Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TyDVD (DTiVo -> DVD) success!

Talking TyDVD (DTiVo -> DVD) success!

Well, I finally got sick of the time it took to DivX everything and broke down and bought a DVD burner (Pioneer DVR-104) and some cheap media (www.supermediastore.com).

Boy, am I glad I did. This is the simplest thing ever! I just burned a Babylon 5 DVD complete with menus and it worked great.

Here's what I did:

1. Extracted the tystream from the TiVo to my machine.
    2. vsplit the .ty into .m2v and .mpa
    3. used DVDPatcher to patch the first header of each B5 episode to 720x480
    4. Imported each .m2v into SpruceUp (and let it crash)
    5. used DVDPatcher to patch the first header back to 480x480
    6. Re-imported each .m2v into SpruceUp (no crash this time)
    7. Made my menus (optional)
    8. Saved as a Disc Image
    9. Burned with Nero 5.5.9.0

Works like a charm!

Now, though, I'll have to get my friends and families to upgrade their DVD players to ones that play DVD-Rs so they can borrow my new DVDs.

You should be able to burn three unedited episodes of B5 (or any other one-hour show) to a DVD. I create a main menu with a splash screen indicating what episode numbers are on the disc and a button to a submenu. The submenu contains the titles for each episode and a button to activate each one. I've made up a template with the main menu and submenu with sample text on each. When I'm ready to burn the next three episodes to DVD I open up the template, import the shows I've already patched, and edit the episode numbers and show titles. I then do a "Save as" with the episode numbers. I place chapter stops at the beginning of the program and at the beginning and end of the commercial breaks so I can jump right past them. I've also made up some nice DVD labels. Do a search for Babylon 5 on the net and you'll find some sites with some nice photos. I'm still working on the jewel case inserts but I want to make them right before I start printing them out.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

im using the same method above and the same dvd burner. When i put my burned dvd in my dvd player video is great but shifted to the left so its cutting half the screen off? Did I burn the dvd wrong or is it just my player.

If I simulate the DVD in spurceup it is correct but on my standalonme its off center.

Player is PIONEER DVC302D 3-Disc/DVD Player
    Last edited by Frogbutt; 08-03-2002 at 07:18 PM.

wolkowh Guest

Its just your player

Originally posted by Frogbutt
    im using the same method above and the same dvd burner. When i put my burned dvd in my dvd player video is great but shifted to the left so its cutting half the screen off? Did I burn the dvd wrong or is it just my player.

If I simulate the DVD in spurceup it is correct but on my standalonme its off center.

Nope, did it properly, just your player

wolkowh Guest

Its just your player

Originally posted by Frogbutt

Nope, did it properly, just your player

The symptom is problematic with older DVD players. Most current models will play DVD-R and DVD-RW disc just fine. I recently bought a new Sony DVP-NS715P progressive scan player for $199.00 at Best Buy. Actually, I got it for about $188.00 because it went on sale the day after I bought it and I got a refund of the price differential. It plays both DVD-R and DVD-RW discs perfectly. I think if you check out the current batch of players on the market you'll find most, if not all, are compatible with TyDVDs.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

Originally posted by captain_video
    You should be able to burn three unedited episodes of B5 (or any other one-hour show) to a DVD. I create a main menu with a splash screen indicating what episode numbers are on the disc and a button to a submenu. The submenu contains the titles for each episode and a button to activate each one. I've made up a template with the main menu and submenu with sample text on each. When I'm ready to burn the next three episodes to DVD I open up the template, import the shows I've already patched, and edit the episode numbers and show titles. I then do a "Save as" with the episode numbers. I place chapter stops at the beginning of the program and at the beginning and end of the commercial breaks so I can jump right past them. I've also made up some nice DVD labels. Do a search for Babylon 5 on the net and you'll find some sites with some nice photos. I'm still working on the jewel case inserts but I want to make them right before I start printing them out.
    Yeah, I wanted my post to be simple and to the point so people would easily see how to do it, but I did burn 3 B5 episodes onto my first DVD, complete with a menu and the whole bit.

I started putting chapters before and after the commercials too, but then decided that was silly and just put them at the end of each commercial. I won't ever want to jump to the beginning of a commercial.

I've heard that with Maestro or some of the other tools that are a bit more powerful, you can make it so that while playing, it can skip chapters entirely. That would be very nice, then chapters at the start and end of commercials make sense.

You are correct about Maestro. You can set it up to skip to the end of the next chapter when it transitions from one chapter to another, essentially bypassing the entire chapter. I suppose with some practice this could be done very easily. I have only tried using Maestro briefly and quickly discovered I'm no whiz when it comes to learning a new program unless I have an easy to use tutorial or have someone show me how something works. It's probably due more to laziness than lack of ability. For some strange reason, I can only get a portion of the Maestro window to be displayed on my monitor in Windows2K. It probably has something to do with the resolution I've got set for my display adapter or perhaps an incompatibility with some of my hardware. Anyway, I figure it's less time consuming to pick up the remote and hit the chapter skip button when a commercial crops up than it is to go through the whole Maestro authoring thing. SpruceUp is a cinch to use and works fine for my needs.

Does anyone here know of a DVD authoring app that you can turn-off the "check asset for compatibility" feature that [all i have] seem to possess. I have a SA Tivo which records sound at 32kHz. I have a feeling my player will play this, but I can't find an authoring app or methodology to try this. They all want 48kHz audio. Anyone?
    Philips Standalone v3.01 w/2-80G drives and Tivonet.

Originally posted by laserfan
    Does anyone here know of a DVD authoring app that you can turn-off the "check asset for compatibility" feature that [all i have] seem to possess. I have a SA Tivo which records sound at 32kHz. I have a feeling my player will play this, but I can't find an authoring app or methodology to try this. They all want 48kHz audio. Anyone?
    Let me know if you find one. I've tried all kinds of things to get the 32k audio onto a DVD without sync issues.

The only thing I have found that works is to transcode using TMPGEnc. It takes forever, but the audio gets resampled to 48k. TMPGEnc does a lousy job resampeling the audio, but its the only thing I have found that doesn't mess up the sync.

On the plus side, I can edit out commercials and encode into 720x480 video which is 100% DVD compliant.

On the minus side, you loose a generation of video quality and it takes for ever.

I tried to only transcode the audio file, while leaving the video alone, but I had all kinds of problems with sync.

Let us all know if you find something better.

Maestro...

I've been looking for SpruceUP or preferably Maestro and I'm just completely having no luck. I don't really expect any replies, but if anyone wants to take pity on me, please shoot me a PM.

Originally posted by FreydNot ...I tried to only transcode the audio file, while leaving the video alone, but I had all kinds of problems with sync...
    I tried DVDit! SE last night and was excited to see it has a "make noncompliant DVD" mode to importing assets, but it still choked on my 32kHz SA Tivo audio! Importing a muxed mpg file caused it to abort. Next I tried to import m2v and m2a separately, and it accepted the m2v just fine (after a msg that it was "not standard DVD") but again it didn't like the audio. So it was the audio I'm sure that caused the mpg to abort also. Hard for me to believe there's no way to make a vob file/DVD w/32kHz audio.

Anyway transcoding to me is defeating the whole purpose of extraction, so I will continue to pursue this. There's gotta be an audio resample utility somewhere that will upsample to 48kHz and keep the same program length and thus sync. Then at least the process would be reduced to a very few steps:

1. Extract to m2a and m2v
    2. Resample the m2a
    3. Burn m2v and new m2a to DVD (using DVDit or faked-out SpruceUp)

If anyone has any comments by all means make them. I feel like I'm very close to a breakthrough w/my SA Tivo but have to figure out this last little piece.

Originally posted by FreydNot

Let me know if you find one. I've tried all kinds of things to get the 32k audio onto a DVD without sync issues.

The only thing I have found that works is to transcode using TMPGEnc. It takes forever, but the audio gets resampled to 48k. TMPGEnc does a lousy job resampeling the audio, but its the only thing I have found that doesn't mess up the sync.

On the plus side, I can edit out commercials and encode into 720x480 video which is 100% DVD compliant.

On the minus side, you loose a generation of video quality and it takes for ever.

I tried to only transcode the audio file, while leaving the video alone, but I had all kinds of problems with sync.

Let us all know if you find something better.
    Don't transcode the video. Just upsample the audio. You can use TMPGEnc to do this (choose Audio-Only). But, I recommend BeSweet. You can pick up a copy at doom9.org (the tool is command line, but there is also a gui available). It uses a tooLAME dll to do mp2 encoding. In fact, the same author also has an AC3 (dolby digital) encoder (and gui).

I have successfully created dvd's using both of these audio tools.

I believe your audio sync problems stem from the fact that the Ty m2v file is not in proper mpeg order (it's in display order instead of decode order -- or visa-versa) -- JDiner is working on that...
    -- digitalAir

1 DSR6000R (35 hour) currently running Xtreme 3.1 and tivonet

Upsampling audio to 48kHz

Originally posted by digitalAir
    ...I recommend BeSweet...
    I have used dbPowerAmp and TMPGEnc in the past and just tried BeSweet on an hourlong .m2a file. Perfect. So what works is:
    1. Extract to m2v and m2a using TyTool
    2. Upsample the m2a file (alone) using BeSweet or TMPGEnc or dbPowerAmp
    3. Rename the whatever.m2a to whatever.mpa (so SpruceUp sees it as the companion audio to m2v)
    4. Patch the 1st header of the m2v file to 720x480 if not already DVD-compliant
    5. Import "whatever.m2v" and the .mpa file comes along automagically in SpruceUp
    6. Save the project, quit SU and patch the file back again
    7. Re-launch SU and finish authoring/testing
    8. Write to Title Set (hard disk); get video_ts folder
    9. Test w/software player
    10. Burn to DVD-R w/either SU or Nero

Not sure FreydNot why you had trouble w/sync. I'm making music DVDs so sync is absolutely critical.

But I still want to find a way to get the original 32kHz MPEG1 Layer 2 audio into a VOB (DVD program) to try, that would take out the upsample PIA. Any ideas to try, however off-the-wall, are welcome at this point. The above 10 steps really wear me out.

Re: Upsampling audio to 48kHz

Originally posted by laserfan ...10. Burn to DVD-R w/either SU or Nero...[/B]
    I have to qualify this in that SU seems to still have problems with this burn-to-disk step if the video is noncompliant. Also I found that Nero won't accept the VIDEO_TS compilation (title set to use SU's term) in straight 'DVD Video' mode. Seems the mode that works is 'DVD UDF/ISO'.

Maybe this is "old news" to you Nero users out there but I was stumped by it (the DVD-ROM ISO disc I made wasn't recognized by my player at all) until I tripped-across a tip on UDF/ISO mode at the vcdhelp web site.