Thread: New User - DSR6000 question!?

35 New User - DSR6000 question!?

I "won" a Hughes GXCEBOT (DSR6000) off eBay recently.
    I LOVE this thing - I think I will have a new hobby here...

Anyways I KNOW I have a lot of reading to but I was hoping that an old-timer could gently nudge me in the right direction. I WILL be upgrading the Hard drive from the 40GB Quantum in it and I will likely purchase the TurboNet card as well.

This will probably the first of MANY question that I have but here goes:
    This unit is apparently hacked - it says lifetime subscription and daily calls are completed successfully without a phone line plugged in.
    A question is "How do I tell what has been done to this unit?" I am making a serial cable and will play with the terminal program to see if I can do anything. Is there a way to tell if it is "Xtremed".
    System information says 2.5-1-001 (taken from my memory - hope it's right) - also when I first plugged in the unit it went through a guided setup and an upgrade process.
    The second question is "When I go to the system information it tells me that the recording time is variable, up to 24 hrs - this doesn't seem right!?" From what I have read this indicates that an image was not written correctly? Can I assume that the TivoMad was not done properly to this Quantum 40GB drive when it was written? "Is there any way of correcting this time problem?"
    Like I mentioned - I will almost certainly add a completely new drive to this unit - thinking of a 120GB Maxtor. "Should I just keep the Quantum as a backup since it DOES work and build the new drive up as a single drive replacement?"

Thank you for any help - I hope this will be a long and fun hobby for me - I am very excited! (Reminds me of hacking the Atari 800's OS chipset in the '80's - heehee)

YUPITSME!

Can I assume that the TivoMad was not done properly to this Quantum 40GB drive when it was written? "Is there any way of correcting this time problem?"
    Like I mentioned - I will almost certainly add a completely new drive to this unit - thinking of a 120GB Maxtor. "Should I just keep the Quantum as a backup since it DOES work and build the new drive up as a single drive replacement?"
    To the TivoMad question....Yes apparently it was done wrong. Actually, extreme was applied wrong, if it was extremed. What you have is a 40 gig drive with a 30 gig unexpanded image on it. I would suggest using the 40 gig along with the new 120 gig drive. There is no longer a need to keep a whole hard drive as a backup. We can now make backups as small as 130 meg on a CD rom. People only keep hard drives as backups when we couldn't compress the image on a single CD. You can look into Tivomad to see if you can expand the drive & add the 120 gig at the same time(I'm not 100% sure if this can be done?), or you can just download extreme, and do a fresh install of extreme and set it up for both drives. Try exploring the Tivo mad thing first. If you have to do extreme, you may want to follow it up with Kraven's update. If you don't, you will need to at least do a fix to clear the logs.

I can't give you details as to how to confirm if it was extremed. It sounds like it was just because the unexpanded 30 gig extreme image on a 40 gig drive is a somewhat of a common problem with extreme. Otherwise, you just need to explore the file structure, and see if it matche extreme's. You would need to do a little reasearch to know what to look for. Don't know why it matters. It sound's like the unit is hacked the way you want it. If I was you, I would confirm the log hack, however. All your hacks could dissapear one day if you don't. The only log fix I can think of right now is "Clearlogs", but there is a more popular one that is slipping my mind. Try the Sticky's at the top of the directTV tivo forum.