Thread: Question about Daily Phone Call..help??

Question about Daily Phone Call..help??

Hello All,

I have been reading for quite awhile now and have successfully upgraded 2 DTiVo units (Philips dsr 6000 and Hughes clone).

I decided to purchase another Philips dsr 6000 and do the "magic" on the unit. I picked up a unit that had the original 35 hours (Quantum firebaLL DRIVE). I checked system information before doing anything and realized that the unit as is...had upgraded to 2.5.2. I don't think that this is a problem because I removed the Quantum fireball and replaced it with (2) 80gig Maxtors...5400 rpm...these are sweet!! Ok...let me tell you that this is the first unit that I have done with 2 drives. The others have been only 1 drive... Well here is what I did:

1. Removed original Quatum fireball HD
    2. Jumpered 1 80g to master, 2 80g to slave
    3. Put them in PC....both recognized fine..
    4. Boot from CDROM....25Xtreme...
    5. I answered "yes" when it asked me if I want to install DTivoMad. Was I supposed to do this?
    6. Aswered other questions about drive A and B and yes to > 140g.
    7. Left Drives jumpered as Master and Slave (was I supposed to?? Noticed that original Quatum Drive was set to cable select??)
    and put back in the TiVo.

After this was finished, I plugged in bash cable and rebooted my TiVo...I was able to get bash prompt and I rz'd KRavEN's xtreme update file and followed directions in the readme..

Ok..here is what happens...When I try to force the phone call...it goes thru the motions, says succeded, and then a few seconds later says failed, unknown error. When I check system info, it says Account status: 5: Lifetime ...... and Tivo Service Active..

So sorry for the long post but I can't seem to figure this one out.. I have searched this forum under...phone call and various other search topics but I don't understand how to fix it... I think it is something with adding (2) drives....this is the first time I have done a 2 Drive upgrade.. The single drive upgrades went without a hitch...

Do I have to Reinstall 25Xtreme and start over?
    How can I eliminate the problem with the phone call? this didn't happen on sigle drive units??

Thank you for your help...

tictoc2

Try restoring a good copy of fixsub.tcl to /tvbin. Get it from Kraven's upgrade. You also need to have /tvbin/logsNull for this version of fixsub.tcl.
    If that doesn't do it, restore TClient-lib.itcl.
    Last edited by superzap; 07-26-2002 at 10:02 AM.

Thanks superzap..a few more ?....

Thanks,

Well I went ahead a re Xtremed and re updated again from stratch from KRavENs update. I still have the same problem...Call will succeed and then fail, unknown reason. I have a few questions though, and even if they are simple to answer, in my opinion, the only dumb questions asked are the ones that aren't asked...

1. If I don't have the input from the dish going into DSR6000, will this effect the forced call and result?

2.In the readme file from KRavEN's xtreme upgrade, after step 6, this command, at step 7, " mount -o remount,rw / " does this have to bee done from the root dir? or does it matter? I have been switching to root after step 6 and before step 7.

Other than that, I don't know what else is wrong??

I put drives in PC, Jumpered correctly, installed from 25Xtreme boot cd, followed prompts, DtiVomad.....because I have (2) 80g maxtors. When all was done with 25Xtreme, I put Drives in TiVo..put all together...bashed in...changed speed...rz xtreme-update.tar.gz to root and then followed readme......I don't know what else...??? Thanks..

PS Superzap...could you go into a little more detail on how to do what you have suggested? I am a newbie, only 3 units under my belt. Thanks.

Tictoc2

I suspect one or more of the following scripts is failing:
    logsNull
    noppv.tcl
    fixsub.tcl

First let's see if the files exist and if they are executable. From bash:
    ls -la /tvbin/logsNull /tvbin/noppv.tcl /tvbin/fixsub.tcl

You should see 3 lines displayed and at the beginning of each should be a string like this:
    -rwxr-xr-x
    The 3 x's should be there indicating executable.

If not enter the command:
    chmod +x /tvbin/logsNull /tvbin/noppv.tcl /tvbin/fixsub.tcl
    Then try the call again.

Otherwise if that checks out, transfer new copies of the 3 files. You can unzip upgrade.tar.gz on your windoze pc. Here's some instructions ===> http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showth...6063#post56063

you might try skipping Kraven's updates. It may be better to apply only those updates you use and need individdually.

Thanks again for helping superzap...

Thanks again for helping superzap. I have a cut and paste from a bash session....take a look:

bash-2.02# mount
    /dev/hda4 on / type ext2 (rw)
    /dev/hda9 on /var type ext2 (rw)
    /proc on /proc type proc (rw)
    bash-2.02# cd /
    bash-2.02# mount -o remount,ro /
    bash-2.02# mount
    /dev/hda4 on / type ext2 (ro)
    bash-2.02# cd /
    bash-2.02# ls -la /tvbin/logsNull /tvbin/noppv.tcl /tvbin/fixsub.tcl
    -rwxrwxr-x 1 501 501 1396 Jul 26 19:35 /tvbin/fixsub.tcl
    -rwxrwxr-x 1 501 501 148 Jul 26 19:35 /tvbin/logsNull
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 501 501 6569 Jul 26 19:35 /tvbin/noppv.tcl
    bash-2.02#

Does everything look ok? I haven't done anything yet but install the xtreme update and then follow the readme.....

Does this part have anything to do with it?

/dev/hda4 on / type ext2 (ro)

What do these 3 lines mean?

I know that the rw ...read and write...
    I know that the ro ....read only...

I hope that I can get this forced phone call problem fixed.

Everything is ok in system information screen... Lifetime TiVo Service and Tivo service: Active..

And when I force the call, it says suceeded for about 5-7 secs...then switches to failed, reason unknown..

What else?? Thanks

tictoc2

A couple of suggestions...

Try replacing /tvlib/tcl/tv/TClient-lib.itcl from here ===> http://dealdatabase.com/forum/attach...=&postid=19430
    Try the call.

If that doesn't work, reload v25xtreme, touch SubTest, and don't load Kraven's upgrade and try the call.

Thanks superzap..I think I fixed it...

Thanks again superzap,

I think that I fixed it. It seems to be "dialing out" on its own now. What I did was rz KRavEN's xtreme upgrade file again to root directory. I then did:

mount -o remount,rw /

I then followed all instructions in KRavEN's read me for the upgrade...

After all directions were completed, I did:

mount -o remount,ro /

I think that because the upgrade mounts root as read only, I couldn't replace any files.

I am very greatful that there is an information source like this forum to be able to turn to. I am also glad that people, such as superzap, are willing to help. It would have been very easy for you to just ignore my post for helpand move on. But, you tried to offer your help, and I appreciate that...I am learning more and more about DtiVo. Thanks again for your help.

Tictoc2