Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: TyTool Alpha #1, a Client/server with internal VSplit...

TyTool Alpha #1, a Client/server with internal VSplit...

Some quick information about this system...

This is my own custom replacement for TivoApp. It basically will do the same thing. I think it does it better. But that is a matter more of it doing what I want in the way I want than any hard proof. Plus I wrote it so I have to like it better.

1- It is written as a multi-threaded single window Dialog app.

2- It is designed to be small.

3- It contains the latest VSplit #12 code internally for splitting.

4- It contains a custom server that has the mfs_stream code burried in it.

5- The server at the very start of running sets it's priority to 1. (the lowest)

6- It contains a custom NowShowing.tcl program. THIS IS NOT THE SAME AS ANYONE ELSES. I should probably have renamed it but I didn't. So make sure you use mine and not the one from TivoApp.

7- This is a work in progress. While it works flawlessly for me. There are things it should do that it does not. Like remember your path and address for you tivo. At the moment you will have to re-enter them at the start of each session. NOT EACH TRANSFER BUT EACH SESSION!

8- netcat, nfs, samba, etc... ARE NOT NEEDED by this system. All networking is internal. While the networking code will work on a serial connection there is still so much data to move that it would take forever...

9- All of the name issues are being handled. the _, ?, | characters and more are dealt with so that I have not had anything I could not grab from my Tivo in a very long time.

10- If you try to extract a show that was already extracted, rather than over-writing the existing one names are tried as follows: file-1.m2v, file-2.m2v, file-3.m2v and so on. There are no popup requesters for this type of thing. I wanted to make sure that processing continued as I tend to run this at night...

11- Extracting and splitting using the internal code differs in run time by only about a tenth to a half a second for a full clip. Not to shabby.

To run it. AND THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT. Some people have started running things at the initial startup via nice little additions to the rc.sysinit file. That is possible with this program but it does not search for the NowShowing.tcl. It has to be in the directory the program is run from... If it can't find it it will fail quickly in trying to get the current play list.

To install:

1- Send the 2 files: tserver_mfs and NowShowing.tcl to the tivo. Put them in your favorite place. Make sure they go in binary mode and maintain the case as found in the archive and shown in this text.

2- Set the permissions with:
    chmod 777 tserver_mfs
    chmod 777 NowShowing.tcl

Yes these permissions are wide open, but security on a tivo?!!?

3- Put the TyTool.exe anywhere that you want it on your PC box.

That's it. You are all installed.

To Run it:

1- Telnet to the tivo and cd to the directory containing the tserver_mfs program. Then run: ./tserver_mfs

2- On the PC run TyTool.exe from either the command line or explorer.

3- Enter your tivo's address, and set the local directory for the where to place the extracted TyStreams.

4- Click the refresh button or select it from the File menu. This will retrieve the current list of shows form the Tivo/DTivo. In an effort to not interfere with recording or playback this is done at a very lower priority. As a result it can take up to 2 minutes to complete with a very full tivo. I average about 30 seconds. It may seem like a long time when sitting there waiting but try to be patient.

5- From the File menu pick the mode you want: VSplit mode or TyStream Mode

VSplit mode runs internally the Vsplit #12 code as the stream is extracted. Therefore no staging .ty file is needed. I have tested the results extensively and they output of this GUI version is identical to the shell version.

TyStream mode just extracts the straight TyStream from the Tivo and saves it as a .ty file. This can then be extracted using the shell version of VSplit.

6- Pick one or more shows from the list. The standard Windows functionality is supports. Click 1, hold down the shift and click another to select everything in between them. Or ctrl-click to randomly select entries.

7- Hit the GET button at the bottom to start the transfer. There is at present no means to abort a transfer... You can close the program and it will exit cleanly but then you have to start it all back up etc... Look for an abort in the next version...

8- It is also possible to extract just certain portions of the TyStream with the Get Parts buttons. At present you can only get parts from 1 TyStream at a time and it can't be Q'd up with other full streams. (I added this feature for the Olympics.)

--jdiner

Ran out of room. The very end of the release announcement should be:

To run the GUI to process already extracted .TY files:

1- Click the Parse File button or select Process File (Oooppps from the File menu. This will open the standard windows file requester for selecting .ty files. Then just open the file and it will process in the same directory as the source. In order to make it easier to do you do not enter a name for the output files. They are built as follows:

file.ty

becomes:

file.ty.m2v and file.ty.m2a.

That's it. Enjoy. And as always if you find a bug, not a feature that does nothing yet, but a real bug please let me know.

--jdiner

Lightbulb jdiner, You are the man!

Jdiner, You ROCK, I have really enjoyed your code. I just had to post my extreme pleasure at every post you throw at me.
    Thank's for your hard efforts, It's seriously appreciated!!!
    I look forward to your EVERY post. Good god, I sound like a woman!

Thanks again

I was doing the same, with good old dos scripting, layered ontop of widows....With a double click on a .ty I did it, but not the same way
    Last edited by scanman0; 05-27-2002 at 03:49 AM.

Hi jdiner
    should this work on XP
    the gui blows up for me

AppName: tytool.exe AppVer: 0.0.0.0 ModName: user32.dll
    ModVer: 5.1.2600.0 Offset: 0000c79f

Alun

Me too, blows up on xp. Attached is error window.

Ok. I obviously did something that Xp/2000 does not like. Which is so wierd. I use it every day. I pulled 12 or so TyStreams down yesterday in an attempt to clean off my SATivo...

At the moment I don't have access to an XP or 2000 box. But I can get it.

But first of what did you do to make it happen? Was it during a download? Or just starting up the program?

--jdiner

Teh same thing happened to my just starting the program. I am running 2K also.

Just starting the gui caused it.

Alun

This is just too wierd. But I guess it is what I get for running 98 for speed purposes... I am going to get XP from a friend. Once I have it installed I hope to have some success in figuring all of this out.

--jdiner

Wink Compatibility

I am running XP and it is working! Just right click on the Tivo Cleint app, select properties, Click on the compatibility tab, check "Run in compatibility mode" and select Windows 98. Should work like a champ! Super program!

Hummm. That is interesting. I wonder what the difference is? Anyone know? What exactly the compatibility mode does?

--jdiner

I dont know, Im running Win 2K and that lil trick wont work

Since it's not working on 2K, I haven't tried it yet (my only systems are linux and 2k).

However, I do have a feature request:

When extracting from the Tivo, can you add an option to touch the .ty or .mpg file creation date to the "original broadcast" date? Also, can you add the option to create a .txt file (with the same name) that has the show description from the now showing list?

(yeah yeah yeah whine whine whine bitch bitch bitch, I know)

I look forward to when this works for Win2K.

Here is the error I am getting after using apcompat.exe in Windows 2000.

I hope this can help.

Jdiner:

In Windows 2000, MS has made a small Application that let you select pre-Win 2k option to run an older application.

In Windows XP, you simply need to right-click the EXE file then set the compatibility mode you want.

Soleil

Update:
    I have tested TyTool with Windows .NET, and set the compatibility option to Windows 98-ME and it load perfectly. I will test Win2K option and see if I can find a winning combination.

Update2:
    Here I found a comment on a Microsoft Group:

"You can't run Win32s applications on a Win32 platform.
    Win32s was an add-on subsystem for Windows 3.1 that allowed developers to create and run 32bit apps on Win16. Win32s apps used totally different DLLs and link libraries than Win32 apps.

Check if the developer has a Win32 version of the application.

cheers."

Last edited by Soleil; 05-27-2002 at 12:53 PM.

Thanks Fragastat, I consider myself an expert and I didn't know about that little trick

I can now run the client app just fine under XP.