Thread: Rebooting DSR6000

Rebooting DSR6000

Upgraded Phillips unit to dual 100GB ide drives several weeks ago and had no problems. Last week one of the maxtor drives started making wierd noises. It has bad sectors and the diag tool fixed them. I them DD's them to WD 100GB drives just to be sure and reinstalled. Now the system just reboots every 20-30 minutes.

I searched for fixes and came across report of power supply problems. I removed my drives and check the voltage. 5.31 volts. I cranked it up to 5.50 as suggested and installed drives. I monitored voltage while the system ran and it fluctuated between 5.24 and 5.26 volts. System rebooted again and voltage never went below 5.18 volts.

So I looked at current consumption of drives at the manufacturer's web site. The maxtor's use 390ma each and the WD's use 800ma! That's double.

I wonder if the power supply can't provide the current needed to run the drives. I'll stick the maxtor back in and see what happens.

Has anyone else seen this and could perhaps offer some suggestions!

Thanks,
    John

System stopped rebooting after I installed the Maxtor drives back into the system. It definately appears to be a current problem.

Uhm...

I hope you mean you "cranked it" down to 5.05 Volts, right?
    Spec for computer drives is 5.00. My DSR came set at 5.29. To cure the bi-monthly lockups I set it to 5.05. No improvement but worth the try. Going the other way is not a good idea at all.

Yeah, I cranked it up to 5.50v. I've readjusted to 5.05v - thanks! I also notice it runs a lot cooler at the lower voltage. Less heat from the volage regs on the power supply