Thread: Xtreme on a UK Tivo?

Xtreme on a UK Tivo?

[apologies for duplication - reposted to a more appropriate group]

I cant find any posts from anyone who's loaded the xtreme image onto a UK Tivo and there are no Thomson images available for download.

Are the stand-alone Tivos all the same internally? Is the Philips image usable? Anyone tried it?

Otherwise, can I achieve the fixsub hack manually? I can find the TClient-lib.itcl, fixsub.tcl and logsnull files but I've read that I might need a prom file??

I already have a turboNet installed and get my updates over broadband.

Any how-to's for this?

Thanks.

I tried the Philips 2.5 image and the directtv image, just because I went to the US and bought 2 discs with them on.

The tivo boots on both but it needs a lot of messing to get it to work properly. The most obvious problem is that it is black and white because the initialisation is for NTSC.

What are you trying to achieve. If you get updates over LAN then presumably you have a subscription because if you haven't and the tivo is seriously hacked then the ethernet / internet updates stuff your hacks.

I disabled the internet access because I got fed up with removing all the non used channels that TiVo decided I should have in my list so I basically just have the UHF broadcast channels, 1 scart channel and 5 channels for the different satellite / cable / VCR boxes that I have on my UHF distribution with in my house.

I sorted fixup and wrote a slice file to enable manual record (ver 1.5 SW). The TiVo now sits, working, doing most things that I want.

Still have a wish list like enabling IR control of the other boxes in the cellar via some webpages on Tivoweb, changing boot parameters over telnet to allow me to boot on 7 or 4 which has 2.5 / 1.5 SW on and extending the instant record button to 1 hour but generally its fine as it is.

I can't see why you would want extreme.

The tivo boots on both but it needs a lot of messing to get it to work properly. The most obvious problem is that it is black and white because the initialisation is for NTSC.

Is PAL not then selectable?

What are you trying to achieve. If you get updates over LAN then presumably you have a subscription because if you haven't and the tivo is seriously hacked then the ethernet / internet updates stuff your hacks.

I have a sub, but I'm buying another tivo and dont want to pay another sub to get programme updates. I feel mildly justified in this since I'm not costing them anything for phone calls.

I disabled the internet access because I got fed up with removing all the non used channels that TiVo decided I should have in my list so I basically just have the UHF broadcast channels, 1 scart channel and 5 channels for the different satellite / cable / VCR boxes that I have on my UHF distribution with in my house.

I haven't seen any extra channels appearing in the list, well, other than all the non-subbed Sky channels (I have a FTA-only box)

I sorted fixup and wrote a slice file to enable manual record (ver 1.5 SW). The TiVo now sits, working, doing most things that I want.

I'm not sure what you're describing, can you elaborate... what's fixup? I've seen mention of a slice file elsewhere but don't know what it is. I'll do another search.

Are you using your Tivo just for manual recording without programme info?

Still have a wish list like enabling IR control of the other boxes in the cellar via some webpages on Tivoweb, changing boot parameters over telnet to allow me to boot on 7 or 4 which has 2.5 / 1.5 SW on and extending the instant record button to 1 hour but generally its fine as it is.

I can't see why you would want extreme.

Well, only to achieve the sub, and for the convenience of just flashing a drive off a CD-ROM image. I'd also read warnings against it too so maybe I'll forget that and work out how to achieve what I actually need.

Thanks for your reply

Addressing your points where I can one at a time

PAL is not selectable anywhere other than editing the TiVo files. I don't know if this needs to be a binary edit or a script file edit.

If you have a subbed TiVo and you are trying to get the programme listings off the subbed TiVo and put them on your unsubbed TiVo then this is possible but requires a lot of reading and general changes to the way the tivo normally does things.
    The tivo downloads slice files containing programme (and other ) data from the tivo servers. These are stored in a directory on the hard disc within the tivo called /var/packages (I think). When the tivo has finished with these files it deletes them. You need to stop the tivo deleting them and copy them from the tivo, either to your pc then to your other tivo or you need to copy them directly from tivo to tivo. not forgetting that they should also be copied to me for my unsubscribed guideless tivo. Once copied these slice files need installing into the special partition on the tivo using dbload, a utility you will find all over the place. This installs the guide data onto the unsubbed tivo from the packages directory.
    As I said this will require editing of the script files that are on a normal tivo and adding some scripts of your own to copy the files about.

My tivo is used without having gone throught the guided setup because I didn't want all the multiple channels that you get in a normal UK tivo and I wanted to be able to install and remove channels as I move and change the decoders and things in my house.

Fixup (or fixup2) is a utility for pretending that the tivo has a lifetime subscription. It is a script file that is run on boot and periodically from within the tivo and results in less nagging and means that the setup info says lifetime subscription. It is also available all over the place. I only use my TiVo on manual, having no guide data. Actually I rarely record anything because I have the instant pause buffer set to 4 hours and if I dont get to watch what I want within 4 hours of it being on then I figure I probably don't have time to watch it anyway.

A word of warning.

Do not start editing things with half an undertanding. This forum will educate you when you are not sure so ask, before you do, if you are not sure. If you trash your disc then the UK image is hardish to get and will put you out of commission until someone posts you and image. The disc is very easy to trash leaving the TiVo un-bootable. Backup the hard disc before you start. This isnt a sure fire way of ensuring recoverability but it certainly helps.

has anyone tried a US image on a UK tivo and then gone back to the UK image?

did the UK image work ok or does the US image screw anything up?

Looking at trying a sonysatt60 2.5 image on uk tivo (because i want to run palmod to try to get australian channels through the built in tuner)

Cheers

I went back to my original UK image after trying the US ones, nothing had changed and it behaved as though nothing had ahppened.

thanks

i put the hdr112 2.5.1 image on my uk tivo today - got the powering up screen but then after that no display (tv went to blue screen)

tivo is clearly working because remote works as does tivoweb (and i get the pings when i press remote buttons!)

Mjolinor - what did you do to get video? did you use scart of aerial out?

any help would be appreciated

cheers
    david

Probably should have mentioned that. I used the scart. There were no RF channels but I never expected them to work.

thanks

i'm using scart as well but lose the image after the powering up screen

did you play with any of the rc.sysinit video settings?