious. I entered the command you recommended and my results were blank. Nothing came up.

it should look similar to this:
    Code:
    bash-2.02# echo $PATH
    /bin:/sbin:/tvbin:/devbin:/tivo-bin/:/tivoweb-tcl:/root/bin:.
    bash-2.02#
    note mine doesn't have the tvlib dir in the path, but then again, I don't use mvchannels...
    -- digitalAir

I still get nothing, also wanted to note that Just tried to JOE my rc.sysinit file just to see if the change was in there or not, changed it so many times I lost track. Apperantly Joe no longer works either. I get an error message saying couldnt open /var/hack/joerc. Now I know the entire forlder of var/hack has been removed, so where do I find the new Joe and where do I make a reference to it so that I may us it in the future?

Looking at the zipped file, joe is now in /tivo-bin, and joerc is in /devbin

If you have a recent version of Winzip you can look at the archive and see all the paths to the files.

I am brain dead...

I have a couple thoughts on why your path might be null...

check a couple things for me...

post the contents of these files:
    /.bashrc
    /.profile
    /hack/root/.bashrc

are you using the rc.sysinit that is included in the Xtreme upgrade? what modifications have you made to it?
    -- digitalAir

I have replaced the rc.sysinit so many times and even used others, I am not sure which version I have. I think I am going to restore the upgrade version first and try the edits before I do anything else. Even got that green screen which supposidly repairs the critical files so I dont know what changes that made to the system either. Have to get to work right now so I will post the contents of those folders later on. Thanks for the help

My research

OK, I've kept quiet on this issue for a while. I've been watching, reading, and researching. I thought I might as well speak up and let everyone know what I have done so far. Maybe it will help find an answer sooner.

History:

First of all the problems go further than some might think. Just look at how many times these threads have been read. There are alot of people out ther lurking and waiting for an answer.

My drive was started from scratch using GT60xtreme for the Sony Sat-T60. (Maye there are differences in the different versions of xtreme.)

I have installed mvchannels (ver 1.35) both before and after the upgrade with no success in running the script after the upgrade either way.

I have also tried the path modification ?fix? with no success. I am convinced that this does not have anything to do with the problem. I even tried to set the path manually without success.

I have tried mvchannels, 900's, and even selectlocals, all with the same errors.

Latest Attempts:

I set TIVO_ROOT to null manually. This eliminated the first lines (labeled Warning) of the error message but continued to display the message: "AttachSharedMemoryFile[XXX]: Can't open key file /var/tmp/pseudo for attach, errno 2".

I then moved the TIVO_ROOT statement in rc.sysinit first to a place more similar to my original (GT60xtreme) rc.sysinit script then to the end of the rc.sysinit script. Neither one worked.

I finally changed back to my original (GT60xreme) rc.sysinit script and all is fine with mvchannels. (This, obviously, effectively eliminates the benefits of the upgrade, but is a good temp fix.)

Conclusions:

There is definitely a problem with rc.sysinit or one of the files it links to that has nothing to do with the path statement. I am not even sure that rc.sysinit is processing all of the statements. TIVO_ROOT is not getting set. I believe that more issues will arise out of errors in the rc.sysinit script.

What I am doing now:

I am trying to do a line-by-line edit of my original script with the changes made by the upgrade. This will hopefully locate the source of the error. There are alot of changes in this script and it may take a long time to complete. Hopefully some-one will come up with the solution before I get done.

Wilde-Man

Wilde-Man's post makes sense. If rc.sysinit isn't running all the way through (I've had similar problems in the past), then my mvchannels stuff at the end won't run.

I did run the path command as stated above, and got the following response:

/tivo-bin/:/bin:/sbin:/tvbin:/devbin:/tvlib:/hack/bin/:/var/hack:/tivoweb-tcl

So, I have the correct path as stated in this thread, but mvchannels not working as posted at the end of the rc.sysinit.