Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sony Dtivo repair

Sony Dtivo repair

Does anyone know a good place to get a Sony T-60 Dtivo repaired. Lightning struck the house and now all I get is "insert an access card" message. *NOTE I do NOT get the message "Please insert a valid access card" when a dss or any other card is inserted it just stays at "insert an access card" . I took it apart and the metal prong in the back of the card slot is still there and appears to be functioning correctly. Being that I made a few modifications to the unit I would perfer not to have to send it back to Sony. I do have a DMM and can do basic soldering and testing if anyone has any suggestions on what i should test.

P.S. my emu computer was also damage so I assume the lightning travled through the emu computer to the card slot area. Everything else seem to be working properly.

Thanks,
    Zannexx

I don't know if they will do a T60, but they do a good job on regular DTV receivers.
    http://www.jd-electronics.com/consrep.html

Lightening

My experience, with lightening damage, is that you are most likely damaged beyond repair. You might salvage the disks, if lucky, but if you took a hit through a pc, and then into the card slot....your Tivo MB has obtained serious damage, and is not likely to be repaired.

Re: Sony Dtivo repair

Originally posted by Zannexx
    now all I get is "insert an access card" message. *NOTE I do NOT get the message "Please insert a valid access card" when a dss or any other card is inserted it just stays at "insert an access card"
    Just out of curiosity, when you access System Information, what does it say for your Access Card ID? If it has numbers, I don't want them, I am looking to see if it says Access Card Not Inserted.

Same Thing

Same thing happened here about 2 weeks ago.

No luck in finding a repair place here. If you find one please let me know.

I did however stumble across an open box buy at a good price. But I am having problems swapping drives to get it up and running.

Original post: http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showth...threadid=14058

Hopefully nothing to difficult to overcome. As fustrating as it may seem, that's what keeps this hobby interesting.

Good luck...Let me know how it turns out.

JMan

Jman

I posted a reply in your thread.

sony T-60 repair

In the system information it says no access card (or something like that). As far as the whole Motherboard being damaged, thats possible but everything else works so i am hoping i am lucky and maybe just card slot damage. I am going to remove the Motherboard see if i can get at those pins without having to remove the Cardslot, if not out comes the soldering iron. Anyway wish me luck

Zannexx

Here's a place where I got several of my Sony DirecTv IRDs repaired. They are tops in my book. They turned my machines around in 48 hours, and are very honest with what they can fix and what they can't. I was surprised, actually. HaHa. They are in North Carolina. I discussed with them whether they touched any DirecTiVos... and they said that they did indeed repair things like modems being hit, and access card reader problems. They did state that they stayed away from software stuff, understandably. For what its worth... they are at...

www.truettelectronics.com

If you call them, ask for Mike.

Just thought I'd mention it.

I can verify that they repair Sony DTiVos, pretty good price, excellent turnaround time.

Re: www.truettelectronics.com

It appears that they sell diplexers as 'signal combiners'

Isn't that a relatively non-technical term for a company that is supposed to be somewhat technical?

The up-side is that they sell diplexers for $2 and I thought that www.multidish.com had a great price at $4 per diplexer...

-Kilroy

Another one

I now have exactly the same problem, lightning hit and now "Insert your access card". System menu shows no access card inserted.

Did anyone find someone to fix this problem?

Thanks.

Yes, send it in for repair to the folks mentioned above.

The IC that talks to the card socket is frapped.

Is this the ATMEL 55882G AT90SC3232C 204 0034 chip? Listed as number 77 on the 9thtee Inside DirecTivo page?

Originally posted by DarkWing
    The IC that talks to the card socket is frapped.

Sorry for bringing back an really old thread, but Im interested in this also, as my card reader seems to have stopped working.
    I thought it would just be the connector itself, but I would assume the reader is just mechanics and if its making contact, its doing its job, so maybe something else....?

Last edited by cruiser1one; 09-20-2003 at 06:44 PM.