Thread: prompt problem

prompt problem

my books, websearch and threads... can't find an answer

when I type PS1="\w\\$ " behind the bash I get a perfect new bash that shows the current dir.

When I try to do this from a script like

#!/bin/bash
    PS1="\w\\$ " && echo prompt altered || echo prompt not altered

I get a msg saying [prompt altered] but that is not true. I still have my old bash prompt.

I have read and read about / "and ' untill I fell a sleep and now before I go to bed I turn to one of you to help me.
    Where do I mess up? nevermind the msgs I try to output....I want that prompt to obey my will-)

Last edited by Lure; 08-10-2002 at 06:35 PM.

I put this in my .bashrc file.

PS1="\s-\v[\w]$ "

darn

Bubblelamp wrote:
    I put this in my .bashrc file.
    PS1="\s-\v[\w]$ "
    Thx in the first place: it's a nice prompt-) think I'm gonna use it.

BUT
    my problem stays the same. when I type this command behind the bash prompt it changes to you beautyfull bash-v[/var/temp] but when I put it in a script it doesn't do a thing. no error msg, no changing bash...

I think my question is more a question on how to run a command from a script then then anything else. Hope someone has an answer, in the meantime i'm back to the books. hopefully my 5 hours of sleep will clear up my vision.

the general rule with shells is that when you run a shell script, it will be run in a newly spawned shell. In other words, what's happening is when you do:

#script

what's happening is that a new bash process is being created to run your script. the prompt of _that_ process _is_ changed as you request.

this isnt true for .bashrc, of course.

the way to tell your shell to _not_ launch a new shell for a script, and to run it in the current process is to precede the script name with a ". " - thats dot-space. This is in general; I've not tested on the tivo yet, but id be extremely surprised if this is different.

SAVED!

angra said
    I've not tested on the tivo yet, but id be extremely surprised if this is different.
    you ars SO right and im SO happy. problem solved!
    THANK YOU; ANGRA and bubblelamp too

Last edited by Lure; 08-11-2002 at 11:09 AM.