Thread: Where can I find a complete how-to from stock Directv w/ TiVo to vid extraction?

Where can I find a complete how-to from stock Directv w/ TiVo to vid extraction?

Also, how exactly does it work?

Do I just connect via network to my TiVo using a turbonet card and then transfer files?

Do the files need to be converted in any way? How much space do these files take (say on a per-hour basis?). I know that when upgrading you get about 0.95hr/GB. Is this the same for when extracting?

Are these files easily re-encodable to DivX or any other format such as SVCD? Can an upgraded Directivo (which would now have two drives) get files sent from both drives (I'd assume yes since the system is basically a specialized linux computer)?

How do you get the ethernet cable from the TiVo to the computer (is any drilling required)?

Can you keep the TiVo hooked up completely normally and still have it connected to your computer, or do you have to do something to it while extracting files?

How long does it take for a 1 hour program to be extracted? Do you use a 10mbps connection or 100mbps?

Basically, where can I find a complete FAQ and guide on going from an upgraded TiVo to a networked TiVo that you can grab files from? I know this forum is the right place, and I'm going to be looking through a ton of threads until I get familiar with it, but if someone could write up even a rough guide it would help familiarize me with the process and make figuring it all out a much easier job.

As for what I have, I have a Directv w/ TiVo Hughes GXCEB0T with the stock 40gb drive. I bought an 80gb drive to upgrade it with and will be doing so within a week or so. It is running the 2.5.2 software and has no software hacks as of yet. Finally, I am in the U.S. using a U.S. unit.
    Last edited by GoldenTiger; 06-18-2002 at 03:01 PM.
    TiVo !

I doubt you will find one document that answers all of your questions, but you can definitely find the answer to each one in the sticky threads at the top of this forum.

The how-to's are a good start. Once you've gotten through them, move to the Video Extracting one.

Hope this helps...
    PaulAS

P.S. I would highly reccommend completely reading the sticky's before trying any of them. Some of the information might not be in the same order you want.

first thing you need to do is go through the "how to's " so that you can get you TurboNet card in. If you dont have a turbo net dont even think about extracting.

First thng you need is a TurboNet card that you can find on 9thtee.com. go there and try and get on the waiting list cause ussually they dont have any in stack cause they sell out very quick. If they dont have them in stack just put you email on the waiting list and you will get a notification very soon.

Yes you DTivo can work normal and you can have your computer connected via a 100mb speed to your DTivo. You can record watch TV and exctract at the same time. The only thing is that while you are exctracing your DTIVO might not respond as quickly to your remote. Dont worry your picture will be just fine.

A movie/show 1 hour long starting from exctracting from DTIVO to making a DVD out of it will take about 1:30min. Now you have to do a lot of reading and reaserch and learn how to do this. At the beggining was taking me about 11 hours do this in a 1.6ghz computer. After reading in this forum I learned a lot a shit that I had never even heard about.

No you get that net card and come back here and ask more questions and we'll take it from there.

Oh I forgot, just to let you know. I stared this TIVO hacking about 1 month ago and I had no idea about lynix or what TIVO looked like inside. Since then I have made 56 movie DVDs. Oh and trust me the picture is perfect. So if you have the will to learn about it you will.

I don't want to make movie DVD's, I just want to store them on my computer in the form of MPEG's, DivX, or even just as TiVo files that can be transferred back. Can someone just give me a step-by-step of what they do to extract a file from the TiVo and then convert it into PC usable format, as well as the setup that was required beforehand to do so? I already read the how-to's and they didn't really help me understand it much . What does scrambling mean? How do you unscramble it? I appreciate the responses so far!
    TiVo !

First thing you need to do is set up your Tivo with either a TivoNet or TurboNet card. I recommend the TurboNet because it's more compact and the end cost is roughly the same since the network interface card is already built in. Check out www.9thTee.com for links to info about either of these cards as well as links for downloading the software and other setup instructions. You may need a CD burner for making a bootable CD. Instructions for doing this are at the aforementioned links. Look for the program file noscramble.o (it's in the how-tos) and set it up on your Tivo. Note that any recordings made prior to turning off the scrambling feature will not be useable for extraction as there is currently no method for descrambling Tystreams after the fact. All Tivo recordings made on a DirecTivo are scrambled and must be unscrambled for proper extraction. I do not believe this is an issue with standalone Tivos and only applies to the DirecTivo units and perhaps series 2 SA Tivos.

Install the TurboNet software on your Tivo hard drive and configure your IP address, etc. You may want to get a small hub to interconnect with your Tivo using regular CAT5 ethernet cables. Otherwise you will need a crossover cable if using a direct connection. You will also need a copy of TeraTerm (do a search for it; it's in the threads somewhere) in order to be able to send commands back and forth to the Tivo using Telnet as well as transferring files (don't waste your time using Hyperterminal). You can also use an FTP program, such as CuteFTP, for file transfers, but only after you have established an ethernet connection to the Tivo. Otherwise, either buy a ready-made serial cable from 9thTee or make one yourself (in the how tos) for use in transferring files and communicating with the Tivo from your PC.

Once you've got your network connection established, download a copy of TyTool (it's in the video extraction how-tos) and set it up per the readme file. Once you've got TyTool configured and scrambling has been turned off, you can begin recording your shows and extracting them to your PC. You will need to convert the videos to a DVD compatible format for viewing on your PC or burning to a DVD. Read the How to DVD text (guess where). There is also no way to transfer the videos back to the Tivo once they have been extracted. Note that extraction merely copies the tystreams from your Tivo and does not transfer them. They remain on your Tivo until you delete them from the Now Showing menu. Now that you have all of this info I would suggest you learn how to use the search function on this forum. You've got a lot of reading to do!
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

GoldenTiger,

Why are you getting way ahead of your self.

First of all there is no such thing as SETUP.EXE that you run to do all of this for you. Dude remember people dont do this for the money and not for how good it looks on a users eyes. We(if I might say we even thought I have not developt anything) don't read this shit anywhere. We have to test everything and a lot of people here have put a lot of time and I mean a lot of time on creating extracting interfaces and such. Beleive me I was the same way you are and I wanted to make sure that everything would work out but never understood a think until I started messing with shit. Take it one step at a time and dont think ahead of you self. We make it happen in here my friend so here are the answers to your questions and please start from step one which is buying a TurboNet then once you get that come back here and read some more and then ask some more if you want. But please get that NEt card so we dont waste our time talking in the air here. I'm not being a dick or anything just wanna make start your project and just keep asking questions.

You were asking if there is a way to get movies out of TIVO. Well, our answer is yes cause we have been doing for sometime.

You were asking how long does it take for 1 hour movie to extract from TIVO to .MPG? it takes about 1:15min on a 1.6Ghz computer.

You were asking what 'scrambled' is? Tivo kinda "encrypts" their videos. I'm not sure if thats the right word but I think that might make it more clear to you. Now you have to install noscramble.o in yout rs.sysinit in order to unscrambled the videos that will be recorded. SO this way our softwares that we use will understand the damn format of the video.

Once you've used unscrambling, can you still view shows on your TiVo?

Are the extracted streams .mpg files since DirecTV broadcasts in a compressed MPG2 format?

/me goes off reading...

idokle

There's no such thing as getting ahead of yourself . You need to know where you're going and the path to go to get there on something like this. I do appreciate the help, though . The time answer was especially important.
    TiVo !

Once you've used unscrambling, can you still view shows on your TiVo?
    All new shows will now be unscrambled and can be viewed as normal. Old shows that are still scrambled can only be viewed if you unload the noscramble extension.

I deleted all my old shows that I knew I could record again. Old shows that I still wanted to watch I kept -- when I want to watch them I just make sure that nothing is due to record, unload noscramble, watch them, and then reload noscramble. It only takes a second.