Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Streams back INTO MFS

Streams back INTO MFS

I've been asked to post this here from the guys on the Extractstream mailing list. This tool allows you to re-insert a Tystream back into the MFS. You first need to vsplit into .mpv and .mpa
    components. These have to be visible from the TiVo's Unix disk space (disk, NFS, SMBFS).

For example, say I had recorded a 30 minute program (1800 seconds long) which is now two files fred.mpv and fred.mpa. What I could do on the TiVo is:

bash-2.02# tivosh file-to-recording.tcl fred Fred 'The Fred Show' 0 1800

This would looks for the files fred.mpv and fred.mpa, recombine them, install the combined tystream into the TiVo MFS filesystem as /Recording/TmsId/Fred (that's the second argument above). Then in Now Showing you would find a program called 'The Fred Show' which was recorded starting at 0000 hours (midnight) and going for 1800 seconds (30 minutes).

This works for 2.5.1 SA systems, no idea for other systems. If your system doesn't have the MFS directory /Recording/TmsId, choose any other MFS directory.

Drawbacks: at present, only one tystream is re-inserted. If there is a Tcl-savvy person out there, here's my wishlist:

- a script to export details of an existing Now Showing program out to an ASCII Unix file.

- this script modified to re-import the above ASCII Unix file so the Now Showing actually gives real details of the recording.

- this script modified to allow an arbitrary # of TyStreams, which would become Parts in the new recording.

Anyway, it's a start.

While I am no expert TCL scripter, it didn't look too tough to make it use a list of files and a separate .txt file for each show's attributes. It doesn't have much in the way of error checking, though.

Its usage would be:

YListFileToRecording mnt/Mylistoffiles

and Mylistoffiles would look something like
    mnt/fred fredshow
    mnt/mysecondshow show2
    mnt/mythirdshow show3

etc.

Each file set needs a .txt file to supply the attributes, one per line:
    Title
    Episode
    Description
    StartTime
    Duration

For example, fred.mpa, fred mpv, and fred.txt should exist. Fred.txt would look like
    The Fred Show
    Fred writes a TCL Script
    Fred's Tivo gets a Green Screen of Death (tragedy)

The downside is, I can't test this since my SA Tivo hasn't been hacked yet. I'm waiting for the warantee to expire.

Hamsterman

[Edit 8/2: Fixed two syntax errors, put back .tcl extension]
    Last edited by Hamsterman; 08-02-2002 at 09:51 PM.
    "There is no gift like the present"

Question 3.0?

Has anyone started to look at this on a 3.0 SA?

Mike

15 Hmmmm

I have a copy of ele2striple from 2.5 and ran the file-to-recording script. Needless to say it hosed my system and I had to reinstalled an image.

Sorry for your trouble mpauley but thanks for making the attempt. Sounds like this would be a great thing to get working for SAers also.
    Philips Standalone v3.01 w/2-80G drives and Tivonet.

Bummer, mpauley.

I'm wondering if ele2striple is incompatible with 3.0 OS, or if the MFS changed with 3.0.

If the former, then for 3.0, the insertion may have to take place in two parts. The first part would be to boot into 2.5 without running myworld (or the guide data would get hosed) and running ele2striple from there. Once that is done, then reboot into 3.0 and run a script that adds the recording to the Now Playing list.

I guess I'll find out in a month and a half. I'd better build an extra boot partition.

Ken
    "There is no gift like the present"

Inserting non tystreams

How flexible is this? If I have a 48 khz mpeg1 layer II audio file, and a 480x480 mpeg2 video file, can it build a valid tystream out of them?

Has anyone tried this on a dsr6000? I tried a test.mpv and .mpa but it just forced a reboot. Just wondering if anyone has been sucessful.

Cheers,
    gosquad

I just looked and noticed this commented in the file to recording TCL:

# Someone (who?) wrote most of this. Warren just added the bit to
    # copy the Unix files into the MFS.

The origional script was written by tivo themselves. All versions, including 3.0, have this script in its origional form already present in /tvlib/tcl/tv/, and as expected, theres no reference to ele2pestripple (same with all prior versions, the origional script just takes an MFS file, and references it for now showing, the step to go from ext2 to MFS was called elsewhere). No doubt ele2pestriple was put there for tivo to use remotely as opposed to for our own personal enjoyment to make us happy, and they probably still need its functionality for adding advertizements from downloads, etc. as evidenced by file-to-recording.tcl still being there (unless they were too lazy to remove it? but then why not just be lazy and not remove ele2pestriple either?).

I bet hope isn't lost for 3.0, the issue is just finding what they use now instead of having to find out how to write to MFS (or try any other arcane tricks). I am guessing they possibly have integrated ele2pestriples functionality into tivosh? hell, who knows.
    Last edited by AlphaWolf; 08-09-2002 at 03:06 AM.
    Before PMing me: Iím not your personal tech support. If you have a question, ask in public so I don't have to repeat if somebody else asks. If you want images or slices, use emule. I will ignore all support PMs.

Sponsor a vegetarian! I have taken the pledge, how about you?

Re: Inserting non tystreams

Originally posted by Kythorn
    How flexible is this? If I have a 48 khz mpeg1 layer II audio file, and a 480x480 mpeg2 video file, can it build a valid tystream out of them?
    I thought it had been demonstrated already that SA Tivos will play a 48kHz file, though I forget how this was proven.

On a side note while all of you guys are digging-around into various files & versions of the software, please look for any evidence of an audio bitrate sample setting. Would be very nice if SA Tivos could be told to record at 44.1kHz or 48kHz vs. 32kHz to get compliant VCD and DVD audio streams w/o upsampling. In fact I have $50 to anyone who can ID how to do this!

It's still a mystery to me how the Resource Editor was developed (i.e. how someone found out how to change the video resolutions and Variable bitrate settings). As I think of it, has anyone ever seen anything regarding how the CBR settings are done (Best 5.8Mbps, High 3.5Mbps, Med 2.6Mbps, Basic 1.47Mbps). Would be nice to be able to adjust these too.
    Philips Standalone v3.01 w/2-80G drives and Tivonet.

anybody know what type of object ele2pestriple creates when it imports mpeg files into MFS?
    Before PMing me: Iím not your personal tech support. If you have a question, ask in public so I don't have to repeat if somebody else asks. If you want images or slices, use emule. I will ignore all support PMs.

What if you start off with a .ty stream?

If what ele2pestriple does is re-mux the split files into a ty stream, what if you start with a ty stream? I've got the 3.0 software, and would like to put stuff back into my TIVO, but have no ele2pestriple. However, I'm interested in just re-inserting .ty streams extracted directly off my box, so the question is:

If I have a ty stream that's still together, how can I put it back into MFS so that I can run file-to-recording (the original one) and put it into now-playing.

I have not used the extraction tool supplied with the ty tools package, but I seem to rember that the more recent releases trimmed the 'bad' chunk or non-mpeg data at the begining of the files. It could be that while no one has bothers to decode this data, it is actually being used by the system in some fashion. If you have some streams that work and some that don't you might want to look at the first chunk and see if it is the 'trimmed' files that are failing.

Here is the same script I posted in this thread, only this one is meant to work on version 3.0 tivos (but still only works as well as the last one). The reason I am posting it is because I found something interesting, there is an inconsistency between mfs_export and tivoshes mfs import/export tools.

I took a TY file which is 34856960 bytes long prior to inserting it, now when I export it back out, its 34734080 bytes long. Somewhere in this process we are outright losing over 100k of information. This leaves 3 possibilities, either A, ToMfs doesn't properly import files, B, mfs_export doesn't properly extract files, or C, I am missing some sort of database information in my TCL script that enables tivo to read the file properly, and hence why nothing will play back when imported with this script.

If A or B are the cause, theres nothing that I could do, as I lack the programming knowledge.

C would be the cause if ele2pestriple added something to the database that I am not aware of. Unfortunately ele2pestriple doesn't work for me, so I can't find that out. If somebody could show me what attributes the db object(s) created by ele2pestriple have, I might be able to figure it out, as well as why NowShowing.tcl reports the filesize as zero all the time. (hell maybe I could also get the video imported by this script to actualy work).

EDIT: TheDoctor: what your describing is probably the cause of the problem, I just realized that the mfs_export variant I am using does that. I need to get ahold of one of the plain vanilla ppc compiled binaries, but unfortunately they have all been deleted from the sticky, and tridge no longer puts the binaries up for some reason.

EDIT2: Actualy forget that, I'll just write a script to extract with FromMfs later.
    Last edited by AlphaWolf; 08-12-2002 at 01:42 PM.

You could go back and try the origional version of mfs export. A chunk if I reacall is 128k bytes long, so the loss of one would be consitant with what your are describing. I believe that the mod version corrected the ending lenghts for the undersized streams, lowered the priority and dropped the opening chunk, but you would need to check old posts to verify.