What is extreme?? Other questions 2
Some background information,
Sony Svr 2000 v2.0.1-001-010
Used Dylans bootdisk to get bash prompt -> Sucess
RCA Directv system source for video
windows 2000 prof. laptop for serial connection to tivo.
no subscription/ open box unit. Purchased 3 days ago.
now some questions,
1. what is extreme and what does it do? It looks like a hacked image of the tivo drive. What other purpose does it serve, what are the hacks it would perform for me? I've found a ton of ways to install it but never a list of uses.
2. I'd like to get ls to work. When I transfer any files from my windows machine to the tivo using zmodem and tera term I get "cannot execute binary file". If I run chmod +x <filename> it does not help. This also seems to happen for the chattr program compiled for the ppc. chattrppc.zip I suspect I'm botching up the transfer somewhere but nothing shows an error and I can't run ls to verify the files.. GGGRRR
I've been working on this pretty solid for the last three days to little avail. My eyes are about to fall out, I think I've read the full faq at tivo.samba.org at least twice and a ton of info from this forum.
Thanks for your time!
Just thought of something else,
No /devbin directory either.
How in the world can I untar a file like tivo-bin.tar.gz when I can't find tar installed on the tivo drive??
v25xtreme is for DTiVos only and enables bash and permits further hacks.
Are you sure the binaries you're trying are compiled for the TiVo platform? They could be the x86 versions which won't work on the TiVo PPC platform.
The TiVo comes with cpio which will untar like this:
cpio -iu -H tar -F ?filespec?
General instructions for transferring a file to DTiVo.
1. Use Tera Term Pro, get here if don't have it.
2. From bash go to the directory where the file will reside. (e.g. cd /var/hack )
3. Enter rz -y (the -y is not necessary but allows the replace of the file if it already exists)
4. Select File->Transfer->ZMODEM->Send (don't use File->Send file...)
5. Find the file in the menu that appears and highlight. (if you take too long the rz command might time out so just try again after bash allows another command in a few minutes)
6. Click Open.
7. The file should be transferred. (don't worry if there is some garbage on the command line, this is normal).
8. If this is an executable file and it didn't already exist, do a chmod +x ?filename? where ?filename? is the name of the file.
Last edited by superzap; 07-15-2002 at 07:59 PM.