Thread: Newbie question?

Newbie question?

Iím very new to the Tivo, I have a script that works with the P2 card, but it work only if I have recording capabilities enabled to it. How can I do that?
    Sorry dudes, but Iím really new to the Tivo. Please helpÖ
    Best Regards

I don't understand your question. Please give more details about what you are trying to do.

What type of a Tivo do you have? Stand alone, or Direct TV Tivo?

If you are using a Direct TV Tivo(example DSR6000K), you can't use a p2 with a p2 bin. These tivos are 5th generation dtv boxes, and require an hu bin(or some MAJOR hacking to the tivo).

P.S. In case you don't know, it's possible to have an HU bin on a P2 card, but we can't tell you how to do it.

Sorry I shut have now bettor, more info!

Iím sorry for not giving more info on this, I know Iím a newbie to the Tivo stuff, but I'm not new to the DTV hack stuff. I know what a P2 P3 and even the new P4 card are and how do you get all channels wide open. I have bin testing Dave stuff for some time now but I have to be honest. Iím on a total lost on getting my DTV IRD with Tivo up.
    I just got the Hughes GXCEBOT D Tivo/DTV IRD and I do have P2 and P3 card, with privet and public script for the Tivo. When I fire up the DTV IRD with Tivo, it gets stuck on the last reset part, acquiring info from signal and it stops at 26 %, keeps giving me an error message. Iím lost her and need some friendly advise on what to do.
    Best Regards

It sounds like your problem is totally unrelated to the Hacked card. You seem to have a problem with the Tivo itself. Maybe a problem with the Hard drive, or a "Hacked" tivo problem? If the case has been cracked before, or you don't mind taking a chance at voiding your warranty, You might want to open it up and make sure that your IDE connections are plugged in right side up and make a good connection to the hard drive and motherboard. Even if your Tivo worked properly, I hope you know that you will have to hack the Tivo so that it "Fakes" phone calls. Otherwise, if you just unplug the phone line, it will stop working in a month or less(but will still load 100% of guide data, and let you watch TV). Do some reading and searching, and if you still can't find an answer to your 26% problem), let me know & I'll see if I can help you more.

You can also pose your question Or do some searches HERE - Just don't mention the Hacked Card Thing.

Dam I'm lost.

Well Iím totally stuck her, Dam! I really appreciate some help on what to do.
    Is there anything specific that I have to do to the Hughes GXCEBOT D (Hack) so it will work with the H card or HU card and get Tivo up and running?
    I have read, read, and read some more and still I havenít found anything specific on what to do to this Hughes and on how it shut work. So Iím asking to all you guys who can help me out on this one please.
    Thanks Groundhog for your help, I hope you wont get tiered on helping out a newbie cuss I thing Iím in need of some more of your help. The box hasnít bin open that I know of, but itís a used box and not entirely sure on itís history. If its bin hack or if something has bin don to it docent show. Like I said, Iím not a newbie to Dave stuff. You can find me on www.dtvhacks.com Itísbin some time now that a havenít felt like a total newbie, thatís why I all was tray to help out the newbies who just starting out on Daveís stuff.
    Last edited by TJsMex; 07-21-2002 at 01:27 AM.
    Best Regards

Well the first thing you should do is confirm that the unit fuctions properly. You need to be able to get past the 26% guide data problem(aquiring info). Even with no card in it, I believe that it should be able to load 100% of the guide data. If you can get it to that point, what you can do is install Extreme 2.5 on it(do a couple of touchy things with bash).., and get it to work without having to make phone calls. Even if you don't get it to load more than 26% of the guide data, there is a chance that extreme will fix it, but if it doesn't.....You just have more stuff to troubleshoot. Sorry. Your situation is a little complicated, and you have a long way to go. Maybe some other people can shed some light on the guide data problem?

Big thanks.

Thanks, you help is more than enought, Iím beggining to understand the how toís with this hack. If I only can get past the 26% problem. Dam!
    If you come across some one that can help me out, please let me know will yaÖThanks.
    Best Regards

You obviously can't watch Live TV, but can you get to the other menu screens. Try pushing the Tivo Button at the top of the remote. If you can get to the main menu, go to "Messages and Setup" Find an option for a system reset(reset to factory standards?). If you can't find it, do the next most drastic reset, like "Clear and Del Everything". See if that fixes the 28% problem. If not, you may need to call tivo & ask how to do a full system reset.

Angry Still cant pass the 26% problem

Dam still no luck!
    I'm beginning to think that the guy that sold me the box scam me.
    Well I bin lucky so far until I decided to buy this Tivo DTV box on ebay. It was a matter of time...LOL.
    Best Regards

Well, worst case it's a problem with your hard drive(hopefully worst case!). Anyway, the fact that you get as far as you do is a good sign. If you just got a green screen, and nothing else, it would be much worse. If you want to invest a little time, you can get a copy of extreme, and apply it. There's a good chance that it may fix you problem if it's just a software/hacking issue. If the drive turns out to be bad, you can just use any 30 gig or larger drive, apply extreme and I would bet that you'd be good to go. If you happen to have a 2.0 drive image available, and don't want to spend the time downloading extreme, you can just try applying it using Hinsdales guide + the required files & see if that fixes it. I would assume you need a good clean working image, but based on what you want to do, eventually you will want a copy of extreme.

To take a couple steps back, check out my first couple of posts. Make sure that you check the IDE connections, prior to doing anything. Make sure that they are right-side-up and pluged in correctly. There is a notch in the connector which will help you confirm if it is upsidedown, or not.

Thanks...

Thanks, I really do appreciate your help. I did download Extreme 2.5 and I thought it would never finish. Iím going with your suggestion and open the box to hack the hard drive, wish me luck. I will keep you posted on my progress, and thanks again.
    Best Regards

Good luck! Don't forget to make extreme bootable. In Eazy CD creater, you need to select "copy image of CD(or something like this)" & select .iso. in the file type options.

Sounds to me like the Dtivo is not getting a signal from the sat. Check your unit to see what the signal strength is.

We have a major storm blow through last month, it dropped my signal strength to 00, i rebooted the Dtivo and it got caught at about the same place.

If i am write, then its just a matter of checking the LNBs, the Coax cable or the Dtivo.

It's on 90...

The signal strength is at 90, I donít think it's that. But thanks for the suggestion I do appreciate it. It just keeps train to get guide info from sat and it stops at 26% so I just donít know what can it be.
    Best Regards

for both even and odd transponders?

SD