Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Combining TiVoWeb and TyTool?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    39

    Combining TiVoWeb and TyTool?

    Some people have suggested that it would be neat to be able to play shows right from your TiVo on your PC in real-time from with TiVoWeb.

    Although this might actually be possible, I think we should set our sights a little lower....

    (Note that I don't use TiVoWeb yet, so this feature might already be in there). What would be really neat would be to make it so that you could download the .ty streams through TiVoWeb. Then, on your PC's browser, you'd set up TyTool as a helper application that would automatically split the file into the m2v and m2a parts.

    Granted, it wouldn't lend itself to batch downloads (like TyTool does on its own), but it would be nice to have the all-in-one interface where I could download and then delete the shows from one app.

    All that's really needed is to tie TiVoApp in with SendStream/ExtractStream and to make TyTool work with some command-line options, no?

    - Joe

    - Joe

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    4,809

    Re: Combining TiVoWeb and TyTool?

    Originally posted by jemenake
    Some people have suggested that it would be neat to be able to play shows right from your TiVo on your PC in real-time from with TiVoWeb.

    Although this might actually be possible, I think we should set our sights a little lower....

    (Note that I don't use TiVoWeb yet, so this feature might already be in there). What would be really neat would be to make it so that you could download the .ty streams through TiVoWeb. Then, on your PC's browser, you'd set up TyTool as a helper application that would automatically split the file into the m2v and m2a parts.

    Granted, it wouldn't lend itself to batch downloads (like TyTool does on its own), but it would be nice to have the all-in-one interface where I could download and then delete the shows from one app.

    All that's really needed is to tie TiVoApp in with SendStream/ExtractStream and to make TyTool work with some command-line options, no?

    - Joe

    - Joe
    TyTool #5 adds deleting of shows...

    --jdiner

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Was Frozen North now Sunny South
    Posts
    351

    Thumbs up Re: Re: Combining TiVoWeb and TyTool?

    Originally posted by jdiner
    TyTool #5 adds deleting of shows... --jdiner
    I have just tonight figured out how to mux-and-edit the m2x files and the result plays beautifully. Just in time too, my 160Gigs is about full-up. Where can I send the $$? Let us know, really. Many thanks, this is very exciting indeed, jdiner!

    P.S. I don't know that I want you to mix tytool & tivoweb. Best to keep it fast & lean I think.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Troy, NY
    Posts
    135
    mfs_stream.itcl is a module for TivoWeb that lets you download the Ty stream to your computer

    its available around this forum from what i remember...
    --
    Steven Adeff
    AIM: IndieRockSteve
    http://www.jobs-khakis-chicks.com/TivoLinux/

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    39
    Then all that's needed is the ability to send command-line switches to TyTool so that I can set it up as a helper application on my browser. Ideally, it would support streaming, so that TyTool would be able to split the ty file *as* it was being downloaded... instead of having to download the file and then split it.

    - Joe

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    4,809
    Originally posted by jemenake
    Then all that's needed is the ability to send command-line switches to TyTool so that I can set it up as a helper application on my browser. Ideally, it would support streaming, so that TyTool would be able to split the ty file *as* it was being downloaded... instead of having to download the file and then split it.
    Why? Honestlly? Why use the web interface to download things when TyTool does it internally? The same code that I wrote for the mfs_stream program is what gosquad is using. He just took the changes I made to mfs_export and put in on the web... From some of what I have read there are other things that were added to make it look good and make it easier to use.

    But those things are just another way to do what TyTool already does. If all you want is for it to take command line args then check out the original non-gui application VSplit. The splitting code in it, version Alpha #13, is identical to the splitting code TyTool #4. I have been keeping them in sync on purpose. They one takes command line arguments and splits files.

    --jdiner

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    27

    Re: Re: Re: Combining TiVoWeb and TyTool?

    Originally posted by laserfan
    I have just tonight figured out how to mux-and-edit the m2x files and the result plays beautifully. Just in time too, my 160Gigs is about full-up. Where can I send the $$? Let us know, really. Many thanks, this is very exciting indeed, jdiner!

    P.S. I don't know that I want you to mix tytool & tivoweb. Best to keep it fast & lean I think.
    What are you using for the mux and editing?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    35
    A codec would be cool.
    Last edited by modistru; 06-30-2002 at 02:00 AM.
    (2) Philips SA S1's v3.0.1
    (2) XBox's XBMC 1.0 et al

    Got Search?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Posts
    657
    jemenake,
    check out gosquad's mfsstreamweb97.zip and mrblack51's mfsstream web module v.97, updated for 3.x at:
    http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...&threadid=8092

    I think they're just what your looking for. btw, if you use a browser download manager you can do batch downloads with it, so I am told.

    ...although i really don't see the need. tytool is so damn efficient. transfers faster, too...

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Posts
    33
    I don't know why I didn't think of this before, but this would probably be almost trivial to add to TivoApp. It already uses TivoWeb to download the web pages that describe the shows, so it seems like it might be pretty simple to build a few simple menus to access the rest of the TivoWeb functionality.

    Anybody want me to do that?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    95
    Sounds like a good idea to me!

    Originally posted by garyw90
    I don't know why I didn't think of this before, but this would probably be almost trivial to add to TivoApp. It already uses TivoWeb to download the web pages that describe the shows, so it seems like it might be pretty simple to build a few simple menus to access the rest of the TivoWeb functionality.

    Anybody want me to do that?
    TheSaint

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Monrovia, MD
    Posts
    51
    GaryW,

    What I would really like is the ability to batch-dump to a videotape. Both yours and jdiner's programs already seem to have all of the important information gathered and the front end already in place (oh, and many thanks to both of you for your well-done efforts), so how hard would it be to: allow a number of programs to be highlighted (with an order shown, or a sort capability), and then played on the TiVo right in a row. While I'm still extremely fond of extraction, there are a number of shows that I do tape for "family and friends" which I don't need to archive on digital media, and I would love the ability to take, say, six or eight episodes of 6FU or The Sopranos, slap a tape in the puppy, OTR the entire tape, launch the Hot New TiVo Batch Dump Utility and hit the hay. I can certainly see some monkeyed-up ways to do it, potentially utizing MPLAY or MSAVE, but I'd sure love to have the nice front-ends available. I would not want this to take priority over, say, jdiner's work on remuxing, but it would be a very nice feature to have.

    JM2C,

    - Stu

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    6

    TivoApp

    GaryW,
    YES YES YES, please consider updating TivoApp. Right now with a SA 3.0 unit I am having major problems extracting, I really miss TivoApp. Whatever you can do would be appreciated!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    459
    Originally posted by jdiner


    Why? Honestlly? Why use the web interface to download things when TyTool does it internally? The same code that I wrote for the mfs_stream program is what gosquad is using. He just took the changes I made to mfs_export and put in on the web... From some of what I have read there are other things that were added to make it look good and make it easier to use.

    --jdiner
    I would like it to not require a seperate server running just for convienence sake. If the tserver part was controlled by a module in Tivoweb, it could be started on an as needed basis via tytool, with very little modification to that program, saving a few seconds of telneting in and starting tserver, then killing it when you are done. I think that is what most people don't like about the current tytool.

    You must be doing a heck of a job is that is all we can find to whine about.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •